www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Liza Murphy -3/19/07 - NJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gozgals

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Liza Murphy -3/19/07 - NJ Reply with quote

Liza Murphy

Missing: 8/19/07

Sex Female

Race White

Age 42

Height 5'2"

Weight 120 lbs.

Hair (Color, Description, Facial Hair) Blond

Eyes (Color and Correction) Brown

Last Seen Emerson, NJ
Liza Murphy was last seen leaving her home in Emerson, NJ, after an argument with her husband.

Other Possible Locations New Jersey
gozgals

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: AMW File Reply with quote

http://www.amw.com/missing_persons/case.cfm?id=48133

Missing Mother Raises Concerns
On August 19, 2007, a mother of three left her home in Emerson, N.J. and has not been seen since. According to what her husband told police, 42-year-old Liza Murphy left their house on that Sunday afternoon after the two had an argument.

Police learned about Liza's disappearance the following day, August 20, when an anonymous caller contacted the Emerson Police Department to report her missing.

Detectives soon learned that Liza had apparently walked out of her home with nothing but the clothes on her back. She left behind her cell phone, her money, and her wallet.

Since then, local police departments have performed ground and air searches in the wooded areas near Liza's house, but have had no luck. The searches for the missing mother will continue as police and family members struggle to discover what happened to their missing loved one.

Less than a week after his wife disappeared, 39-year-old Joseph Murphy jumped into moving traffic.
New Developments
Less than a week after his wife disappeared, 39-year-old Joseph Murphy allegedly tried to commit suicide by jumping into moving traffic. Police say that Joseph first stepped in front of a bus and a Lexus, but fortunately both vehicles were able to swerve and avoid him.

However, Joseph made a third attempt and stepped in front of a fire official's cruiser, which could not move in time and struck the man. After the impact, Joseph was transported to Hackensack University Medical Center with a broken pelvis, and internal and facial injuries.

Police do not know why Joseph attempted to kill himself by jumping in front of an automobile, but are continuing their intense search for his missing wife in the hopes of finding some answers.
gozgals

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: comment Reply with quote

Liza has a fight with her husband and leaves her wallet, money and cell phone behind. No mention of the car yet till I post the other links , maybe it is there.

I do not buy this story. Husband tries to kill himself three times. This sounds like a guilty man. Why would he leave his children behind or not wait till she came back home? I think sadly I know how this story is goung to end. I hope not.

My thoughts go out to Liza and her family for a safe return.

See below for more links.

Goz
gozgals

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkzJmZnYmVsN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3MTg1ODM5

Fears grow with search for missing Emerson mom

Friday, August 24, 2007

By JOSEPH AX
STAFF WRITER

Authorities grew increasingly pessimistic Friday as they stepped up their search for a missing Emerson mother.

“To be honest, it doesn’t look good at this point,” Emerson Police Chief Michael Saudino said Friday afternoon. “I find it strange that she hasn’t tried to contact her children, let them know that Mom is okay.”

Joseph Murphy told police his wife, Liza, left their home on Sunday following an argument. On Thursday, they said, he stepped into the path of a Westwood fire vehicle in what’s being characterized as a suicide attempt. He remained hospitalized Friday with several broken bones and internal injuries.

Meanwhile, the couple’s three children were staying with Joseph Murphy’s sister.

Investigators have no evidence the 42-year-old mother met with foul play.

“We have no suspects at this time,” Molinelli said. “This is still a missing persons case.”Yet both the prosecutor and the police chief said they believe Liza Murphy would have somehow reached out to her children at some point the past several days if she were OK.

Authorities early Friday expanded their search of a wooded area surrounding the Oradell Reservoir southeast of the Murphys’ Broad Street home, using K-9 units and all-terrain vehicles. The Emerson Fire Department launched its boat onto the reservoir to examine the shoreline.

Local police also took to the air in a Port Authority Police Department helicopter equipped with a heat-detecting camera, sweeping over the woods and along the cliffs of the Palisades.

Saudino acknowledged the hundreds of acres, coupled with the massive reservoir, made a complete search of the entire area virtually impossible. However, he said, police will continue to look for at least several more days.

The chief said he had considered asking volunteer firefighters, ambulance corps workers and police reserves to join in a more extensive search today but decided against it due to extreme heat predicted for the area. The larger search may take place another day, he said.

Two witnesses – a worker at a local bagel store and a neighbor – told detectives they may have seen Liza Murphy on Monday, but Saudino said a follow-up indicated they are likely mistaken.

Joseph Murphy, 39, meanwhile, has spoken more than once with investigators but remains relatively “uncooperative,” Saudino said. He remained in surgical intensive care Friday at Hackensack University Medical Center.

The Murphys’ home remained cordoned off Friday as TV crews descended upon the quiet street.

Crime scene investigators from the Bergen County Sheriff’s Office, who searched the home Thursday, were examining Liza Murphy’s Jeep and Joseph Murphy’s van on Friday, said Ben Feldman, a spokesman for Sheriff Leo McGuire.

Comments: Husband talked to LE once but remains uncooperative! Also she left without her car...
gozgals

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkzJmZnYmVsN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3MTg1NTkz

Cops: Husband of missing woman attempted suicide

Click link to read story
gozgals

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Police search woods for missing New Jersey mom Reply with quote

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/28/nj.missing/index.html

Police search woods for missing New Jersey mom

<snip>
NEW YORK (CNN) -- Police on Tuesday scoured a wooded area surrounding a large reservoir in New Jersey, trying to find any evidence of a woman who has been missing for more than a week, police said.

Liza Murphy was reported missing on August 20, police say.

1 of 2 Investigators do not plan to search the water, according to Brian Yehley, an Emerson, New Jersey, police dispatcher.

Police conducted a preliminary search of the area Friday for Liza Murphy, 42, of Emerson. Authorities increased their manpower Tuesday and plan to comb through "several hundred acres," Yehley said.

He would not comment on why that area was being searched.

Emerson police received an anonymous phone call August 20 that Murphy had last been seen the previous day.

Murphy has "made no contact with any of her family members or close friends, which makes us concerned, of course," Emerson Police Chief Michael Saudino told CNN's "Nancy Grace" on Monday.

"And more so that she hasn't tried to contact her three children."

The Bergen (New Jersey) Record reported on its Web site that 200 people, including police officers from dozens of departments and civilian volunteers, took part in the search effort.
<snip>
gozgals

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: hopefully Reply with quote

Maybe she just left home because she was depressed. I do hope this will be the case in this situation but I tend to doubt it . It is great to always hope for a different and better outcome.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294890,00.html

<snip>
FOXNEWS.COM HOME > U.S.

Looking for Liza Murphy: Police Search Wooded Reservoir Area for Missing N.J. Mother
Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Liza Murphy
EMERSON, N.J — The mystery of missing mom Liza Murphy, whose husband tried to kill himself after she vanished, deepened Tuesday after an extensive search turned up no leads in the case.

Emerson, N.J., police and other searchers combed a wooded area around the Oradell Reservoir, less than half a mile from the Murphys' home, looking for the 42-year-old mother of three who was last seen Aug. 19. About 200 people were involved in the search.

Search team leaders told people combing the 110-acre wooded area surrounding the reservoir to look for the obvious: a body. But hours into the hunt, there were no clues to speak of, police said.

"We’ve been combing the woods all day," Emerson Police Officer Joe Alasio said from the scene. "We haven’t found anything I can comment on."

Though they are looking into whether there was foul play involved in Murphy's disappearance, police have been careful to label this a missing person case for now and are not identifying anyone as a suspect until more evidence surfaces.

Suicide hasn't been ruled out; Murphy was suffering from depression and had apparently fought with her husband just before she vanished.

The case took an unusual turn Thursday when police say Joseph Murphy stepped into traffic in a bid to take his own life. He is now refusing to cooperate with the investigation while he recovers at a local hospital from his injuries, including a broken pelvis, according to authorities.

Joseph Murphy told officers his wife left their home after they had an argument on Aug. 19. A friend of Liza's, not her husband, initially reported that she was missing.

Joseph Murphy's attorney told FOX News that his client had already spoken at length with investigators. The lawyer said he wouldn't be surprised if Liza was in hiding at a friend's house. So far, there's no proof of that theory, and police are operating under the assumption that the missing woman may not be alive.

Liza Murphy had been suffering from depression, friends and neighbors told FOX News, but police said they'd never been called to the Murphy home about a domestic disturbance. The couple have three children, ages 13, 11 and 7, and have been living in their home for at least eight years.
<snip>
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: From N. Grace - Transcripts Reply with quote

will discuss this tomorrow.
Goz

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0708/27/ng.01.html

GRACE: Where is Liza Murphy? Let`s go to out to Michelle Sigona with "America`s Most Wanted," tell me the story. I think I`ve got Michelle. Michelle, are you with me?

MICHELLE SIGONA, "AMERICA`S MOST WANTED" CORRESPONDENT: Hi, can you hear me?

GRACE: Hi. What happened?

SIGONA: A week ago yesterday, Nancy, Liza goes missing. Her husband actually, he didn`t report it to police. An anonymous tipster reported her to police. And then the husband was questioned and said, "Look, we had an argument. She left the house without her wallet, without her cell phone, and I haven`t seen her since."

GRACE: OK, a couple of quick questions. What did they argue about?

SIGONA: At this point, we do not know. But I can tell you that there is not a history of domestic violence, from what I`ve learned from investigators.

GRACE: Is the husband employed?

SIGONA: Yes, he is employed. He is a painter. She is a stay-at-home mom.

GRACE: What kind of painter?

SIGONA: I don`t know exactly what kind of painter. I think, if I`m not mistaken, he does paint homes.

GRACE: Do they live in a home? Are they having financial problems?

SIGONA: I don`t know if they`re having financial problems, but I can tell you that they have been married -- I talked to Liza`s mom just a couple of hours ago -- they`ve been married for 15 years now. They have three beautiful children together. The children are staying with an aunt and uncle at this time.

GRACE: Why?

SIGONA: They have been -- you know, just they want to try to keep the children away from the television sets, out of school, you know, away from their friends at this point. They`re not allowed to talk on the phone. They`re kind of keeping them sheltered as much as possible. I mean, you have the mom who is missing -- they haven`t seen their mother in over a week now -- and the dad just a few days ago tries to commit suicide, jumps out, Nancy, not in front of one vehicle, but in front of three cars.

GRACE: Out to Joseph Ax, reporter with "The Record," covering the story. Joseph, explain to me this failed suicide attempt. What happened?

JOSEPH AX, REPORTER, "THE RECORD": Essentially, he was in a town called Westwood, which is just north of Emerson, and he jumped out first in front of a bus, investigators have told me. The bus missed him. He then tried to jump in front of a Lexus, which also missed him, and he finally jumped in front of a fire prevention cruiser, which did, in fact, hit him. He ended up pinned under the car. They had to use a hydraulic lift to get him out, and he suffered extensive injuries. He`s in the hospital now.

GRACE: Dr. Robi Ludwig joining us, psychotherapist and host of a brand-new show on GSN network, "Without Prejudice." Dr. Robi, another failed attempt at committing suicide. What does it mean?

LUDWIG: Well, it could be very possible that, after an argument, something happened, his wife ended up dead, and he`s feeling very remorseful, guilty and suicidal. He could have a history of depression and/or he could be reacting to his wife missing. And perhaps, if she`s suicidal or depressed, we don`t know what her history is, and he`s really overwhelmed.

GRACE: Out to Dr. Bruce Levy, Tennessee state medical examiner, she was being treated for depression and fibromyalgia. How can that contribute in any way to her disappearance?

DR. BRUCE LEVY, MEDICAL EXAMINER: It really wouldn`t have any real significant factor in her disappearance. Fibromyalgia is a disease that causes pain, muscle stiffness, chronic fatigue. It`s frequently associated with depression, but it is not the kind of condition that`s going to result in sudden death. It`s not the kind of condition that is going to cause somebody to commit suicide unless they have a much more serious type of depression.

GRACE: Joining us right now is a very special guest. It is Chief Michael Saudino with the Emerson Police Department. Chief, thank you for being with us. What can you tell me about the circumstances surrounding her disappearance?

CHIEF MICHAEL SAUDINO, EMERSON POLICE DEPARTMENT: There`s not really much we have to go on at this point. She was reported missing on the 19th, Sunday, August 19th, around 2:00 p.m. She`s made no contact with any of her family members or close friends, which makes us concerned, of course, and more so that she hasn`t tried to contact her three children, particularly since the attempt by her husband Friday to take his own life.

GRACE: Had she ever disappeared before, Chief?

SAUDINO: To our knowledge, no.

GRACE: And who saw her last?

SAUDINO: Her husband was the last one reported to see her.

GRACE: And that was during an argument?

SAUDINO: They had an argument, and she left the house, yes.

GRACE: What was the argument about?

SAUDINO: At this point, it`s kind of been undetermined.

GRACE: He can`t tell you?

SAUDINO: And I`d rather not comment on it at this particular time.

GRACE: OK. Has he taken a polygraph?

SAUDINO: No, he has not.

GRACE: Has he been offered a polygraph?

SAUDINO: I believe it was in the works, and then the accident occurred on Friday, which put a stop to that.

GRACE: The accident? Chief Saudino, he didn`t trip on the way out in front of those cars, did he?

SAUDINO: No, he -- we`re convinced that he attempted to take his own life.

GRACE: Now, has he explained that to you, why he would do such a thing with three kids relying on him? Why isn`t he out looking for his wife instead of jumping in front of a car?

SAUDINO: Yes, he really has said very little to us since his attempt on Friday.

GRACE: Chief, why are the kids at an aunt`s house instead of with him, with their father? I would be with my father at that age, I`m sure.

SAUDINO: Well, of course, he`s in the hospital and probably will be for some time.

GRACE: Oh, OK, OK, I didn`t know that. All right, I thought he had been released.

SAUDINO: No, no, he`ll...

GRACE: What are his injuries, Chief?

SAUDINO: I believe he has a broken pelvis. There are some internal injuries. I believe there`s some damage to his liver. At this point, we feel it`s nothing life-threatening. And, you know, he`s got some cuts and swelling on his face.

GRACE: Oh, so he`s totally, totally physically able to be strapped up to a polygraph, right?

SAUDINO: I don`t even think it would be a consideration at this point with his condition in the hospital.

GRACE: Out to the lines, Rebecca in California. Hi, Rebecca.

CALLER: Hi, Nancy, thank you very much. My question is, I`m a little bit confused by the husband`s actions. He didn`t report her missing after an argument, and they got an anonymous phone call saying the wife was missing, and then he decides to throw himself in front of a car. It seems to be becoming an epidemic in the country, all of these people are killing their spouses or their better halves, and then they do this same attempt at suicide, it`s like, "Oh, feel sorry for me. Don`t look at the fact the person I supposedly loved all my life is missing and gone. I want you to feel sorry for me, because I can`t live without them, so I`m going to try to kill myself." What is it? Do they think it`s a free ticket out of jail?

GRACE: What about it, Dr. Robi Ludwig? We`ve seen it over and over, either the suicide or typically suicide attempt.

LUDWIG: Well, in some cases, they`re very highly dependent on the wives that they kill. And it`s almost like cutting their nose to spite their face. So after they kill their wife, then they`re profoundly depressed and suicidal.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

GRACE: Welcome back. Where is the missing mother of three? Back to Michelle Sigona. Tell me about the searches.

SIGONA: Well, there`s been a series of searches, Nancy. A lot has been done throughout a reservoir throughout the Emerson, New Jersey. And then tomorrow another search is going to take place, thankfully, ground, on water, everywhere, just trying to look for her and, at this point, possibly a body.

GRACE: And to Dr. Bruce Levy, Tennessee state medical examiner, the police halted the search due to heat and humidity, why?

LEVY: Well, you have to remember that the extreme heat and humidity that a lot of the country has been suffering through is going to be dangerous to the health of the people who are trying to look for this woman and either find her and bring her home or find her body. And we`re not going to want to risk their health.

GRACE: And, of course, it goes to the decomposition of the body.

Very quickly, Dr. Robi Ludwig, not this guy, but other people, why is it they can`t ever kill themselves, but they can kill their children and their wives so easily? You know, when it comes to them, somehow it just doesn`t work out.

LUDWIG: Well, in some cases, they blame their partner for interfering with them having a happier, better life. And really, when you off your partner, you are committing a form of suicide, because your life is over, as well.

GRACE: Right. OK, again, this guy not convicted and not a suspect, according to police.
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: No Leads in N.J. Missing Mom Case Reply with quote

<snip>
No Leads in N.J. Missing Mom Case
Husband Attempted Suicide 5 Days After Allegedly Accusing Wife of Affair

By DAVID SCHOETZ
Aug. 29, 2007

Liza Murphy was last seen Aug. 19, the day her husband, Joseph, allegedly accused her of having an affair, demanded a divorce and told her to leave their Emerson, N.J., home.

Five days later, Joseph Murphy walked into traffic and, after two vehicles swerved out of the way to miss him, was struck by a fire official's cruiser. He survived what police and his lawyer have described as a suicide attempt, but remains hospitalized at the Hackensack University Medical Center.

A search Tuesday involving more than 200 police officers and volunteers that covered 375 acres of thick woodland in northern New Jersey turned up not a trace of the 42-year-old mother of the three.

Ten days into the search, Sgt. George Buono of the Emerson Police Department told ABC News that police have no concrete leads. "I would say that's correct at this time," Buono said.

There is also no one that police are calling a suspect, including Joseph Murphy, who initially was interviewed by authorities. Since the failed suicide attempt, he has retained a criminal defense lawyer and is no longer cooperating with the investigation.

His attorney, Joseph Rem, didn't return a call from ABC News, but told The Record newspaper in northern New Jersey that his client is innocent and only hired a lawyer because he felt as if police were treating him like a suspect in his wife's disappearance.

Rem said that Joseph Murphy wrote suicide notes to his sister, his children and his wife because he believes she is alive.

"He doesn't have to cooperate with us further, but we're hoping he does," Buono said. "We're interested in finding his wife and he should be interested in the same thing."

Previous Police Reports
Before he tried to kill himself, Joseph Murphy, 39, told police that his wife had left the house on foot. Inside, investigators found many of the woman's belongings that suggested she had left abruptly.

"That's one of the issues we're looking at with her," Buono said. "Her purse was at home. Her cell phone was at home. She was a heavy smoker and her cigarettes were left behind."

No Leads in N.J. Missing Mom Case
2Next
<snip>

Click link for rest of story
http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3537106&page=1

Comments: So we now know they were fighting because the husband thought that she was having an affair! He asked her for a divorce then told her to leave the home. I wonder what happened next and why she did not take ANYTHING WITH HER? Of course the husband has hired a lawyer, not that any of these men go without one!

I think, of course just a guess, a fight took place and he may have killed her by accident or even on purpose (guilt, and why he is trying to take his own life).
gozgals

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears we have a suggestion that Joseph was also a controlling husband and no evidence that Liza was having an affair. My thoughts are that he is involved in her disappearance and that is why he tried to take his own life.

I do not believe she would have left all her stuff behind (purse, keys, phone, etc) and would not walk out on her children. Yet, he made 3 attempts to take his life while his wife is missing and he has children to care for....

http://wcbstv.com/local/local_story_246115237.html
Sep 3, 2007
Mother Of Missing Woman Afraid She's Dead

Quote:
Despite trouble in their marriage, Stellatos said her daughter wasn't cheating on her husband. Stellatos said Joseph Murphy was extremely controlling over his wife.

"Nothing she ever did was right," Stellatos said. "She wasn't allowed to have any friends."
gozgals

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: no news to date Reply with quote

Bumping for Liza.

Have not found any updates.

Let us hope we get some news and she is found.

Another sad case with no leads, at least when I searched this evening.
If anyone finds any updated news, please post.

Goz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: