www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Rating app screen demo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Double Deck Pinochle Rating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: First Rating app screen demo Reply with quote

I got this first screen demo working last night. I won't have it on DNS till ready but you can take a peek to see the screen.

Enter something in user and password and click on Login or Register.

It serves up another login screen without doing anything with the entries. Just a loop to see the screen displayed.

http://173.8.38.42/IBMi/login

More to come as I get the screens working.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

intro post to LinkedIn:

Easing my toe into the water

Ok, I've got all the pieces of my Double Deck Pinochle web app working and merging them now until I get a completed app. I am serving from home 520 development machiine for now.

My experience all these years was that I had little to no legitimate non-ARIN (and ARIN proxy servers) traffic for my true crime oriented web site. So years ago I blocked non-ARIN traffic and same for access to my hosted website and later my home network. That will change a little for whatever interest there may be in accessing this app so I will gradually be removing the IP blocks at the /8 level as I hear from anyone that is blocked.

This app login web page is the lightest weight option with HTML/CSS only and self contained for maximum performance. This only displays a page and loops on serving the login page without doing anything with login or registration. Just for purposes of taking a look and talking about serving a somewhat unconventional IBM i web app. :)

I do not have this domain pointed at my 520 yet until I have the app ready for production. I am posting this link to my hosted website which contains a post with another link to my game app web page on my IBM i.

http://www.justiceforchandra.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=48

The entire Double Deck Pinochle app is RPG. I have already fiinished and substantially tested the game logic as a dataq server. The web pages are designed such as this one which is static, but the others have game data (hands, bids, plays, etc.) merged into the web pages template style. For this I am not using CGIDEV2 but inspired by it. Just the e-RPG like CGI API calls Brad Stone style for reading environment variables, reading standard in, and writing standard out.

I have written this and expect this to be as lean and mean as any game serving software out there.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also find of interest that game web pages I just designed are entirely float, no absolute or relative positioning that would break as screen is expanded or shrunk greatly. Including a bit of CSS to accomplish this the page is only 11k. Written with a text editor and served from IFS (read once and buffered).

I assumed I would need to start with some javascript package and reviewed them to see what to start out with, but was overkill for my web page served app approach. Everything about this, server and web page, is entirely unconventional and breaks the current molds.

The server game logic is complex and is based on strong session control but still the whole architecture is extremely lightweight. My thought is that many web apps are no more complex than this and this approach serving from IBM i may be proven to be more effective.

We will see as I ramp up the other pages.
rd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I found out today is that some browsers in various settings are not able to render UTF-8 fonts which I find remarkable given all the talk of setting the web page code to UTF-8 for compatability. I've been researching trying to see what the deal is and it's pretty ugly.

My point being that the web page is colorful but if the UTF-8 is not rendering based on settings, browser code, etc. then all you see for cards are empty squares.

I will be replacing with SVG graphics right away. Hopefully more universal. My goal is still to be resizeable based on screen.

Also I got a message from a friend here that gave me his IP address and I am unblocking that range. I don't want to drop all blocks because nothing but evil comes from much of the internet to visit servers so I'll just drop blocks as needed.

There was mention of static web pages above which I want to clarify.

The initial login page is unchanged from the IFS file it's stored in, however I am feeding it to standard out to Apache from my CGI program. I am just not inserting any HTML code yet to display data. When register and login is enabled and there is an error, such as login not recognized, then I will emit the page again but with an error message inserted in a message line spot (the message lines are visible and initially populated with welcome info).

Likewise the play page is same as with the login page but the cards are what were dealt, not a set pattern as on the login page (one each of each card). The web page HTML code looks just as static, the only difference is cards that were dealt and table will have what is being played instead of the 4 aces.

And it still feeds from the CGI program, just with card data inserted as submit buttons that look like cards. The login page the cards are display only, not buttons. The difference is in moving a pointer over it becomes live for clicking versus staying dead as in over the rest of the page. The only live spot in the initial screen is the Login and Register buttons.

Obviously this is the opposite of the current fad of SPA web pages with a javascript engine, DOM manipulation, AJAX, etc. But I think this is the right lightweight approach to high performance web serving with rock solid session control and recovery, whether it be suspend the game for a break or loss of communications or any other reason. Logging back in picks right back up where left off.

I think that's an important part of showing the value of an IBM i server, along with performance.
rd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the initial card font to Helvetica and added a drop down select list for card characters. I want to start out at least with card characters and add optional various card image downloads later.

The point of putting this first screen up was to be able to discuss it and get some feedback, and I got lots of valuable feedback. Much appreciated.

I'm now going to be moving full speed ahead in to populating web pages from the processing in my Double Deck Pinochle dataq server program. Still some work to do. But I'm pleased with how this architecture is working out.

Just a reminder, the program doesn't do more than look at the button clicks and then serves up another login page in same or requested look. It's a live but minimal demo of what the screens look like.

thanks
rd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

replying to: "I really don't know why one would code CGI in RPGLE when NET.DATA provides a very readable alternative to the gobbledy-gook."

CGI is three API calls, Get Environment Variable, Read Standard In, and Write Standard Out (QtmhGetEnv, QtmhRdStin, and QtmhWrStout). They're external process calls instead of external program calls that we make all the time. And standard in and out isn't even an API call in most languages (and I'm pretty sure was added to RPG in a recent release).

So there is nothing indecipherable to "read", just normal RPG programming. In fact it's similar to IFS file processing code I wrote for another personal project, only instead of streaming out to an IFS file I stream out to standard out. The whole web CGI thing in RPG on the IBMi is a piece of cake and outperforms anything else in existence by far.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice big step today. I now have my Double Deck Pinochle domain in DNS with the IP address of my 520. My (non-functioing) welcome page now can be accessed at:

http://www.rdwpin.com/IBMi/ddpin

I have a firewall that blocks most non-ARIN traffic so please let me know via email at ralph@ee.net what IP address range to unblock if you want to take a look and get no response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Double Deck Pinochle Rating All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: