www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alabama Man Charged in Wife's 03 Australian Diving Death

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gozgals

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Alabama Man Charged in Wife's 03 Australian Diving Death Reply with quote

Another man who may have killed his new wife. It sounds very fishy to me that she died while diving and he was with her.
Considering he is a rescue diver, collected much money and has given many different accounts of the story, I think they should investigate this man fully. He has been named a murder suspect in the US.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312522,00.html

Alabama Man Questioned Over Wife's 2003 Australian Diving Death
Thursday, November 22, 2007

An Alabama man is suspected of killing his new wife on their 2003 honeymoon during a dive trip off the coast of Australia, and a photograph may have captured the young woman’s final moments, according to a report in The Daily Telegraph.

FBI officials and Australian police are questioning Gabe Watson, a certified rescue diver, about the death of his wife Tina during a dive below the surface of the Coral Sea off the Queensland coast.

The picture, taken by two tourists apparently oblivious to the drama going on behind them, shows a diving instructor swimming towards Tina Watson in hopes of saving her life, the Daily Telegraph reports.

Watson, a certified rescue diver, raised the alarm when he surfaced, saying his wife had got into difficulty in strong currents. But police have expressed concerns about his account of the incident and are investigating his wife's death as a possible murder.

Watson has not been charged in connection with the incident and will give evidence to the Australian inquest via video-link from the US.

He has claimed hundreds of thousands of dollars compensation from a travel insurance company for the "mental anguish" he says he suffered after witnessing his wife's death. But U.S. police have officially named Watson as a murder suspect, the Daily Telegraph reports.

The FBI and two Queensland detectives seized his computer and other material in April this year.

Authorities say Watson has also given several differing reasons as to why he could not rescue his wife, all of which were contradictory to his qualifications as a rescue diver, according to the Daily Telegraph.
gozgals

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Update: Charged w/ killing wife Reply with quote

When I first read about this story, something did not sit well with me. I felt this husband was guilty of killing his wife. Considering the husband is a rescue diver, one would think he could have saved his wife.

Justice has finally caught up with him.

(fair use)
Newlywed Charged With Murdering Wife While Diving at Great Barrier Reef
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Assoc. Press

SYDNEY, Australia — An Australian coroner has ruled that an American man should face a murder trial in the death of his wife, who drowned while on a reef dive during their honeymoon in 2003.

After a monthslong inquest, Queensland state coroner David Glasgow said Friday there was enough evidence to justify charging Daniel Gabriel Watson of Birmingham, Ala., with the murder of his wife, Christina May Watson, on Oct. 22, 2003.

Glasgow says a warrant would be issued for the arrest of Watson, who is believed to be in the United States.

Tina Watson, a novice diver, died on the Great Barrier Reef as she swam with her more experienced husband.
gozgals

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: more on story Reply with quote

(fair use)
June 20, 08
Assoc. Press
U.S. diver accused of honeymoon killing
Tourist charged with murder in Australia after wife's underwater death

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25276933/

SNIP
SYDNEY, Australia - An American tourist was charged with murder in Australia on Friday for allegedly drowning his wife during a honeymoon dive in 2003 on the Greet Barrier Reef.

Police immediately began preparing a warrant for the arrest of the suspect, Daniel Gabriel Watson of Birmingham, Ala. — the first step in what are likely to be drawn-out extradition proceedings.

Watson faces a maximum penalty of life in prison if convicted. His lawyer did not immediately enter a plea, but he has argued that the evidence does not support any criminal charge and that police have seemed intent on blaming him anyway.

SNIP

I can only pray he gets life in prison for taking out his wife. He has been walking free a long time and killed his mate. Why bother marrying someone just to kill them right away? Wonder if money was involved. Will keep my eyes posted and ears open.

Goz
gozgals

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: People Magazine article Reply with quote

There is an article in this weeks People magazine on this story
in case anyone wants to read it. I may pick up a copy.

Good weekend all
gozgals

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Nancy Grace Transcript Reply with quote

Looks to me like the hubby did it, and money was the motive. Also read he was rather controlling.

Goz

(fair use)
NANCY GRACE
CNN News
Honeymooner Charged in Wife`s Australian Drowning Death
Aired July 4, 2008 - 20:00:00 ET

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP.../04/ng.01.html

A couple lines from the transcripts, please click link to read the whole transcipt. Very interesting as was the People Article.

Snip
BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: From a fairy tale wedding to a nightmare honeymoon. Newlyweds Tina and Gabe Watson head out on a scuba diving adventure on the Great Barrier Reef. But just minutes later, the beautiful bride ends up dead on the bottom of the ocean. The suspected murderer, her husband of just 11 days.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: He had shut off his bride`s air supply until she was either dead or near dead, according to the authorities in Australia, and only then did he go for help.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Investigators say Watson`s version of what happened Down Under doesn`t add up.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Gabe Watson told the police that he rocketed to the top of the surface to raise the alarm, but someone who was there on the scene said he rose very gradually and in a very controlled fashion.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: His air supply wasn`t stopped working, so he could just do whatever he wants. So he was breathing, so he would have been able to assist her.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: One of the motives out there in this murder mystery is money, specifically a life insurance policy. But one thing we know for sure tonight, an arrest warrant will be issued for Gabe Watson.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: We`re just one step closer...

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: One step closer.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: ... to getting justice and peace for Tina.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: Straight out to Jim Faherty with WERC. Jim, what`s the latest?

JIM FAHERTY, WERC RADIO: Well, Nancy, it was in October of 2003. After getting married here in Alabama, Tina Watson and new husband, Gabe, departed for their honeymoon in Australia. Eleven days after they tied the knot, the Watsons went on a dive along Australia`s Great Barrier Reef. Gabe Watson was an experienced diver. In fact, he was a certified rescue diver. His wife, Tina, was a novice and Gabe was her diving buddy.

They were in about 40 feet of water when something happened. Gabe Watson says his wife, Tina, ran into a strong current and began to panic. Gabe Watson said that she tried to rip his mask off and that he was unable to bring her to the surface, so he decided to return to the surface for help while Tina Watson sank to the ocean floor, her arms outstretched toward her husband.

Gabe Watson said it was an accident, but after years of investigating, Australian authorities came to a very different conclusion. They`re charging Gabe Watson with murder.

Snip

Quote:
BETHANY MARSHALL, PSYCHOANALYST: I have. And as this court case launches, what we`re going to find out about these two, I think, is that they fit the classic domestic abuse couples profile, where you get a power- hungry male who finds a vulnerable, frightened, weak woman with low self- esteem and preys on her.

Probably most likely so true and so very sad..
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

What an outrage this sentence is. I can't believe it.....They say this is the standard sentence. I say he got away with murdering his poor wife.

So sad.

Goz

SNIP
BRISBANE, Australia (June 5) -- An American man pleaded guilty and was sentenced Friday for the manslaughter of his wife, who drowned during their honeymoon scuba diving trip in Australia. Her body was found on the ocean floor.
In move that outraged the victim's family, David Gabriel Watson will serve just one year of the four-and-a-half-year sentence in the death of his wife of 11 days, Christina Mae Watson. She died in 2003 as the couple dived off the tropical coast of Queensland. The suspended sentence is not unusual in such crimes in Queensland.
SNIP

SOURCE: AP AOL HP
gozgals

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: more on this story- Outrage on verdict Reply with quote

Fair use
Alabama Man Sentenced to 1 Year in Prison for Wife's Honeymoon Scuba Diving Death
Sunday, June 07, 2009
Associated Press at Fox News

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,525170,00.html?sPage=fnc/us/crime

Snip
BRISBANE, Australia — An American man pleaded guilty and was sentenced Friday for the manslaughter of his wife, who drowned during their honeymoon scuba diving trip in Australia. Her body was found on the ocean floor.

In move that outraged the victim's family, David Gabriel Watson will serve just one year of the four-and-a-half-year sentence in the death of his wife of 11 days, Christina Mae Watson. She died in 2003 as the couple dove off the tropical coast of Queensland. The suspended sentence is not unusual in such crimes in Queensland.

Watson, of Birmingham, Alabama, was to stand trial in the Queensland Supreme Court for murder, which carried a potential sentence of life in prison, until the prosecution accepted the guilty plea to the lesser charge.

Prosecutor Brendan Campbell told the court the manslaughter plea was accepted on the basis that the 32-year-old Watson — trained to rescue panicked divers — failed in his duty as her dive buddy by not giving her emergency oxygen.

Campbell said Watson allowed his wife to sink to the ocean floor without attempting to retrieve her, and he did not inflate her buoyancy vest or remove weights from her belt.

"He virtually extinguished any chance of her survival," Campbell said.

comment: I think this guy is a real pig letting his wife die that way and walked to easy on his sentence. It makes me sick...He will only serve 1 year on the sentence and he probably planned the whole murder.

Goz
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Update on charges Reply with quote

Courts are seeking a stronger charge against this psycho. I did not know the law allowed for this but it is Aussie law. I hope they punish him harshly.

Fair Use
Stronger Punishment Sought for Ala. Man in Wife's Scuba Death
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Associated Press at Fox News

Snip
BRISBANE, Australia — Australian prosecutors said Thursday they will appeal for stronger punishment for an American man who was sentenced to serve one year in prison for manslaughter in the death of his wife during a honeymoon scuba diving trip.

David Gabriel Watson, of Birmingham, Alabama, was sentenced earlier this month to serve one year of a four-and-a-half year sentence for the 2003 death of his wife during a trip to Australia's Great Barrier Reef.

He was to stand trial in the Queensland state Supreme Court for murder, which carried a potential sentence of life in prison, until the prosecution accepted the guilty plea to the lesser charge.

"I have formed the view that this sentence is manifestly inadequate and the state will therefore lodge an appeal against the sentence in the Queensland Court of Appeal," Queensland Attorney General Cameron Dick told state parliament Thursday.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,527000,00.html

Click link for story

Snip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: