www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geragos using familiar Condit defense in Bonds case

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Geragos using familiar Condit defense in Bonds case Reply with quote

Geragos trots out his Condit grand jury defense again: his clients shouldn't have to testify before grand juries because of leaks. Give me a break. When his argument is ignored, they don't testify anyway. They plead the Fifth.

rd

from www.msnbc.com (fair use)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13816292/

Report: Bonds could be indicted this month
Giants slugger investigated by grand jury for perjury and tax evasion
MSNBC News Services
July 11, 2006

(excerpt)

Judge William Alsup denied Anderson’s plea for bail, ruling that granting such a request would defeat the purpose of jailing the trainer to compel him to testify.

On Monday, Anderson’s attorney Mark Geragos asked the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to overturn Alsup’s ruling and set Anderson free.

Geragos argued in the court papers that Anderson shouldn’t have to testify because of numerous leaks of ostensibly secret grand jury testimony to two San Francisco Chronicle reporters, who have also written a book based largely on leaked testimony.

Grand jury testimony is done in secret and usually can’t be publicly released without the consent of the witness.

“The gross, callous and destructive breaches of grand jury secrecy in this case create ample just cause for Mr. Anderson’s refusal to testify,” Anderson’s appeal stated.

Geragos said in the court filing that government lawyers offered Anderson immunity from prosecution to testify, but he declined because “of his belief that his testimony would likely be released to the press.”

Geragos further argued that the agreement Anderson made with prosecutors to plead guilty last year included language that stated he didn’t have to cooperate with the investigation.

Geragos also argued that Anderson shouldn’t have to testify because he was the target of an illegal wiretap.

end quote
gozgals

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for informing me that GER A GOOSE is Bond's attorney. I did not know. Bonds was once a favorite of mine, (even if he is not a NY Yankee)-Ger a goose, never. Just keep losing more and more respect for Bonds. I know everyone is entitled to a defense.....BUT, geez is all I can say.

It appears as you state:

RD:

"Geragos trots out his Condit grand jury defense again: his clients shouldn't have to testify before grand juries because of leaks. Give me a break. When his argument is ignored, they don't testify anyway. They plead the Fifth. "

Goz
rd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi goz, he's not the lawyer for Bonds, but for Bonds' trainer who has been accused of supplying steroids and has been jailed for refusing to testify to the grand jury.

The list of Geragos clients who for whatever reason are unable to answer questions continues to grow.

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rd for clearing that up for me. I even read the links and got confused.

Good day Rd.

Goz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: