www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Condit interview "Gary Condit: From All Angles"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jane

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: New Condit interview "Gary Condit: From All Angles" Reply with quote

Here's a link to an article about a new Condit interview:
http://www.fresnobee.com/263/story/322818.html
blondie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should read the interview. It starts out with his alibi. It is long but worth the read. There are several interesting comments and quotes. Lots of pictures too!

californiaconversations.com
rd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the link:

Gary Condit: From All Angles
Written by Terence McHale
Published Issue: Winter 2008

http://www.californiaconversations.com/index.php/politics/fullarticle/gary_condit_from_all_angles/
James Anderson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this article about Chandra's mother visiting Washington again. Near the end she has an interesting reaction to Condits latest interview.

Levy drums up notice in capital
By MICHAEL DOYLE
BEE WASHINGTON BUREAU

last updated: February 14, 2008 08:57:29 AM
WASHINGTON — Susan Levy drums and grieves, drums and smiles, drums and grieves again.

Her daughter, Chandra, died nearly seven years ago, murdered by person or persons unknown. This week, healing drum in hand, Susan Levy returned to some of Chandra's haunts. She read the files, she met the cops, she beat the sound that soothes her.

"It represents the heartbeat, the heartbeat of all those who have been lost," Levy said of her solo drumming Wednesday morning. "This is the drumming of the heartbeat of all the victims."

Levy has traveled from her Modesto home to the nation's capital multiple times since Chandra disappeared on or about April 30, 2001. Some things have stayed the same.

Washington, D.C., police, with whom Levy met again recently, still have no suspect in Chandra's murder, nor could they offer much solace. Levy said the detectives basically folded their arms across their chests as they listened to her; they seemed, she said, "very, very hard ... calloused."

Then again, there have been more than 1,100 homicides in Washington, D.C., since Chandra Levy died.

"My visit is to make sure Chandra is not just a statistic," Levy said.

In other ways, though, much has changed.

A swarm of TV crews waited in the Rayburn House Office Building on Wednesday morning, around the corner from where Levy entered. Back when Chandra's disappearance captivated a national audience, the TV crews might have been waiting to ambush Susan Levy. On Wednesday, she entered unnoticed. The camera crews wanted baseball great Roger Clemens, called before a House hearing on steroid use.

Nor was Levy on Capitol Hill this time solely on her daughter's behalf. Throughout the week, she has accompanied Maxine Russell, a Southern California woman whose son Darren died in China in April 2005. Russell believes Darren was murdered; the Chinese government says he died in an accident.

Russell wants to draw congressional attention to her son's case, whose many details she has obsessively committed to memory. Without prompting, she will show the saddest photographs in the world; her undressed son, dead. Levy linked up with Russell to lend a hand with publicity.

"Our paths are very similar in a lot of ways," Russell said.

Mothers in arms

Together, Russell and Levy walked Wednesday morning to the office of a Southern California congressman who has expressed some interest in Russell's case. They were near the former office of one-time San Joaquin Valley Rep. Gary Condit, whose ambiguous relationship with Chandra Levy once drew huge tabloid and cable TV interest.

Levy carried with her a document she had tried to share with police, an interview Condit recently gave to the Sacramento-based California Conversations magazine.

"I did not have a romantic relationship with Chandra Levy," Condit told the magazine.

Pressed, Condit added that it was "none of your business whether he had a strictly sexual relationship with the much-younger woman.

"I mean, if I were to start answering it, well, then, how many times did you have sex," Condit said, explaining the kind of follow-up questions that might be expected.

Levy clearly found Condit's answers provocative; for the record, though, she said she would have no comment. Previously, neither Condit nor his attorneys have denied news accounts that he told police he was sexually involved with Levy.

Levy estimated that she spent about 13 hours over the past week painstakingly picking through the documents accumulated by her attorneys at the firm Pepper Hamilton. The family's files contain gruesome material including photographs of Chandra's skull — "No mother should have to look at that," Levy said — but they still lack some of the material collected by police and the FBI.

Some places Levy did not visit this week, including the Dupont Circle apartment building her daughter once lived in.

"I maybe would have wanted to drum there," Levy said, "but they probably would have kicked me out."
Rainbow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Mrs. Levy Update Reply with quote

Good job, James!
rd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The California Conversations article "Gary Condit: From All Angles" is indeed a snowjob. Written by a lobbyist for a lobbyist firm, whom we can presume wouldn't mind an additional seat at the public trough if they could rehabilitate Condit enough to get lobbyist work, the writer not only acts as an unquestioning conduit for Condit's spin on his past, but the writer Terence McHale actively spins on his own.

It's a joint effort, to be sure.

We will examine each spin point by point and provide the integrity in examining Condit's story that these lobbyists lack.

rd

click to read the online true crime mystery novel Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy

www.justiceforchandra.com home page
rd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condit's opening gambit is truly breathtaking:

On April 30, 2001, 53-year-old Congressman Gary Condit is sitting opposite President George Bush when the topic of the crippling energy crisis in California is raised. Bush, barely three months in office, tells Condit to take up the subject with Vice President Dick Cheney. Condit says Cheney is refusing to meet with the California democratic delegation.

The Vice President will meet with you is the President’s answer.

The following day, May 1, 2001, Condit and Cheney meet privately at the Capitol. There is no resolution on energy, but the discussion covers other topics, such as the new University of California in Condit’s district and the controversy surrounding the Endangered Species Act.

From the beginning, I argued that Condit's meeting with Cheney was obviously arranged at the last minute, probably at the White House the previous day when he was at the luncheon. The question of course was why request a meeting with the Vice President of the United States at the last minute for the time your mistress disappears?

From chapter Alibi:

Just before Chandra logged off the internet for the last time and disappeared, Condit went into a private meeting with Vice President Dick Cheney in Cheney's office he keeps in the House of Representatives to discuss the California energy crisis, that crisis of a deregulation experiment that was bringing down Condit's ally, Governor Gray Davis....

Michael Isikoff of Newsweek cites "sources familiar with the meeting", vague enough to be from Condit or the Republicans, as saying that Cheney and two aides met with Condit "at the suggestion of Republican leaders". Weiss the press secretary described it to CNN as a typical meeting.

A 12:30 pm lunchtime meeting with Cheney without lunch sounds like Cheney was accomodating a last minute request from a critical Congressional vote, Condit, for a meeting with him, possibly made by Condit during the previous day, Monday, when Condit was at a White House lunch. Was Isikoff's source a representative of one of those Republican leaders or of Condit? How long in advance was the meeting requested? Is there a Republican leader who says he sought an urgent meeting between Condit and Cheney? Was there another member of Congress from California who Cheney also met with for the same urgent reason, or were they just "reaching out" to Condit?

Did Condit usually meet with Republican leaders such as the Vice President and aides without any of his own staff as he did for that meeting? Was Cheney aware who the Republican leaders were who requested it? If Republican leaders requested it, wouldn't he need to know the specific agenda to address to Condit? Or did he, in fact, come to listen to Condit, because there was no Republican leaders asking for a meeting?

So Condit's gambit here is to answer these critical questions by saying that President Bush told him to, that Cheney would meet with him, and that Cheney met only with Condit because Condit was the only one asking.

Not only that, but that Cheney had previously refused to meet with Condit and was doing it upon orders from Bush when Condit complained to Bush about it at the lunch.

I find the story remarkable. It certainly has escalated Condit's previous inclusion of Cheney as an alibi into a much more rarified atmosphere.

The importance of this alibi with Cheney is that he gave it as an alibi until 3:30 in the afternoon (meet with VP Cheney at 12:30, return to office at 3:30), but it only lasted 20 minutes, until 12:50, as one would expect with a last minute meeting request granted at a lunch hour the next day. Cheney would obviously have previously scheduled commitments at 1:00 and throughout the afternoon.

Is it happenstance that he requested an urgent meeting for the day that Chandra disappeared, then found it convenient to use wording that implied he was with the VP when Chandra disappeared?

I find it next to impossible to believe that Cheney wouldn't meet with Condit until Bush intervened (Condit phrases it as refuse to meet with the California Democratic delegation as political cover). If Bush and Cheney confirmed this through their spokespersons would be the only way I would believe it, that being that I see no reason for Bush and Cheney to try to protect Condit at this point.

But it's very difficult to believe with the power that Condit had and the political significance of California and energy deregulation problems at the time that Cheney would not be most interested in hearing what the head of the Blue Dogs had to say to him. I will call bluff on Condit on this.

That's the nicest way I can phrase it.

rd
Rainbow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, was Mrs. Levy gathering information from Pepper-Hamilton to give to the college group that is researching the case? What do you think?
rd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, Rainbow, I don't know. She spoke to them a couple of weeks ago. I would hope they asked her for any info she had.

She said in the article that her lawyers didn't have much of the information that the police and FBI had, but the college program investigators were said to be considered cold case associates by the DC police.

I would hope they get as much info as possible from both the Levys and the DC police.

I was thinking more about her seeing what she could take to the police to talk about in her latest visit. Didn't sound like it went too well. She found their reception very hard and calloused.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale continues shilling for Condit:

Across town, a young woman thirty years his junior is leaving a Washington internship and returning to her home in Condit’s congressional district. She is on her computer looking for places to go before she catches a plane.

Her name is Chandra Levy.

I wonder if McHale is aware or cares that Chandra didn't have a plane ticket home, and that the last time she had flown home, five months earlier in December, she was provided tickets by Condit.

From chapter Big News:

But Chandra hadn't yet decided to take a train home or fly by that Friday evening for her upcoming USC graduation ceremony in two weeks. She had known about going back to California for her graduation commencement since December. She had only found out she wouldn't need to come back to her job a week ago. Taking a train couldn't have been an option until she lost her internship. Why had she not already arranged a round trip plane ticket for the May 11 graduation in LA, or had she?

The last time she returned to California, in December for her finals, Condit had supplied her flight tickets. She was so excited about that she e-mailed a friend and told her. She was expecting Condit to marry her, wouldn't she be expecting him to provide another ticket home as he had before?

In addition, she wasn't leaving her internship, she was unceremoniously booted out the door to her complete shock and dismay. From chapter BOP:

Helen Kennedy of the New York Daily News obtained an e-mail Chandra sent to her landlord from which she describes the sudden loss of her internship:

This was not the way the program I was in was
supposed to work, someone in the human resources
office of the agency I worked for didn't do their
job very well.

Why did the BOP boot her out the door? The BOP supervisors and HR people involved need to answer that, as well as how Chandra got a prestigous $27,000 paid internship in the Bureau of Prisons Public Relations office with allegedly one phone call from California.

The Modesto Bee reported that Condit arranged it. The BOP denies it, and denies they abruptly terminated Chandra's internship, as well as "lost" her application to become full-time. Chandra's application to the FBI was also "lost", although an electronic record of her application managed to keep from being purged by whoever destroyed the paper documents.

Read chapter BOP and decide for yourself. Condit may not give any answers to California Conversations or anyone else he has talked to, but better answers than what the BOP has provided need to be obtained under oath.

So much for sitting around waiting to catch a flight home.

rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: