www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guandique pretrial motions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigsky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Guandique pretrial motions Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/nation/levy-suspects-lawyer-calls-snitch-expert-to-court-102482514.html

I guess this is defense 101 but glad to see it. With the jailhouse testimony tainted there is almost no case. Should be an interesting trial.

By all means google Alexandra Natapoff. She's been around.
rd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, this is a song and dance that's not a gamechanger though. The felons have their part down pat. DC police and prosecutors lovingly present these violent criminals with their own sordid array of victims as having come forward out of "concern for the family", and just wanted "to do the right thing".

And the prosecutors love it, as long as they say what the prosecutors want. It's been chronicled on this site how many attempts at story telling have been made through the last nine years by worthless scum who have nothing better to do than dream up fantasies in a bid to be released to levy yet more violence upon soon to be victims.

Then you bring in an expert who says what I just said only in academic terms.

Then the prosecutors come out and say the information they got is frrom bad people because bad people hang out together, and so who else is going to hear these confessions in a cell.

So yeah, it's a tired song and dance ritual that the prosecutors calculate as a wash while putting the "confession" they need in front of a jury.

It's the only thing they have.

I am much more interested in getting these scumbags up on the stand in front of the jury and grill the hell out of them on details, details, details. The more you lie, the more people will catch up to you at some point.

Keep in mind most of the felons have already had obviously disprovable lies in their stories pointed out, so I say have fun making fools of these liars on the stand. There's lots of material to work with.

rd

Background and analysis:

Guandique Trial Postponed, New charges to come!

Guandique Murder Analysis

Prosecutor seeks life sentence for Guandique

Guandique's Defense

Guandique indicted by DC federal grand jury

Guandique to be charged with Chandra's Murder Feb.20/09

Washington Post investigation of Chandra Levy cold case

Murder on a Horse Trail Chapter 24. Guandique

click to read the online true crime mystery novel Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy

Track offenders with GPS recorders!

www.justiceforchandra.com home page
sigsky

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Lawyers For Chandra Levy Suspect Fighting 2008 Cell Search Reply with quote

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-news-levysuspectcellsearchfight,0,1617229.story

Anyway, action is heating up.
rd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the procedure is for DC police to get a search warrant for the cell of a federal inmate? Surely this is not new law.

My guess is they didn't like the proscribed procedure, went out to California, and sought an emergency search warrant from a California judge, I assume a federal judge, and perhaps one they decided was ameniable to what they wanted to do.

But why the crap is a search warrant required for a prison inmate anyway? Don't prison officials have extensive contraband searches as conditions dictate? I guess it's because it's DC police instead of prison officials.

I think the DC people involved in all this are idiots anyway. If one were questioned with a lie detector about a murder, as Guandique was before Chandra's remains were found, based on the first "cellmate confession" gone wrong, why would it be unusual that one would have enough interest in a person that you're accused of murdering to tear a picture of her out of a magazine?

I would say that pretending you don't know there's a person you're accused of murdering would be stranger.

Notice that the dufus DC cops said he "ripped" a picture of Chandra out of a magazine, and our dutifull Pravda servants faithfully invoke the word ripped forever after, always brainwashing for the regime.

Ripped has such a violent edge to it after all. Maybe someone could do a George Carlin routine with pantomine on various words and evoked images for variations on pulling a page out of a magazine to save it.

rd
sigsky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Contested evidence OK'd for Levy trial Reply with quote

http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/09/10/2073239/contested-evidence-okd-for-levy.html

Not unexpected. Things appear to be heating up for the trial.
sigsky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Suspect opposes Levy cause of death testimony Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the significance of this but I thought I would post it anyway. I would assume the defense could come up with someone who would refute the cause of death.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/ap/suspect-opposes-levy-cause-of-death-testimony-103157819.html
rd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigsky, I am somewhat unsure what the defense is up to here.

1) Possibly establishing that they will contest any evidence that they haven't been able to examine, which from reports is most of it so far. However...

2) Not being able to examine Chandra's bones for cause of death (because they had been turned over to Chandra's family for burial) is problematic to me.

a) Would not the coroner / medical examiner's forensic report be considered the relevant evidence in this situation? Surely this is not new law. In the history of murder trials, defense lawyers demanded access to the corpse to perform their own belated autopsy rather than the autopsy report?

I can occasionally recall exhumations to test for theories such as toxic substances not tested for in the autopsy given some basis for likelihood. But I would think the "evidence" in this situation that they do or do not have access to is the autopsy report.

b) It is especially interesting that the government will present a witness that will testify that Chandra died of strangulation when the medical examiner officially concluded that there was insufficient evidence to conclude cause of death, other than circumstancial evidence such as tied clothing led to an official determination of homicide, with cause of death unknown.

Obviously much will be made of the hyoid bone which has been discussed in depth. There was little left of the hyoid bone, which is the usual basis for speculation of strangulation. Not enough to make that speculation.

c) It is further interesting, and well documented in Murder on a Horse Trail, that a trio of well known pathologists were denied access to Chandra's remains to perform their own examination. If I were the Levys I would have sued the crap out of the scum in Washington, but I'm not and they didn't, so the information, as all information in this case, has been stonewalled by the government from the beginning. Replacing it are fantasies from the most hardened violent felons that our proud federal prison system and prosecutors can produce.

d) Adding to the hoax factor in all this, will the prosecution witness referred to who will testify that Chandra was strangled be one of the three well known pathologists who were denied access to her remains to make such a determination?

Whoever it is, how could they testify to a conclusion that Arden the medical examiner officially concluded could not be determined due to lack of evidence?

rd
sigsky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Defenders in Levy case try to block assault report Reply with quote

Well, nice try, but good luck on this one. Defense is leaving no stone unturned however.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=2058679

Regarding the cause of death being strangulation; to me it is almost irrelevant. I don't know whether I feel it incriminates him or makes his guilt less likely. Maybe he could manage it now, but back in 2001 I doubt he could strangle the average cat. My $.02.

It is not the intent of this post to influence the jury pool :-).
jane

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sigsky! I am posting a portion of Cyril Wecht's chapter on Chandra from his book "Tales from the Morgue":
    ....We reviewed the remains for about an hour, from 12:15 to 1:35 PM. The three boxes, a large, a medium, and a small, were labeled H-021795. The smallest box contained the hyoid bone and other small bones. The hyoid bone is a two-inch-long, u-shaped bone beneath the mandible, or the lower jaw. It was labeled “Do not release.” Seventeen x-rays were available for review, along with two envelopes that contained four x-rays of the long bones. There was also an envelope holding three separate dental x-rays. Only 25 percent of the hyoid bone had been recovered, but what was available to examine would prove to be important in our conclusion.

Dr. Arden, I believe, had given the impression on television that most of the bones had been found. Actually several bones were missing: the ulna bone, which is the part of the forearm opposite of the thumb; the left pelvis, which is quite large; a number of the vertebrae; some foot bones, including one right phalanx; and some ankle bones.

Even though the bones had been open to the elements and wild animals for more than a year, we were still able to learn from them. The skull was darkened on the left side, showing that her head had been lying on that side with the right side in an upright, exposed position. The right side of the face was cracked. Without microscopic examination, it appeared to be postmortem, since we could not see any discoloration or bleeding at the location of the crack. The hyoid bone also appeared cracked, but the end of the fracture was discolored along the fracture line, indicating probable bleeding. Bleeding does not occur after death. To confirm however, the bone needed to be examined under a specialized microscope. To do so, I would have made a cross section through the bone, examined it, and decalcified it. This process also occurs when a surgeon removes a bone in the hospital to see if a tumor or osteomyelitis (an inflammation of the bone or bone marrow) is present. If the discoloration had been present because of bleeding, iron would have shown up at the fracture line. This is due to the fact that iron is the by-product of the breakdown left on a bone after decomposition.

Doing this decalcification could have helped us determine in a more absolute manner the cause of death. A predeath fracture of the hyoid bone would indicate strangulation. The hyoid bone, also known as the lingual bone, supports the tongue. The bony arch is of horseshoe shape and is in five segments—a body, two greater cornua, and the two lesser cornua. This microscopic examination was necessary for us to see what we were looking for Taking a slice from the bone would have caused it minimal damage and would not have prevented officials from conducting any essential investigations. The body belongs to the family and, in accordance with the Jewish faith of the Levys, needed to be intact for burial. Although the law of the District of Columbia allows the medical examiner to retain tissues and specimens for investigation, there was no reason that photographs and slides could not have been used in their place. Instead, we were prevented from doing the exam on the hyoid bone, and Chandra’s parents were kept from burying their daughter’s remains.

Another finding was also consistent with a violent death. The lower lateral right incisor was chipped in the front. All the rest of her teeth had perfect enamel covering. The tooth next to the chipped incisor was discolored, another indication of bleeding before death. A young woman of this age would not have likely gone long without having a chipped front tooth repaired. This could have been easily confirmed by a look at her dental records, but they were not made available to us....

Rainbow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Expert Witness Reply with quote

Have any of you been watching the Michael Riley trial on Tru tv's "In Session" program? Jonathan Arden testified as an expert witness yesterday. Did anybody else watch it? What did you think about his testimony?
jane

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rainbow and rd! I didn't see Arden on TruTV either, Rainbow. rd - if Arden testifies it will be at the behest of the defense - the prosecution pointedly left any mention of Arden out of any of their filings I've viewed, to the point where anyone not previously acquainted with the case would have thought Marie-Lydie Y. Pierre-Louis (who was Assistant Medical Examiner at the time) conducted the autopsy.
jane

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainbow, could you post a summary on your impression of Jonathan Arden's testimony at the Riley trial?
sigsky

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Judge in Chandra Levy case issues more rulings as trial near Reply with quote

Here:

http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/09/22/2088799/judge-in-chandra-levy-case-issues.html#storylink=misearch

and here:

http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/09/22/2088794/judge-blocks-levy-suspect-interview.html#storylink=misearch
sigsky

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jane,

Interesting stuff, thanks.

I've been searching for any information about possible online video coverage of the trial but haven't found anything. I'm guessing at this point it is not going to happen. Too bad. I've already had too much pre election information.

Very nice pretrial summary from Michael Doyle.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/09/24/101122/lawyers-prepare-for-center-stage.html
rd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, an excellent pretrial writeup from Doyle, sigsky. Real insights into personalities involved. Also along the lines of video coverage, I will have to check into these courtroom cable channels and see if there will be any coverage of this trial.

October 4 is soon to be upon us. I always feel like there will be another delay so I haven't prepared too much for it.

I also want to commend Keith Alexander of the Washington Post. He is the first reporter to refer to the picture of Chandra taken from a magazine by Guandique without repeating the DC detectives / prosecutors term of "ripped".

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/22/AR2010092206013.html

Jail cell search admissible, judge rules
By Keith L. Alexander
Washington Post Staff Writer
September 23, 2010

While police were meeting with Guandique and questioning him about Levy's slaying, they found letters and pictures in his cell, including a photograph of Levy clipped from a magazine.

end quote

We really do have some good reporting so far from Michael Doyle of McClatchy, Keith Alexander of the Washington Post, and Kathleen Miller of Associated Press. The reporting gets crazy when reporters who don't know what they're talking about jump in amid the hoopla.

jane, you're absolutely right. Those DC prosecutors have acted like Arden wasn't there for good reason. He should be brought in by defense after the expert testimony that Chandra was strangled to explain why he wasn't able to come to such a conclusion, rightfully in my opinion, and if the expert turns out to be one of the three pathologists he barred from examining Chandra's remains, as I believe is the case, why he barred examination from independent experts whose assistance was requested by the family. And then ask the expert how he could arrive at such a conclusion after all that.

Now I will say it's all rather silly, but that's not the point. The government thinks it's important to enter as testimony, and it shows how silly and ignorant the DC case is, just one of many examples.

rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: