www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Grows as Crime Fighting Tool in the USA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: GPS Grows as Crime Fighting Tool in the USA Reply with quote

I thought this story was of interest to all of us.

(Fair Use)
GPS grows as a crime-fighting tool in U.S.
The technology is changing the way some courts handle repeat offenders
Reuters
updated 8:59 p.m. CT, Tues., May. 13, 2008

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24604538/
(2 pages)

Snip
BOSTON - It was just after 10 p.m. when William Cotter, wearing a belt full of ammunition, burst into the home of his estranged wife, Dorothy, shooting her in the back with a sawed-off shot gun before taking his own life.

Just five days earlier, a court had ordered him to stay away from his wife after decades of drunken violence and she was carrying a panic button linked to the local police station, in Amesbury, Mass. But it wasn't enough to save her on the night of March 26, 2002.

Fast-forward six years. Electronic surveillance technology is changing the way authorities in the United States monitor repeat offenders. Its advocates say the new technology could have saved Dorothy's life. Its detractors fear a widening breach of civil liberties and an illusory sense of protection.
Snip

Snip
[/b]
Part of the appeal is money. GPS is a cost-effective alternative to prison, said Paul Lucci, deputy commissioner of the Massachusetts Probation Service, pointing to a chart taped to his office wall showing a state-wide surge in use of GPS — mostly to track sex offenders but also for others.

"These people probably should be in jail, but the cost of incarceration can be as much as $30,000 or $40,000 a year. The GPS costs about $3,400 a year," he said.

"I think it's good on both sides. It is a device to protect the public. Although we can't guarantee anyone's safety, it provides an extra level of supervision on somebody. On the other side, for a defense attorney, it is in lieu of incarceration," said Lucci.

[/b]

Click link for rest of article
jane

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Goz. Thanks for the interesting article. Of course, rd has been saying for years that sex offenders should be GPS monitored when not in prison. I agree.

I can't see the 'false sense of security' argument against GPS monitoring. If it was being worn by potential victims as protection, I can see where this might give them a false sense of security (because I think cellphones have given many people a false sense of security - we can see how little protection they give by looking at Dru Sjodin's case.)

Maybe the GPS should be used to keep nonviolent offenders out of prisons so they can be used to house violent offenders. I wouldn't want to see more violent offenders roaming the streets, GPS or no (but, of course, better with GPS than without).
benn

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been keeping up with crime as well as I should, but within the past two or three weeks there were two muggings in the vicinity of my senior apartment house Manor. I did not hear anything about these except from one source. It seems as if the management should put out notices warning tenants.

Both robbery victims were part of the Manor. In fact the first victim was the manager of the Manor. She went across the street to a fast food place, sat down, and was soon hit on the head from behind. The robber got her purse or wallet and ran away. Then a few days later, and it sounds like the same evildoer, an elderly tenant of the Manor was robbed late at night just outside the front gate. Evidently this woman likes to walk around late at night. The mugger tried to get her purse, but the woman resisted. It would probably have been better if the elderly woman victim had just let go of her purse. As it was the victim of the robbery got beat up quite a bit.

I don't have any good thoughts on crime, except I think that the Ten Commandments, and other similar writings should be taught in our educational systems. I am ablibbing now, "Train up a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." That is by King Solomon in the book of Proverbs in the Bible, written about 1000 years before the birth pf Christ.

God is said to have given mankind the Ten Commandments so that mankind could live as peacefully, and as happily, as possible.

I will mention my heart medicine just a second here, because I do not get around here very often. My Angioprim medicine seems to be working very good. You can find information about it on the internet. The manufacturer explains some of the reasons why there is controversy about alternate medicines. More of these plaque removing medicines seem to be getting on the market. I just purchased a sample of another one yesterday.
I do not think that all of them are equally strong in removing plaque. I also purchased a sample of a Norwegian medicine that boosts up the body's immune system. I do not feel sick from anything, except my edema legs, but one of my neighbors has an upset stomach, so I thoght I would sample the immune system medicine and let my neighbor try some also. benn
gozgals

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane says:

Quote:
Maybe the GPS should be used to keep nonviolent offenders out of prisons so they can be used to house violent offenders. I wouldn't want to see more violent offenders roaming the streets, GPS or no (but, of course, better with GPS than without).

I agree Jane. I don't want violent criminals walking the streets. A good resource for non-violent offenders but as you stated, if no choice, better to use as to not.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Benn, so sorry to hear about the crime encountered recently where you live. Crime has no barriers and touches us all. I too wish they would post signs where you live to warn people about what is going on.

Take care,

Goz
benn

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello goz, I think I posted one reply this morning in the wrong place, but it will probably show up somewhere. I don't have any answers much to crime, except I think that all of mankind should be born again, and of course everyone can decide for themselves how they ar egoing to react to crime.

It is my opinion that much of crime and bad behaviour is coming into being because much of our world is living in ignorance. Ignorant is a word that I do not like, but all it really means is that we do not know something about a certain subject, or about certain subjects. We can be the smartest person in the world and still be ignorant about something.

One encouraging thing I see now, coming in over the Internet is that our world is becoming smaller and smaller, and there are many people trying to make the world a better place for us to live. With my TV satellite software on my computer I can hear and see Muslims chanting the Koran in Arabic and other people in third world regions trying to bring better drinking water and better food to their regions. But we still have huge geological disasters in the world, therefore all of us should think a little of what we would do if one of these disasters should take us out of this world prematurely, in death.

I can still remember back when I was seven years old amd we were taking earthquake drills in my second grade school class. I think we were supposed to get under our school desks. And we are still doing things like that today. Therefore we should be prepared for what will happen to us if such an event should take place in the area whre we live.

I think God has a place prepared for us, but I am still very ignorant of how and where God is going to take care of us. Benn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: