www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guandique Jury has reached verdict - Guilty felony murder
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was ample reasonable doubt with what was presented to the jury.
rd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, and it's what the defense lawyers knew as well, but when you're talking life and death you have to go above and beyond and prove the doubt, not just suggest it.

Certainly they did a good job suggesting reasonable doubt and pointing out nothing was proven, but the jury weighing an alleged cellmate confession against suggestions with no background or knowledge is an ignorant jury returning an ignorant verdict.

That's the defense lawyers direct responsibility to take the time and effort to educate those jurors and hear from Guandique himself counter that cellmate confession in his own words.

Sure that opens Guandique up to harsh questioning from the prosecutors, and every bit of it was needed to educate the jury. Very few people know the facts of this case that needs to be known to come to a sound judgement.

On the other hand, most people have seen enough of Condit to not need to know any more than that to come to a reasonable doubt conclusion.

But that isn't the jury. The jury needed far more education, and the defense was bent from the beginning on in and out, they didn't prove it, we will keep them ignorant of the whole story behind Gaundique, Condit, and Chandra.

At least some jurors would have known that Chandra wasn't there at all, Gaundique wasn't up on the No Horses path, and Condit had far more motive and opportunity and no alibi.

The defense didn't attack. A famous name defense lawyer would have aggressively counter attacked with that information. This was an attack against procedure instead. Totally insufficient, and we knew it, and posted it, but Guandique got good public defender defense rather than Condit's expensive nine high profile lawyers defense.

As usual, politics and money serves as justice in this country.

rd
jane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd, you're talking about the kind of defense that gets red-hot guilty people like OJ and Robert Blake off. Guandique really didn't need that kind of defense.

There is something fishy about this whole trial - many people (who know far less about the case than we at this board do) have said it never should have gone to trial in the first place, and that is absolutely true.

The judge and the prosecution should feel embarassed and ashamed for pretending there was even a case there. But this is what the government wants. Therefore, although I hope it will be appealed, I don't hold out much hope that Guandique will ever get off. He is the scapegoat - that's what the Washiington Post and the government want, and that's the way it is.
Rainbow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: No Discovery was a Discovery! Reply with quote

When I spoke w/Ms. Sonnenberg on the phone right after Mr. Guandique was indicted, she told me that she was already having difficulty getting discovery from the prosecution. I was very naive to think that she was wrong.
jane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really naive, Rainbow - just thinking that there is such a thing as justice. Such a thing as regard for truth and honour. Well, there is such a thing among ordinary people - but the higher you go up in the echelons of power, the less there is. It is very sad.
rd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You point out what jane is saying, and jane is right. This was run as a war campaign from the beginning, and propaganda from the Washington Post was a calculated part of it.

If I were El Salvador I would demand extraction of their citizen as surely as the US government demands extraction of its citizens from Iranian justice.

The justice in both of these cases is comparable. There is none.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had jury duty today here in Jacksonville. They were selecting a jury for a sexual assault case.

I told them I had spent the last year blogging about the Chandra Levy sexual assault case and had made many harsh statements about prosecutors, defense lawyers, and the jury.

They didn't pick me for the jury for some reason.

But looking back on this ridiculous guilty verdict, I obviously wasn't harsh enough at the right time to the right people.

rd
Rainbow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: "Mouse-"ketier Club Reply with quote

Welcome to the club!
Rainbow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Decision Reply with quote

December 01, 2010, posted by Mike Doyle, 3:15 p.m.
Post-Chandra Levy murder trial 12/1: The secret juror questionnaires
Information about the 12 jurors and four alternates in the recently concluded Chandra Levy murder trial will apparently remain under lock and key.

Rejecting a bid led by the Washington Post, and joined by other media organizations, D.C. Superior Court Judge Gerald I. Fisher has denied a motion seeking media access to the filled-out juror questionnaires

http://blogs.mcclatchydc.com/law/2010/12/post-chandra-levy-murder-trial-121-the-secret-juror-questionnaires.html

Read more: http://blogs.mcclatchydc.com/law/2010/12/post-chandra-levy-murder-trial-121-the-secret-juror-questionnaires.html#ixzz18sJaneyH
rd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what club was that, Rainbow? You had jury duty, or harsh words for certain prosecutors and jury? :)

rd
Rainbow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Waiting for Godot! Reply with quote

A funny thing, Rd, my potential witness friend applied to the FBI to be a contract translator back in 2003-2004. He revealed that he was a potential witness in the Levy case in his application. He was never called back for the oral part of the examination, even though he was fluent in one of the languages they were testing for and met other requirements.

In 2004, my friend did help the FBI in a secret pre-investigation for an SEC-related matter. It's odd, but Amanda Haines may have been one of the people my friend met with at the time.

My friend just tried to "follow the rules". When Jim Robinson told him to go public with his info. in July 2001, he did not know the significance of the information he had at the time and why that might have been a good idea. He felt that talking to law enforcement was the right path to follow. For a number of years, he kept in touch with Detective Kennedy, D.C. homicide detective, and Dwayne Stanton, Levy detective for Billy Martin, Tony Daniels, Levy detective for Steve Mandel, via telephone and email. He even sent a photograph of the area in Adams-Morgan to the FBI lab in Quantico, which was taken at the time of the sighting.

My friend is still waiting to be called as a witness. May be the French Foreign Legion has a use for my friend. "Vive la France!"

Antiwar.com Homepage
by Justin Raimondo, February 21, 2003
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:so1l8MmaG-gJ:www.antiwar.com/justin/j022103.html+vive+la+france&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
Quote cited is from an editorial in the U.K. Sun-author unidentified in this article
Quote:
"You were only too happy to welcome the Americans when France was crushed under Hitler's boot. But today you look down on the American people and their president, and you forget how many American and British soldiers, sailors and pilots gave their lives... for the freedom of this country."

But if the French are obligated to kowtow to the Americans – and Tony Blair – on account of a debt that can never be repaid, then what about the debt Americans owe to the French, whose aid during the Revolution secured our victory over King George III?
rd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the irony is that Chandra wanted to be a part of those who threw her under the bus.

rd
jane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just reading recent posts in the Trial and the Apartment threads and it hit me: Over the years when the authorities and the press kept "trotting out Guandique", as rd used to refer to the phenomenon, I always thought it was so ridiculous. I never thought he would ever be charged. Then when he was charged and I read the warrant, it was so ridiculous and such a stretch, I never thought the case would go to trial. As we found out more about the prosecution's case it seemed even more flimsy. It was so ridiculous, I don't know how the prosecution could present it with a straight face.

Ingmar Guandique seemed perfect to be trotted out occasionally to make the public think something was being done in Chandra's case and to help draw attention away from Condit. But to actually be indicted and then found guilty by a jury - I still can't believe this happened.
rd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the kind of trial we read about in Iran and other Axis of Evil countries. If I were El Salvador I would register a very public diplomatic protest, the same things we do when an American is being railroaded in a place like Iran, or Washington DC, take your pick.

rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: