www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Police investigate wife for five dead husbands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gozgals

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Police investigate wife for five dead husbands Reply with quote

She looks like your sweet old grandma and could have killed five of her mates. This is a woman who knows how to get rid of her spouses. Finally, authorities have caught up with her at least in one of the murders. We can only hope they can try her for all her crimes. This is one evil old lady.

(fair use)
Police investigate wife for five dead husbands
Mon June 16, 2008
Associated Press

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/16/cold.cases.ap/index.html

Click link for whole story

CHARLOTTE, North Carolina (AP) -- Police may have ignored a warning years ago that a woman with five dead spouses was trying to hire a hit man to kill one of the men, investigators in North Carolina said Monday.

Betty Johnson Neumar is shown at her booking. She is charged with hiring a hit man to kill her husband.

Authorities charged 76-year-old Betty Neumar last month with one count of solicitation of murder in the July 1986 death of Harold Gentry. Gentry's brother had begged investigators for two decades to take another look at the case.

Stanly County sheriff's investigators believe Neumar tried to hire several people to kill Gentry. Lead detective Scott Williams said Monday his office is looking into the possibility that one of those would-be hit men went to authorities before Gentry's death, but no one took him seriously.

"That's another aspect we're looking into," Williams said, declining to elaborate.

Former Stanly County sheriff Ralph McSwain, who was in office when Gentry was killed, is recovering from a stroke and said he doesn't remember much about the case. He said the sheriff's detective who handled the investigation of the case is dead.

"This was a long time ago," McSwain said. "Could someone have come forward with information before it happened? Sure. I just don't know."

Neumar has been married five times since the 1950s, but each union ended with the death of her husband. Investigators want authorities elsewhere to look into the deaths. Williams said investigators have uncovered a common link among the victims: They all had military experience.

Neumar is being held on $500,000 bond in the Stanly County jail. A clerk in the county clerk of courts office said Monday that Neumar does not yet have an attorney. Her daughter with Harold Gentry, who also lives in Augusta, has declined to comment.

Williams said that detectives believe Harold Gentry was Neumar's fourth husband. She and her third husband, Richard "Dick" Sills, were living in the Florida Keys when he was shot to death in 1965, Williams said. At the time, police said his death was the result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. But Williams said Neumar was the only person in the room when he died.

After his death, Neumar met Gentry in Florida. The couple married in the late 1960s in Georgia after he retired from the Army and moved to the town of Norwood, about an hour east of Charlotte.

gozgals

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: more information Reply with quote

updated 4:40 p.m. EDT, Thu June 19, 2008

(Fair Use)
Son wonders if dad's wife poisoned him
CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/19/son.coldcase/index.html

Click link for more on these murders

(CNN) -- The son of a man who died from intestinal problems says he now wonders whether his father's wife might have poisoned him.

Betty Johnson Neumar is shown at her booking. She is charged with hiring a hit man to kill her husband.

Betty Neumar, 76, was charged by North Carolina authorities last month with one count of solicitation of murder in the July 1986 death of Harold Gentry, one of her five dead spouses since the 1950s.

Since the arrest, authorities have launched an investigation into the deaths of her previous husbands, including John Neumar Sr., her fifth husband.

Neumar's son appeared on "Nancy Grace" on Wednesday along with Jay Almond, a news editor with the Stanly News and Press in North Carolina.

"It wasn't long after my father married her that he started being sick," Neumar said.

He said he learned of his father's death when he read it in a local newspaper. Betty Neumar has not been charged in connection with that death or her other three husbands.

"She has only been charged in one state," her attorney Charles Parnell said. "I want to remind everybody she has only been charged in North Carolina, and obviously, she is presumed to be innocent. There is nothing with the other states because there are no charges at this particular time."

Here is an edited transcript of the show:

(click link for transcript)

This looks like a complicated, sad and interesting case. I have nothing against putting an old lady in prison after doing so many crimes. She needs to do the time even if it is later in life. It looks like she may be a serial killer.

Goz
gozgals

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

LE is now concerned this black widow may have killed other members of her family, not only her husbands. She was taking out insurance policies on everyone. It is very sad it took so many deaths to start investigating her. Money, of course was the motive it appears.

(Fair Use)
Family: Woman With 5 Dead Husbands Obsessed With Cash, Can't Be Trusted
Monday, July 14, 2008
Associated Press

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,381623,00.html

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Jeff Carstensen was spooked when he learned his grandmother planned to buy him a $100,000 life insurance policy — and name herself the beneficiary.

"She told me that people of our stature have insurance policies on each other," he said. "That way, if something happens to you, you take care of me, and if something happens to me, I take care of you. It was all too suspicious. So I got out of there any way I could, as soon as I could."

As he and everyone else who came into Betty Neumar's orbit have learned, he apparently had good reason.

The 76-year-old Georgia woman sits in a North Carolina jail, accused of hiring a hit man to kill fourth husband Harold Gentry. Authorities are re-examining the deaths of her first child and four of the five men she married, including Gentry.

No motive has been discussed, but records and interviews with relatives and police officials paint Neumar as a domineering matriarch consumed by money.

click link for rest of story
gozgals

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Update on story Reply with quote

(fair use)
Ex-cop: Widow tried to hire me to kill hubby No. 4
Associated Press
July 24, 2008

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/07/24/wife.cold.cases.ap/index.html

ALBEMARLE, North Carolina (AP) -- A former police officer and a neighbor said Wednesday that a Georgia grandmother who now has five dead spouses tried to hire them to kill her fourth husband more than two decades ago.

Betty Johnson Neumar is shown at her booking. She is being held in a North Carolina jail on $500,000 bond.

1 of 3 Former police officer Allen Lawrence said he warned North Carolina authorities repeatedly for two months before Harold Gentry was shot to death in 1986 that Betty Gentry -- now Betty Neumar -- wanted her husband dead.

Neumar was desperate for money and wanted to collect on her husband's $20,000 life insurance policy, according to an indictment issued Tuesday.

"I've been living with this for 22 years, wondering if there was anything else I could have done," Lawrence said. "It's always bothered me. I know I did everything I could. But it still keeps me up at night."

Neumar, 76, is charged with three counts of solicitation to commit first-degree murder. She was first arrested and charged in May with one solicitation count, but authorities now say she tried to hire three people to kill Gentry in the six weeks before his bullet-riddled body was found in his rural North Carolina home.

This lady is a money grubbing murderer. She deserved to be locked away many years ago before she murdered her many husbands.

Goz
gozgals

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Grandma with five dead husbands freedStory Highlights Reply with quote

I can't believe they let this lady out on bail either. She is locked up for some horrid crimes and may be a serial killer. Looks that way to me.

Goz

(fair use)
Grandma with five dead husbands freedStory Highlights
updated 4:14 p.m. EDT, Thu October 16, 2008
Associated Press

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/10/16/five.dead.husbands.ap/index.html

Snip
RALEIGH, North Carolina (AP) -- A Georgia grandmother who came under suspicion because all five of her husbands had died was released Thursday from a North Carolina jail where she had been held on charges in one of their deaths.

Betty Neumar, 76, posted $300,000 bond. She was being held on a muruder-solicitation charge.

Betty Neumar, 76, posted $300,000 bond late Thursday morning at the Stanly County jail, where she's been held since her arrest in May, Sheriff Rick Burris said.

He did not know the conditions of her release or where she got the money. It was not clear if she would be allowed to leave the state.

Neumar is charged with solicitation to commit first-degree murder in the 1986 death of husband No. 4, Harold Gentry.

"I can't believe they let her out. It's just wrong, flat out wrong. I don't understand," said Gentry's brother, Al, who pressed law enforcement for more than two decades to get the case reopened.

Prosecutors allege Neumar tried to hire three people to kill Gentry in the six weeks before his bullet-riddled body was found in his rural North Carolina home.
Snip
Sparta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should set her up on a blind date with Drew Peterson.
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparta Said:

Quote:
Someone should set her up on a blind date with Drew Peterson.

Now, that's comedy Sparta...

Thanks for the weekend laugh. HA HA.

Good weekend to you

Goz
Sparta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha ha those two deserve each other eh?

hope you had a good weekend goz!
benn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awful, but it reflects some of the moral fiber of our times. The moral character of our country is going down. Evidently some people reported to the police or authorities about this woman, but no one listened to them carefully enough.

I can see one reason why she may have been released on bail--or was she actually released? The judge may have set a medium high bail, thinking that the woman would never be able to come up with the money. I guess I did not read closely enough here, did she really get released?

Anyway here is another sad part of this type of behaviour, we are living in a high tech society, and all of us are not really high tech people. It takes a lot of education to be really high tech, and some of us would never make it. So some people on the bottom of the economic income pile may find a way to make money, such as this elderly woman did, and if it works for them, then they just keep doing it. Sometimes the simple minds are almost as smart as the high tech minds, except the simple minds, such as the accused woman here, do not realize that they are going against the entire economic structure.

In other words breaking the law does not really concern them. They have just found a way to make money. Sad sad sad.

Maybe our only hope in all of these tragic cases is to light more candles. I forget which religious organization, a Catholic one, use to say frequently in all of their publications and radio programs.

IT IS BETTER TO LIGHT ONE CANDLE THAN TO CURSE THE DARKNESS.

In today's world it seems that we need to light many many more candles. Praise the Lord. benn

I did a little research on the saying I quoted here and I remembered the name of the Christopher Foundation, which uses that slogan about lighting candles. The slogan actually seems to have originated in China. Confusus may have said himself: IT IS BETTER TO LIGHT ONE CANDLE THAN TO CURSE THE DARKNESS. benn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: