www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Washington Post's Higham and Horwitz' Book
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrRich

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigsky - I'm as untrusting of the media as the next guy. That's why I said "apparently". None of us "know" anything in this story since we weren't there witnessing the murder as it happened. All we can do is surmise based on what we see, hear, or read. Much of the stories on Gary Condit were also edited, so what do we really know about those "facts"? But if CNN did edit the interview with the Levys in a misleading way they would have grounds for a lawsuit. For example, if they were saying they want Gary Condit to spend the rest of his life in prison but CNN edited the clip to make it sound like they're talking about Guandique .... you get the picture. If the Levys end up in the courtroom watching Guandique's trial I will have to assume that CNN didn't mislead us with any fancy editing. Time will tell.

-Rich
jane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, I don't think the Levys' presence at Guandique's trial will mean they believe he is guilty. They would attend any trial for their daughter's murder. Mrs. Levy said, "She's not here - I am her voice," so I think she would feel an obligation to be present whether she believed they had the right defendant or not.

Listening to the clip again (I'll put the link here so people won't have to go to the previous page) I notice the commentator referred to Condit as Chandra's boss - obviously he isn't too familiar with the issue. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtt9uV_iu2A&feature=player_embedded
sigsky

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Rich, we'll all have to wait.
rd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read the book, the Washington Post series it's based on was too stomach turning for me to read even that, but I do occasionally run across reviews of the book. In one, the reviewer cites this quote from the book:

"Not far from where Palmer spotted the object [a human skull], the cityscape began to change, the street scene growing edgier with each passing block."

I mean, are you kidding me? I knew this was all about framing Guandique, but my goodness, this is incredible even coming from Horwitz and the Washington Post intern gang.

Well, let's see what not far means here. We know it's used by clueless reporters to describe Chandra's remains site with Guandique's assaults on Beach Drive. Those two assaults were a mile and half apart, the closest one a half mile from Chandra's remains. I describe that half mile in Robert Levy testifies against Guandique.

But as remote and steep as that half mile is, it's still Rock Creek Park running along Beach Drive. Cityscape?

Horwitz apparently is trying to link, in a most unscrupulous and dishonest way, that being lying to her readers, something mainstream media reporters are routinely accused of doing, and this is the most blatant and egregious example of it I've ever seen, but she is trying to link Guandique to Chandra's remains site by implying that the neighorhood, the "cityscape", gets edgier with each passing block.

Holy cow.

Consider my opening paragraph of Murder on a Horse Trail describing the same site, down on Broad Branch Road below:

You would never believe you were in Washington, D.C. The road winds through a steep valley in perpetual twilight under a canopy of trees. Walking along it is to take your life in your hands. A car whizzes around the curve in its pursuit of a Grand Prix win, or at least getting somewhere in a hurry. You jump aside and cling to a hill that forms a wall, hopeful you don't lose your footing and join a dead deer lying next to the road, a deer who had infinitely surer footing than you do.

The car races by, and you venture back out on the road and continue your walk through the primeval forest. Across the narrow two lane road is a creek, the Broad Branch tributary of Rock Creek for which this road is named. Large boulders line the creek bed providing ways to get across for someone who can get to the bottom from the road. The more venturesome can try tightrope walking across a giant fallen tree to get to the other side, although few would find the steep tree covered mountainside across the road very inviting.

You can see pictures of the site and that opening paragraph in chapter Hunting Turtles. You won't see a "cityscape" or even a hint of a cityscape not too far away, as Horwitz hallucinates.

The area is forest, and those that live on the outskirts of that forest live in expensive homes. Greta said she lives nearby. Maybe Horwitz is referring to Greta's "edgy" show? Probably not.

Guandique lived about three miles away Yes, it is most likely edgy where a bunch of illegal immigrants could room together in an apartment, but Condit's condo was closer, about a mile and half away. Adams Mill I think was described as bohemian. Perhaps Horwitz considers bohemian edgy. Probably not.

Perhaps Horwitz is just lying out of her ass knowing readers won't know any better.

Probably. I mean she probably did visit the site and knows better.

Man, what a screwed up reporter. Agendas will do that to people. Make them dishonest. That's a shame there's no one around but us to point it out.

rd
sigsky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Chandra Levy book an Edgar nominee Reply with quote

http://blogs.mcclatchydc.com/law/2011/01/chandra-levy-book-an-edgar-nominee.html

Yikes! I read it, and it wasn't a bad book, but an Edgar? Pl....ease! Can't say I am aware of any other true crime books out there so maybe there is no competition other than the MLK book mentioned.
rd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They deserve a nice fiction award.
Rainbow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Daffy and Goofy Reply with quote

And "edgy-elegant" is the way the young woman with the rose tatoo (in the company of two other people, one being a man w/dark-rimmed glasses and a baseball cap), who was spotted by my potential-witness friend in Adams Morgan on and/or around May 10th, 2001, was dressed. The expression on the face (the appearance) of the man who accompanied the young woman was described by my friend in an interview with Detective Kennedy in 2001-2002 as "goofy".

I find it extremely uncanny that Jack Barrett made a comment after the Guandique trial that Mr. C. "goes and gets real goofy on us"!

From the Washington Post series: Who Killed Chandra Levy--A Singular Focus

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/metro/specials/chandra/ch8_2.html

At the time, detectives were puzzled. They tried to eliminate Condit as a suspect, but he was making it difficult. Why did he keep a watch box for nearly seven years? And why did he throw it out hours before their search of his apartment? They believed that the congressman, at the very least, was obstructing the investigation.

"He did foolish things over the course of time," Barrett recalled. "We had to address him. There was so much energy that was wasted on this issue. He goes and gets real goofy on us. We couldn't eliminate him."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: