www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In Defense of Dominick Dunne: For His Legal Counsel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Greta tonight with Wood and LiCalsi and the panel of legal commentators. They followed each other so no direct communication. I thought all did well in presenting their cases.

Lin Wood was emphatic that Dunne implicated Condit in Chandra's murder and destroyed his political career. He was also adamant that his stopping Condit from answering questions was what a lawyer should do until a judge has now ordered relevant questions be answered, with relevance pretty broad. They will still argue over relevance, but a magistrate will preside over the deposition to rule on each question, assuming Condit ever appears again to answer questions.

LiCalsi refuted well, and made a point iof referring to the Gallup polls for 2001 to show that Condit's poll ratings had already fallen apart long before December, 2001 when Dunne is alleged to have ruined his public reputation. In addition, after LiCalsi spoke it was clear that Wood had far overstated what Dunne had said.

The legal panel seemed to agree, and to a person couldn't believe or didn't think it was wise for Condit to expose himself to questioning with this lawsuit. On top of everything else, Condit is a public figure and the burden to show that Dunne lied about him is immeasurably larger.

But even under libel and slander laws as applied to those who aren't public figures, Dunne didn't impugn Condit unfairly, and in fact LiCalsi points out that they still can't get a straight answer from Condit, showing that Dunne's characterizations are still true to this day.

rd
laskipper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utterly fantastic, rd! I wonder if LiCalsi got his idea from our board about the Polls? That would be so gratifying- to know that our ideas helped to get Dunne off the hook (hopefully) and furthered Chandra's cause just a little more.

That made my day! Thanks for the feedback.

ls

PS It sounds like Lin Wood may have overextended himself just a tad? Dunne didn't say that Condit murdered Chandra- ever. Even the remarks that he repeated (horse whisperer story) don't point a finger at Condit as the murderer.
rd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lin Wood is a very honest and straight lawyer, and he admitted it is only implied, but he will make the case the stretch is justified. I honestly believe that he doesnt have a chance before a jury but that they hope Dunne folds and pays to make them go away, as in perhaps the potential of a large jury award and definitely hoping to ruin Dunne's reputation if he won't pay Condit a lot of money.

If I was Dunne, I would think that this only enhances his reputation to tell it like it is in the face of such attempts to scare him into paying Condit off.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from Greta's blog on Fox News following teh show:

from www.foxnews.com (fair use)

E-mail No. 3 — Former Congressman Gary Condit is suing writer Dominick Dunne for comments Dunne made that Condit claims were libelous. A jury will decide this at some point.

Gary Condit is delusional if he thought he ever had a chance of reelection. I never heard anything Dominick Dunne said. I would have never voted for him after the Connie Chung show. Gary Condit needs to accept responsibility for his own actions. He only has himself to blame.

E-mail No. 4

Greta,
I thought Gary Condit's lawyer was kind of rude to you in a way to avoid answering certain questions. Gary Condit jeopardized the Chandra Levy case by not answering and coming forward with information about his involvement with Chandra Levy — whether he is guilty of something or not he is definitely guilty of hindering and not being forward about his relationship with Levy. I really feel for Mr. and Mrs. Levy — I hope they get some closure to this case. I think it is great you bring up unsolved and cold cases. You should put more of these cold cases in your show. It would be an interesting subject. I love the show!
Jeff Thompson
VA

ANSWER: I don't think his lawyer was trying to be rude to me — just forceful in his opinion and aggressive in the representation of his client.
rd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bringing to the top for background for second suit.

rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: