www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

State of Play film version

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fallout

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: State of Play film version Reply with quote

This film, which follows the BBC TV series, looks like it was loosely inspired by the Chandra Levy case. Congressman's assistant is killed and reporters uncover a conspiracy. Here's a link to the official website.

http://www.stateofplaymovie.net/index_site.html#/story
Rainbow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: "State(s) of Play" Reply with quote

Thank you, fallout. It looks like an intriguing movie!
fallout

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just watched the preview and the victim's name is "Sonia Baker"! The writer must have been thinking of Jennifer Baker who actually was an un-paid volunteer for Condit. Looks like the Congressman, played by Ben Afflek, is actually a victim of a grand conspiracy in the movie. I think there is tremendous awareness of the Chandra case in the re-writing of the script from its original BBC source. Apparently Brad Pitt had some problems with the re-tooled script and dropped out to give that part to Russel Crowe. Was he warned off by the NWO?
rd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled Brad Pitt and Russell Crowe and State of Play. From an interview with the director, MacDonald, my take is Pitt was envisioning somethoing more like Robert Redford in All The President's Men but thescript called for more of a flawed character, like maybe we would see in a private detective movie.

I wouldn't exactly say it required more of a Dustin Hoffman than a Robert Redford, in that I don't recall Hoffman playing Carl Bernstein as a flawed character, but I would compare Dustin Hoffman doing this versus Robert Redford, or as it turns out, Russell Crowe instead of Brad Pitt.

Not that all four aren't great actors, just that there were those artistic differences, as they say, in how the character would be played, and Brad Pitt didn't agree with where it was going, and Russell Crowe did.

I will look forward to more reviews like James' when people start seeing this.

rd
Rainbow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Clarification Reply with quote

Pardon me, fallout, but what does NWO stand for?
rd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking it stood for New World Order. :)

rd
Rainbow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I think so, too. It took a little while, but I figured it out! Now, I just need to work on my skills with the RD writes software, e.g. finding the button for deleting a duplicate post!
fallout

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yes it stands for New World Order. I saw the film and liked it. I won't spoil it for you but they borrowed liberally from the Chandra case.

Sometimes I don't care for Russell Crowe but I thought he was good in this part as a veteran reporter as was Ben Afflek as the congressman . Sean Penn was supposed to play the reporter (or was it the congressman?) and this would have put him on screen with his real-life wife Robin Wright Penn but he dropped out as well.

The cinematography is excellent. All the actors are good. They keep the tension going

One criticism I have is that the Sonia Baker character is not given any spoken lines. I would have liked to see the relationship between her and the Congressman explored. But maybe that's a different movie that still needs to be made.

If you haven't been to D.C. its a good tour of the city's undiscovered attractions along with some of the places where Chandra and her friend Jennifer Baker may have gone in the fall of 2000.
Rainbow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Film Review Reply with quote

Thanks for the movie-review, fallout! I am really looking forward to seeing the movie!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: