www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robert Levy testifies against Guandique
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigsky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Chandra Levy's father testifies at murder trial Reply with quote

http://www.modbee.com/2010/10/26/1399840/chandra-levys-father-testifies.html

This took me completely by surprise! I knew Susan Levy was supposed to testify.

Quotes from MATTHEW BARAKAT article:

"Robert Levy said he initially thought Condit had murdered Levy but now believes it was Guandique."

"In the grand jury testimony, Robert Levy said his daughter "wasn't someone who would go wandering in the hills" of Rock Creek Park, jogging alone. On Tuesday, he said that she may well have done so because of her love of the outdoors."

This is very bad for the defense and to me inexplicable.
Rainbow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Heated Up! Reply with quote

. . . It was too hot for someone to go jogging with leggings and a sweatshirt.
jane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I agree, sig, Levy's testimony is surprising. I think he's a bit of an unstable person, possibly as a result of the whole nightmare he has gone through. Think of what he recently said, out of the blue, which shocked his wife: That he felt he was seeing Chandra for the last time after dropping her off after their holiday together (which did indeed turn out to be the last time.) I don't think it was true, or his wife wouldn't have been so floored by his saying it all these years later. At the time of Chandra's disappearance he couldn't keep it together for the cameras but cried on his wife's shoulder like a baby. I don't mean to be cruel, but he does not seem particularly stable IMO.
jane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be surprised if the Levys end up separating after this. If I were Susan I would be pretty ticked at him - he is saying that they have no integrity - that when they thought Condit was guilty they "could say anything." Well, if that's true, then now that he thinks Guandique's guilty he can say "anything" without regard for the truth. Tsk tsk. I am not impressed, and I bet Susan isn't either.
jane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone think it's possible Robert Levy has been threatened as other witnesses claimed to have been back in 2001-2002?
jane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the defense could show Robert Levy's instability and reduced credibility as a witness, but would it be too damaging to their image in the jury's eyes? Any thoughts on this, anyone?
Rainbow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Dr. Levy Reply with quote

I don't think that would be a good idea. He is the father of a relatively young victim, whose murder has been connected with a very dark story. Robert is an oncologist with a good mind and he and Susan are people that have captured the sympathies of all of us, as well as the nation.
jane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rainbow. I agree that it probably wouldn't play well. As you say, he is a respected medical doctor for one thing, but he has given opposite testimony depending on whom he wants to hurt rather than being truthful. Personally, I am very disappoiinted in him.
Rainbow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Possiblity vs. Probability Reply with quote

. . . As a scientist and taken out of context, Dr. Levy can say,"Yes, it exists in the realm of possibilities. Chandra loves nature and might want to take a walk in the outdoors.". What is the mathematical probability of that, though, in the context of her not being a jogger, being such a safety-conscious person, the remoteness of the burial location, her apartment having been swept clean of fingerprints and the police dogs losing her scent outside her door? I would like one of those Cal Tech guys to do the computation.
jane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He needs a pitchfork and some tar and feathers.
jane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think the defense can question him in a manner that would not come across negatively to the jury, yet would show that his testimony is not valuable as it is so subjective - they could be very gentle, as with an extremely fragile child.
rd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Levy is shading his current testimony against Guandique as much as he says he did against Condit. Bizarre behavior. The emotions have taken their toll. We could say anything we wanted because we were mad is shameful.

Fortunately, nothing is based on him. He was pretty useless from the beginning, and everything we know comes from other people as well.

For example, the five year plan to marry Condit. That didn't come from Dr. Levy. That came from Sven. Obviously Chandra didn't tell her parents that. But almost everything that was said to Bob was also said to Susan, less than was said to Susan and much less than was said to Linda Zamsky. So his claims don't affect our understanding.

As to Chandra could be there because she loved the outdoors, he is now just trying to get Guandique convicted out of vengeance, same as his self-described behavior before in grand jury testimony. He may think he's justified because of his emotional suffering, but basically he has come unhinged.

Still he has poisoned everything to his utmost ability on the stand with those statements. The prosecution probably asked him to do it, told him his daughter depended on him doing it, and he is doing it.

We'll need a thread here to explore this.

rd

Background and analysis:

Guandique trial

Guandique pretrial motions

Guandique Trial Postponed, New charges to come!

Guandique Murder Analysis

Prosecutor seeks life sentence for Guandique

Guandique's Defense

Guandique indicted by DC federal grand jury

Guandique to be charged with Chandra's Murder Feb.20/09

Washington Post investigation of Chandra Levy cold case

Murder on a Horse Trail Chapter 24. Guandique

click to read the online true crime mystery novel Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy

Track offenders with GPS recorders!

www.justiceforchandra.com home page
sigsky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good comments everyone. As bad as it sounds, I think Robert has lost it and just wants closure. He is obviously in agony as many of us might be. Chandra is not coming back and he just wants it to end. I can't blame him for that.

But we need to get the right guy so the story must play out.

How does the defense cross examine Dr. Levy? I can't begin to imagine.
rd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question, sigsky. They need to ask him the last time Chandra went jogging in a forest.

They need to ask him when she quit carrying the pepper spray he urged her to carry, and she urged others to carry, and when he last knew of her running around alone because of her love for the outdoors.

They need to ask him if he has put himself in Chandra's shoes and walked from Dupont Circle to where Chandra was found and believed she would do that for her love of the ourdoors.

They need to ask him if her love of the outdoors includes roadsides she would need to travel to get there.

They need to ask him the last time she went running in her USC sweatshirt, and ask him what he thought about running in 82 degree weather in the USC sweatshirt and how he thought Chandra did it.

They need to hike him up Western Ridge Trail after a few miles from Dupont Circle and somewhere up that hill ask him again about Chandra's love for the outdoors.

They need to ask him if really put himself in Chandra's shoes and tried to imagine her doing what he says she may have done, or whether he is saying anything like before.

And if he says no, I'm not saying just anything because I'm mad, like before, ask him what changed. Why was he out to get Condit but not out to get Guandique now? Are you still mad? Are you no longer mad? Are you capable of saying anything to get Guandique like before? And why not?

Ask him to help us understand his daughter. Ask him if he thinks Chandra would run off to a forest when she needed an answer the next day for her landlord on when she was moving out.

Ask him if he thinks Chandra would run off to a forest when she didn't have any reservations to return home and you and your wife were anxiously waiting for word from her on when that would be.

Ask him why he thinks Condit is not possibly the murderer after he and his wife warned Chandra about Condit, and she asked him to explain something you warned her about, and she disappeared.

Ask him why he thinks Chandra went on this run off into a forest without a cellphone when she was constantly checking for messages the previous days.

Ask him if he remembers her using his cellphone two weeks before she disappeared and who she was calling.

Ask him why the person she was calling and you were warning her about can't possibly be involved in your daughter's disappearance instead of a drifter in a forest, and why you think Chandra ran for miles there rather than ride in a car there with someone who murdered her.

Ask him if he cares who murdered Chandra, or is he just mad.

Ask him.

rd
jane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone. rd, although this is a thread about Robert Levy, you got me thinking... It is important for the defense to ascertain how jogger witnesses got to the jogging trail in the first place. Of course, they have to know the answer before they ask the question, but I'm 99.9% sure Christy, her then-fiance, Halle and Amber arrived at Rock Creek Park by car rather than a walk of several miles. This is a marked dissimilarity between the other cases and the prosecution's account of what Chandra did. The search dogs losing Chandra's scent at the curb also goes against the idea of her walking to RCP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: