www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guandique -- Charges dropped
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you mind divulging who the Watergate lawyer is that bailed Darrell Condit out of trouble in FL?

It is cringe worthy to note that DCheney was speaking to GC during this inflammable time prior to 9/11.

It's in chapter Rock Creek Park in Murder on a Horse Tail.

Jon Sale, who worked for Archibald Cox and Leon Jaworski.

The point being, this was pretty high powered stuff to get a two state fugitive for six years living under an alias released at all.

Ponying up $50,000 and sending a former Watergate lawyer did it. Someone wanted Darrell out of jail very badly after Chandra disappeared.

Although this whole case is by definition involved in politics, and I contend there's a degree of diverting a murder investigation from the halls of Congress to pin it on an illegal by making Chandra a jogger she wasn't, this has never been about typical ideological scandals. It helps that Condit was a Blue Dog Democrat, a Democrat but conservative who had been recruited to switch over to Republican, so the political ideology are fairly non-impactful to the case.

By all accounts, Condit was well liked by his constituents and respected for his work, and Cheney was dragged into this on the day Chandra disappeared by a last minute request from Condit to meet. Cheney gave him some of his lunch hour if you will, which would be time that wouldn't already be booked up. I believe Condit requested this meeting the previous day when he was at White House.

Why he would want a meeting with the Vice President on his timeline the day Chandra disappeared, and use it to say that he had meeting with Cheney at 12:30, returning to office at 3:30, which covers the time Chandra disappeared, is a good question. The meeting was only 20 minutes, 12:30 to 12:50, and for that matter he didn't return to his office even at 3:30.

He was not seen again until 6:30 for a sense of Congress vote. (not that anyone was ever quoted as seeing him, but two sense of Congress votes were made)

rd
rd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This case needs some high profile media exposure - like it had in the beginning before 9/11. Seems like an almost impossible task to try to get the media to do that again. Supposedly Lawrence Kasdan ("The Big Chill", "Silverado", "Star Wars - The Force Awakens") is going to do a show on the case for TNT.

It was announced as being based on Finding Chandra. I am hopeful for Chandra's case that the miniseries is more nuanced than the book.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read recently that CA LE tested some of the extraneous DNA from the Ramirez cases and found that he may have had an accomplice. Why doesnt LE do something similar with the "contamination" DNA found on the clothing? I would have a lot more faith in the process if they could account for the contamination. My belief is that this DNA is the key to solving the case.

All of the people handling the evidence should have been in the DNA database. To say that the DNA found on her tights is contamination yet unidentifiable is I think Justice wanting it unreasonably to go away. Now they had to drop their case they never had and identifying the "contamination" DNA didn't seem to be of interest to them for some reason.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I read that this "contamination" DNA was taken from semen. Shouldnt that rule out LE and expected workers?

You might be referencing both DNA found on her underwear in her apartment (yes, it was semen) that was identified as Condit's (there's been less denial of a sexual relationship since then), and DNA found on her leggings in Rock Creek Park a year after she disappeared which was unidentified and ruled out as Guandique's or Condit's.

LE (nominally FBI) said it was "contamination" but could not identify it. This occurred for first trial in 2010, the forensics was redone is my take on it, not years old analysis with no attempt to reidentify.

There are several problems with all this.

One is that "contamination" would most likely come from evidence handlers whose DNA is identifiable. That it is not identifiable yet excluded as a source of the murderer is almost criminally falsifying evidence by the Justice Department in my opinion.

Two is that in any other case DNA not of the suspect would eliminate the suspect of the crime, and if already convicted, free the suspect. Not in this case, not with these Justice Department people. They had nothing, and what they did have they called contamination.

A judge recently ordered a large number of Justice lawyers to take an ethics class due to their behavior in another case. I have been saying that the Justice lawyers involved in this case, many of them, have shown no integrity whatsoever for as long as I've been writing about this case.

An ethics refresher wouldn't begin to right the wrongs they've done to Chandra's case.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you stand in agreement that CL was alive and well until her computer signed off the internet around 1? And that at that point, she departed from her apt. without ID, only to end up off the beaten path of Horse Trail while in bondage with her own leggings/tights?

Actually, I leave it to the reader to decide if Chandra was alive and well when her internet was logged off just after Condit walked out of Cheney's office.

There was the scream very early that morning. (Chapter The Scream). And I provide an analysis of the activity on her computer that morning of her disappearance. (Chapter On Her Computer). With the information initially provided, and I saw nothing that shed light in later testimony, there is actually nothing that identified Chandra as being on her computer.

There was one flight fare alert that was forwarded to her parents without comment, something that is pretty odd, given her parents asking about her plans and Chandra having just recently left a message for her aunt with big news to tell her. The flight fare alert concerned info for her parents flight to LA, not info about Chandra getting out there. And of course there was much Chandra told her aunt she didn't tell her parents. Still, nothing personally identifiable in what occurred.

Could an impersonator choose to forward an email relevant to her parents to them? I think that's a stretch. I also don't really see what would be gained by impersonating activity on her computer, especially when the bulk of the activity was searches on Condit and his family, some travel to France info, Baskin Robbins which was something they shared, and a link to Rock Creek Park from Washington Post activities page which brought up a MapQuest green blob of a detailless map captioned Rock Creek Park, worthless for much of anything.

But then Chandra is found hidden 100 feet below a horse trail just above a 70 foot cliff in Rock Creek Park, and if there was ever a setup to link Condit to her disappearance this would be it.

On the other hand, her computer hard drive was found completely destroyed the next day after police visited her apartment and then paid Condit a visit. There was also a note on her counter that mentioned cerebral hemorrhage and cardiac arrest.

You can't make up stuff like this even if you were a very imaginative spy novelist.

I also have grave doubts that her body was at that location in Rock Creek Park that day and was in advanced decomposition there while the park was searched. One thing mentioned in descriptions of the site where her remains were found was the large number of artifacts in the area. This is a very very remote location compared to the jogging trails along Beach Drive far below but it is a place if you parked at picnic table 18 where you could go back in the woods and have some privacy.

The decomposing of a human body there without anyone noticing, dogs drawn to it, noticeable animal activity, birds and such, is hard to believe. When a guy did walk his dog down that slope, his dog found her skull under some leaves. But that was a year later. What about every other dog for the previous year?

rd
rd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"her computer hard drive was found completely destroyed the next day"
This conflicts with official reports that the police accidentally crashed CLs laptop but you have proof that her laptop was physically destroyed?

"There was also a note on her counter that mentioned cerebral hemorrhage and cardiac arrest."
Was not aware of this item. Assuming it is in her handwriting, why would she write those particular medical terms?

Both the completely destroyed hard drive and cerebral hemorrhage note are from testimony in Guandique trial. The note especially was completely out of left field. Discussion determined that finding it on her counter was related to police searching her apartrment, visiting Condit, and coming back next day and finding her computer completely inoperable and the cerebral hemorrhage note on her counter. None of this was connected or commented upon at time back in 2001. It is only through one side remark from Gainer to explain delay that we knew hard drive had to have data read off of it.

I'm searching on my posts on this during Guandique trial:

excerpt from Washington Examiner:
"....In addition to Condit’s business card, items [D.C. Police evidence technician Charles] Egan was asked about included a handwritten note mentioning cerebral hemorrhage and cardiac death that was found on Levy’s kitchen countertop."

excerpt from McClatchy:
"Under questioning by defense attorney Hawilo, [FBI supervisory special agent Jane] Dombowski acknowledged that the computer’s hard drive also showed signs that police officers had used it during a May 9 search of Levy’s apartment."

From chapter Investigation in Murder on a Horse Trail:
"Niles Lathem of the New York Post reports how police sources describe the first questioning of Condit on May 9."

excerpt from Washington Post:
"Detective Sgt. Ronald Wyatt said he visited Levy's apartment May 9 and looked around.

Wyatt said he saw her laptop computer switched on and browsed it to see what sites she had recently visited. Then he turned it off to get a search warrant.

But when he returned the next day, the laptop powered up, but nothing was there. "The operating system was obliterated," Wyatt said."

excerpt from McClatchy:
"A trained forensics examiner, [FBI supervisory special agent Jane] Dombowski said she had to send the hard drive of Levy’s laptop to a Minnesota-based company in order to extract information because the hard drive could not otherwise be accessed."

excerpt from Washington Examiner:
"Domboski testified that when she removed the hard drive for examination, the forensic exam station did not recognize the data."

my comments:
It's clear that the "obliteration" was meant to lose everything on Chandra's computer. It took a facility to take Chandra's hard drive apart and read the data with a special read head to find out what was on her computer.

And I think it's pretty obvious who didn't want that information known. And it wasn't Guandique.

I can't even do more than guess where the note about cerebral hemorrhage on her kitchen counter, kept secret all this time by DC police, fits in with the secret overnight attempted destruction of her computer while a search warrant was being obtained.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The decomposition stench has been sticking out like a red flag alert. There is no way the body could have been in that exact location during those critical stages of decomposition when the gases and fumes escape. So, where was this precious young lady's body held during this time period? It is truly a difficult thing to consider that a diabolical killer kept her body secreted until it no longer held a foul odor.

Things like making Chandra a jogger when she wasn't, ignoring the effects of a decomposing body, and even having Guandique up there at Grove 18 is just a mind numbingly ignoring of the facts and reality. Did any of these prosecutors even walk up that massive hill from Beach Drive to grove 18 to have any idea of their claim that Chandra was assaulted on the No Horses path into the forest from grove 18?

They surely didn't let the jury see it because then they might have some idea of what the prosecutors were claiming. I mean these ethics averse people just don't care at all what they tell an ignorant jury to get their conviction.

That is not justice for Chandra or whoever the prosecution is allegedly seeking justice for.

I don't know where Chandra's body decomposed, there was no sign of DNA from decomposition at the Rock Creek Park site of her remains, but I find it very odd that Condit hightailed it off the House floor when he got word that the DC police were searching around his condo building, and was heard from next by Ann Marie Smith at midnight. The phone number that showed up on her cell phone was a pay phone in Luray, Virginia, well inland into Virginia from DC.

Condit had given instructions to another former mistress about getting rid of dead bodies, his body presumably should he die while with her, and first off was to call a number, using a pay phone.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Condit had given instructions to another former mistress about getting rid of dead bodies, his body presumably should he die while with her, and first off was to call a number, using a pay phone." Was this person a mistress during the same time period as Ann Marie and CL?

Public Defenders were requesting a number to be allowed to testify, I believe the "call this number from a payphone to get rid of a dead body" mistress was not granted for testimony due to being in the picture a few years before Chandra.

There is no doubt in my mind that Chandra met Condit when she was working internship with Gray Davis in Sacramento and Condit's kids were on his staff. He told Flammini about a girl he had met at that time. The significance of that is that the "married doctor" in Sacramento was Condit (later said to be an FBI agent in DC). She was familiar with Condit's motorcycle in a remark to her aunt but Condit had his motorcycle out in California. This explains how her paid internship at Bureau of Prisons was arranged, and has significance in timing of her abrupt departure from her paid internship after asking Condit about a black minister and his daughter back in California just before she disappeared.

It is Luray Condit went to when the pressure was directed toward him in search for Chandra, something that wasn't supposed to happen.

I made a road trip to Luray (chapter Luray) and called my home number from that pay phone and talk about in chapter Luray. The interesting thing is that Condit's information to police was that he didn't have a car, so things like driving to Luray wouldn't have been expected to be possible. It's only through Ann Marie Smith coming forward (out of fear for her life) that police knew about his car which he kept at Dayton's house in Virginia. Which is where he came from the evening he threw the Tag Heuer watch box in a trash can in a Virginia park on his way home to meet police. Which is the person his changed timeline was said to have driven Condit home the day Chandra disappeared. Before that he said he met an ABC news producer until the news producer asked for the timeline and some helpful Condit staffer gave it to her. That's the only way we know about all the lies he was telling the DC police about his whereabouts when Chandra disappeared.

As if the DC police cared.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Condit had a brother that was a policeman and whether Darrell was in DC

Chandra did date a policeman and had broken up before meeting Condit. It was a "married doctor" she said she was seeing while interning in Sacramento. She told pretty much everyone she communicated with in California (parents and some friends and her aunt towards Baltimore) that she was dating a Congressman, but told her friend the intern who was working for the Congressman that she was dating an FBI agent.

No one has ever said that Darrell was in DC when Chandra disappeared. However NE said he was missing from his temp job for a couple of weeks during that time, unknown how valid. Also Condit told police he had a relative staying with him before Chandra disappeared (and before his wife flew in), unknown who that relative could be.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not follow the Guandique trial and was surprised to hear that CL's hard drive had been wiped clean shortly after her death... In the chapter entitled "On Her Computer", I saw you reflecting on the possibility that it was not actually CL on her computer. Have CL's normal web browsing habits ever been released (or discussed at trial)? 3.5 hours is a long-time to be casually surfing the web. I am wondering if that amount of computer time was normal for her. If CL's computer was working when detectives first arrived at the scene but was destroyed while the SW was being obtained, someone clearly accessed CL's apartment and computer after her death. Did this same person perform the computer activity on the day of her death?

Glad you got to take a look at some of what I wrote, there's a lot more, hope you have other questions to think about.

First, a clarification. The computer hard drive wasn't wiped clean. It was obliterated, that is, damaged such that neither the laptop nor even removing the hard drive and placing it in a read device could access it. However, a lab did read data off of it. This is done with more powerful equipment for scanning the hard drive for data.

So we ended up knowing what was on the computer despite the attempt to destroy it. Obviously a blatant destruction would have lost all data but this was an attempt that was not noticeable, i.e., not a sledgehammer attack. It was a more careful slamming or something that didn't break the laptop case.

I wrote On Her Computer to describe what happened and let the reader decide if it was her. After all, there was nothing that identified the user. The closest thing to a personal activity was forwarding a fare email to her parents concerning flights for them, but forwarded without comment. It would take someone that was familiar with Chandra to do that.

Of course, the Condit's were separately occupied at that time, and that is a lot of effort for no known benefit. The only thing that makes sense is to make it look like Chandra was not abducted in the wee hours and that wasn't her scream. Also it was focused searching on the Condit's and included a high level activity search on Rock Creek Park through the Washington Post, not with any detail, but yet her remains were found there. So if anything if not Chanda it would have been a setup of Condit for her death, although that would be a pretty extreme conspiracy theory.

The key to this is that Condit was never supposed to be tied to Chandra. That was the point of all the secrecy. And she honored that for the most part, one slip to her aunt gave it away, but she said you didn't hear that and her aunt pretended she hadn't. I'm sure Condit didn't know she was telling family and friends back in California she was dating a Congressman though, although she denied to her parents it was Condit.

Condit didn't find out until Chandra asked him about Rev. Thomas and his daughter, an inconsolable father telling her mother to warn Chandra about Condit. Whatever the reason, when Chandra asked Condit all phone records ceased as of that day, she was told to leave her paid interneship job the next week, Condit's wife flew in, and Chandra disappeared.

Even then, he didn't expect the police to link him, so when they came to question him about Chandra while they were getting a search warrant for her computer, they find her computer obliterated the next day, And a handwritten note on the counter about a cerebral hemorrage and cardiac arrest on her counter. In what handwriting? No details given. This was never mentioned by police. The Public Defenders raised it at Guandique's trial.

Why would there be a note like that on her counter? Remember that Condit's first story to police was that Chandra was obsessed with him and distraught at his refusal to take her calls, and the police thought she was suicidal. They didn't even look for her. They were waiting for her body to be found. Someone also told them and it got out discretely to some reporters that Chandra was a "frequent jogger" in Rock Creek Park. The anonymous early reporting on that (no bylines) cited "friends' that said Chandra was a frequent jogger in Rock Creek Park. Yet her actual friends Sven and Jennifer said it wasn't even a concept she entertained. I believe the only source of that could be Condit. He was a "friend" he told police.

There are no known normal browsing habits of Chandra, her parents probably would be only possible source of that. It looks like right down her bookmark list with heavy searching on Condit and his children, including Lexis Nexis Congressional schedule which of course is an expensive paid service. She would have used her government password for access although no longer an intern, or of course password could have been saved and user just clicked through, so again your call. But once in the usage was of determining Condit's schedule.

Most likely it was Chandra, and whoever obliterated her computer after Condit was linked to her that evening with police visit, didn't necessarily know exactly what was on it, just that they didn't want police to see what activity was on it.

And of course they would need a key to her apartment, which was not found with her remains.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Jennifer Thomas

Due to the sensitive nature of the possibly innocent bystander nature of the people involved, the reporting on this was pretty murky.

I don't know with any more clarity than I wrote at the time, and I believe I leave some questions in that chapter. They were never answered.

The takeaway I had on this was that true or not, and there's definitely truth in what the reverend told Chandra's mother, just don't know that Condit was actually involved or a person in the news that lived down the street, but the takeaway to me is that Chandra asking Condit about this would have sent shock waves through him for many, many reasons, and logged phone call communications between them ceased that day, she was told to leave her paid internship job the next week, and she disappeared a few days later, still in secret communications with someone.

She had big news for her aunt and was checking for a message every few minutes the day before she disappeared. She spent late night and mid morning searching on news and activities on Condit and his family, and it is very likely the big news came from Condit.

But between the Thomas information and Chandra demanding a confrontation with his wife, any news from Condit was likely misleading.

rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: