www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guandique to be charged with Chandra's Murder Feb.20/09
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peripeteia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Guandique to be charged with Chandra's Murder Feb.20/09 Reply with quote

Quote; TAKEN FROM news wire

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Police in Washington DC are reportedly preparing to make an arrest in the 2001 murder of former Washington intern and Modesto native Chandra Levy, according to a televised report.

According to a report on Washington television station WRC, police were attempting to charge and arrest an inmate in the DC corrections system who allegedly told other prisoners that he saw Levy a number of times and confessed to killing her.

The inmate, identified as Ingmar Guandique, was in jail for assaulting two women in Rock Creek Park, the same park where Levy's body was found in 2002.

VIDEO: News10 Exclusive - Levys talk about possible arrest; 2/20/09, 10 p.m.

WHO KILLED CHANDRA LEVY?: Read the Washington Post's 2008 series detailing the Levy investigation

WHO IS GUANDIQUE?: 2008 Post interview with Guandique

According to the report, another inmate told investigators that Guandique confessed to Levy's murder, however, Guandique changed his story when speaking to investigators. He allegedly told police that he saw Levy several times in the park, but played no part in her death.

Levy, 24, had just finished working as an intern for the U.S. Bureau of Prisons in May 2001 when she disappeared from her apartment. Her body was found in the park a year later and her death ruled a homicide, but was ever charged.

The case attacted widespread attention because of allegations that Levy was romantically involved with Congressman Gary Condit when she went missing.

While there has been little public movement in the case in several years, Guandique has apparently been a key figure in the Levy investgation going back to shortly after her disappearance.

According to a 2008 Washington Post report, Guandique came to the attention of Levy investigators in September 2001, when they heard that Guandique allegedly told a jailhouse informant that he had killed Levy.

The paper reported Guandique, at the time a 20-year-old illegal Salvadoran immigrant, was interviewed by the U.S. attorney's office in Washington by prosecutors and D.C. detectives.

Guandique, a native Spanish speaker, allegedly told the Post last year, "They started asking me questions about (Levy) -- if I knew her or if at one time I had seen her. They even showed me photos of her."

"LIke I told them, I had never seen her -- that I never had any contact with her. Nothing," Guadique said. "I have nothing to do with the death of that girl. I am innocent and I am not afraid of the police investigation."

Talking exclusively with News10 Friday night, Levy's parents Robert and Susan Levy said they received a call from about the possible arrest from Washington authorities Friday afternoon.

"(The police) said (the arrest) will be really soon," Robert Levy said.

"There's a warrant out for an arrest...that's all I know," Susan Levy said.

The couple said they could not comment on Guadique or any new facets of the case.

The Levys said the arrest would never bring the family true closure from their loss, but a successful prosecution would offer some measure of peace.

"You want justice," Susan Levy said. "You want the person incarcerated...it shouldn't happen to anyone."

"We'll be more satisfied if they're convicted and kept in prison for life," Robert Levy said
/Quote

To think that law enforcement had Igmar under their radar since the get go leaves me speachless, tongue tied! Susan and Bob Levy are to be interviewed, will post what I find on the news wires.
peripeteia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: VIDEO NEWS 10 Reply with quote

http://www.news10.net/video/default.aspx?aid=70548
jane

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kate, for posting this - the first I've heard that they're serious about arresting Guandique for Chandra's murder. Makes me wonder whether there's some other info they don't want to surface and think this will prevent that from happening? They've had Guandique for such a long time. If he really was the guy, no way would it have taken so many years to get a case against him. I wonder whether the authorities can convince the Levys?
peripeteia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jane wrote:
Thanks, Kate, for posting this - the first I've heard that they're serious about arresting Guandique for Chandra's murder. Makes me wonder whether there's some other info they don't want to surface and think this will prevent that from happening? They've had Quandique for such a long time. If he really was the guy, no way would it have taken so many years to get a case against him. I wonder whether the authorities can convince the Levys?

Jane, sounds as if there is additional evidence supporting Igmar's claim
that he murdered Chandra, just read that on fox news article, will go and find it, pronto...
peripeteia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Fox NEWS Reply with quote

Police are close to making an arrest in the eight-year-old murder case of Chandra Levy, according to a televised report.

WRC-TV Washington reports D.C. police have submitted evidence to the U.S. Attorney's office in an attempt to obtain an arrest warrant for Ingmar Guandique, according to a source.

Guandique is reportedly in jail for assaulting two women in Rock Creek Park, the same park where Levy's remains were found one year from the time she disappeared.

Jane: I am reading into the information that the evidence might be new, however, seems law enforcement somehow put two and two together. My guess, it is the old story, Igmar, of giving or selling, or left in safe keeping a trinket, valuable that belonged to Chandra, ironic if the article is the famed braclet, Chandra's ring. Perhaps there is a witness to support Igmar's admission outside the prison system.

Igmar's girlfriend comes to mind. Igmar likely fenced Chandra's jewelery. Seems like he was in a desperate state of mind, he lead law enforcement to believe he was attacking women for items to steal, but one of the women he attacked testified that she felt her life was in danger, Igmar was not just after her walkman. Her testimony and that of his girlfriend gave one the impression of a violent offender, whatever his motivation for killing Chandra, and possibly other women remains to be known.

In the journey of searching for missing people more and more I am drawn away from motivational issues of the perpetrator, sometimes it is just what it is, insane, crazy, psychosis, and to ask rational questions of a distrubed mind is a waste of energies. One cannot apply logic to an insane situation. That is not to say that insanity defends or excuses the perpetrator, because there exisits many forms of insanity, that do not perclude that a person is not unware of the seriousness of the crime that they are commiting, these are sociopaths, and Igmar is just one of many
individuals who aim to take, rob, lie, steal, torture, abuse, bullying, and murder to get what they desire, without compunction and totally lacking in remorse.

I wonder who else happened to walk across Igmar's path that he violated?
jane

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is unfortunate that Guandique is unlikely to get a decent defense attorney. If he did, we might learn a lot about the real facts of Chandra's disappearance and murder. It's unlikely that any hotshot or would-be hotshot defense attorney is going to take this case.
James Anderson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt very much that they have any new evidence. No more than that coverup and re-hash of old news that the Washington Post came out with last year. Ingmar Guandique is just a patsy, a vulnerable nobody who will get the poorest defense imaginable. If this farce even comes to trial, which I seriously doubt, it will be a whitewash of monumental proportions. The name Condit will probably never even be brought up by his lawyers as a likely suspect, and the volumes of proof of his involvement in Chandra's murder, that RD and others have brought us, will never even be mentioned.
rd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more, James. We hashed this out at length last year with the Washington Post prelude to this farce:

Washington Post investigation of Chandra Levy cold case

They were setting this up with the DC police then. Not one policeman or reporter would be able to re-enact this alleged attack in person and be able to testify with a straight face that they believe that's what happened.

What you have here is a major league whitewash to protect the Democratic Party from being involved with the prosecution of Condit now that the Democrats are in power in Washington.

Note that there are two years left on Guandique's sentence. I've heard from a couple of people so far they were led to believe that ten years has gone by and the police are acting because of that. Nope, try that the Democrats just came into power and this is a major embarrasment for them as the sudden urgency.

I will say the same thing I've always said. While any normal person , re-enacting what is alleged to have happened, would see it as pure DC cop / Condit lawyer Geragos fantasy, Guandique shouldn't see the light of day unencumbered by bars until Chandra's murder is resolved. (note that kate above had to resort to a crazed person to explain Guandique's actions, and it would take a crazed person to re-enact the crime as alleged and believe it)

That requires major cooperation from Guandique. He's already passed a lie detector test when the "cellmate confession" was alleged prior to Chandra being found, and the cellmate failed his lie detector test. It was one cellmate, not more than one as the news article says.

It also requires in depth investigation and lie detector tests for the landlady harboring illegal immigrants who claimed he was injured at that time, for the employer of illegal immigrants who claimed he fired Guandique that day, and for the retired Park ranger whose claims the Washington Post used to pin this on an illegal instead of Condit.

Not to mention the refusal of police to investigate and give lie detector tests to those involved in Chandra's hiring and firing at the Bureau of Prisons public relations office, and to OC Thomas to explain how he carried out six weeks in depth interviews with the Washington Post (six times), the Modesto Bee (more than once), the FBI, and Chandra's family about information that he gave Chandra's mother about Condit that in my opinion caused Chandra's disappearance as soon as she confronted Condit about it.

I explain it all in Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearnce of Chandra Levy here on this site set up for Chandra, Laci, and other women who disappeared at the hands of someone they loved.

rd

update:
Guandique indicted by DC federal grand jury

Guandique's Defense

Murder on a Horse Trail Chapter 24. Guandique

click to read the online true crime mystery novel Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy

www.justiceforchandra.com home page
RayStar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post James A. I still have an uneasy feeling about Condit.
rd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This statement from Lisa Bloom in an article jane posted sums up this new info best I think:

On The Early Show Saturday Edition, CBS News legal analyst Lisa Bloom speculated a jailhouse snitch, like the one cited in news accounts, could have been the source of the new evidence police are apparently using to target Guandique.

"My guess would be two things," Bloom said. "One, new statements from the suspect behind bars, possibly linking him to Chandra Levy. The other would be developments in forensic science, which has grown by leaps and bounds in the last eight years. Maybe they have something new on him ... something linking him to the remains of Chandra Levy. When her remains were found in Rock Creek Park, they were highly decomposed. ... Nevertheless, hair, bone samples, dental records, something linking him to her remains. Otherwise, it's hard to understand what could be new -- statements perhaps made behind bars to other inmates, a jailhouse confession, something of that nature."

click to read rest
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/02/21/earlyshow/main4817576.shtml
© MMIX, CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.
rd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is Guandique's statement to the Washington Post, as reported today on the ABC News blog Political Radar. Although there's no way he and Chandra were on top of that huge hill in DC, he should understand the reason he's a suspect and cooperate more to eliminate himself as a suspect.

rd

Guandique was the focus of the last three parts of a 12-part series on Levy's disappearance in the Washington Post metro section last year. He told the Post then he had nothing to do with Levy's disappearance:

"Regarding the case of the girl, Chandra Levy: I don't know anything about that case. In 2001, the FBI went to see me when I was in the [D.C. jail]. That was when I learned about that girl," Guandique said. "Before that, I had never seen her and I don't understand the reason why the police started to suspect me. ... I have nothing to do with the death of that girl. I am innocent and I am not afraid of the police investigation."

After the Post series, D.C. and FBI cold case squad detectives reexamined their evidence. The problem had always been a lack of conclusive physical evidence to tie this suspect to the murder.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2009/02/new-development.html
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates Kate and you said it all James.

I just wonder if the Levy's are convinced by this story?

Goz
rd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goz, I'll give the Levys as many reasons as they need to make sure their daughter isn't convicted of being a complete blithering idiot for being in the middle of a dark, spooky forest on top of a huge hill, the highest hill in Washington DC, miles from home with nothing but the keys to her apartment and her Walkman.

I'll also challenge anyone of these police, reporters, talking heads, or anyone else who thinks they have a clue about Guandique to walk from Chandra's apartment to where she was found, including accounting for how her sunglasses were found farther out on the path into the forest from where her body was found hundreds of feet downhill, a treelined hill that she couldn't have rolled down.

I call it the Chandra Walk in the Park Challenge, named after clueless reporters who report incessantly that Chandra was "out for a walk in the park, it was a nice day after all". And not one of them will dare accept the challenge.

I won't even go into what it takes to get up there from where Guandique made his attacks along Beach Drive. Suffice to say that they are also the same reporters who report over and over that "Chandra was known to jog in the park" or "It was Chandra's favorite place to jog" when

1) Chandra didn't jog, and

2) Chandra had never gone there to her friends knowledge. She even was walked home frequently down DuPont Circle from the subway stop! She was extremely security conscious.

So I welcome this arrest and trial, because once and for all the lack of investigation of Condit and the attempt to pin this on an illegal to make it go away will be exposed.

And exposing injustice is always a good thing.

rd
MrRich

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Whaddya know? Reply with quote

I never thought there would be an arrest, but I was sure if there was one it would confirm the random attacker theory. Hopefully this will now bring the case to a close and the Levy family can have some closure. They apparently have said they favor life in prison for the perp. As for his defense, I would imagine somebody seeking some free publicity will take this case on due to its high profile nature as was the case with Scott Peterson and Mark Geragos. No way he will need a public defender.

-Rich
rd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, I'll be glad to assist that defense lawyer in walking the jury from Chandra's apartment to re-enact the crime. I've done it once already and wrote about it.

The jury won't have anything more with them than Chandra had.

Won't be a single vote to convict until they find the guy who drove her up there and hid her body.

rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22

Jump to: