www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Car wash surveillance camera catches kidnapping on tape
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from www.cnn.com (fair use)

Amber Alert timing questioned
February 16, 2004

SARASOTA, Florida (AP) -- By the time an Amber Alert was issued for 11-year-old Carlie Brucia, a full day had passed since the moment she was led away by a dark-haired stranger in an abduction that was videotaped by a security camera.

The alert on February 2 caught the public's attention and is being credited with helping lead detectives to a suspect, Joseph P. Smith. But Carlie's body was found several days later, and now the alert system is under scrutiny for the ways it is used and the timing of its implementation.

The new attention to the 7-year-old system comes at a time when a national Amber Alert system is in the works and more police agencies are turning to alerts to find missing children.

While it is credited with helping rescue more than 120 children from kidnappers since 1996 -- including Wednesday's kidnapping of month-old Jesse Peaster, who was found safe just hours he was taken from his home near Lincoln, Missouri -- records show the use of the alert system has been haphazard.

Some police departments have been quick to issue alerts when a child isn't in danger, while other agencies such as Sarasota have been more conservative in their approach and not issued alerts quickly, even when a child's life was at stake.

The Justice Department says time is of the essence in abductions, citing statistics that show three-quarters of the children killed by their kidnappers are slain within the first three hours of their disappearance.

Among the critics of the Amber Alert system is Marc Klaas, the father of Polly Klaas, who was kidnapped from her mother's California home and slain in 1993.

Klaas said most police agencies are too slow to issue Amber Alerts, for one thing because states must have each other's permission to broadcast cross-border Amber Alerts.

"Little girls are dying out there and somebody better be there speaking up for them," said Klaas, who owns a company that provides Amber Alert services in three states. "Maybe that is the legacy of Carlie Brucia. She can instruct kids for generations to come on how easy it is for an innocent child to be kidnapped."

The alert system, named for 9-year-old Amber Hagerman, who was kidnapped and killed in Dallas, is in use in 47 states. The three states that don't use it -- Alaska, Hawaii and North Carolina -- are close to implementing the system, said Deborah Daniels, the assistant U.S. attorney general overseeing the national alert program.

The alert system uses a state's emergency notification system to give broadcasters a description of a missing child and of a suspect's vehicle. That description is also displayed on electronic highway signs and, in some states, on the scrolling message of electronic lottery machines.

Most states have guidelines requiring police to determine that a kidnapping has taken place and that a child is in danger before issuing an alert.

The Sarasota County Sheriff's Office said it followed such state guidelines in Carlie's case, but by the time that process was complete she already had missing for a day.

Sarasota officials said they don't want to issue too many alerts and have the public start ignoring them.

Carlie's family said earlier this month they are not angry at the sheriff's office for not issuing the alert sooner. But they said they were frustrated that when they tried to get the word out themselves they were told nothing could be done until the sheriff's office confirmed a kidnapping.

"You can't issue one on your everyday normal runaway case," said Donna Hodges, director of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement's Missing Children Information Clearinghouse, which disseminates Amber Alerts sent in by police departments.

Police in the Panhandle town of Niceville issued an alert last month for 15-year-old girl, then learned two days later she had run off with a boyfriend.

Niceville police Lt. Jason Fulghum said the department doesn't regret its decision.

"Looking back on it, you wish that you had not sent out the manpower," he said. "A lot of investigators went through some sleepless nights searching for her. But you are so relieved that she is safe and so relieved that it's not the worse-case scenario."

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press
rd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is filed under what the hell is going on down there in Tampa? This just after Carlie Brucia kidnapped and the murderer shown on tv. I doubt that even public hangings would change these guy's behavior. That is, other then the ones publically hung. Well, that's a good enough start for me.

rd

from www.local6.com (fair use)

Police: Fla. Mom Thwarts Kidnapper At Grocery Store
POSTED: 6:07 am EST March 16, 2004

TAMPA, Fla. -- Police say a suspicious mom thwarted an attempted kidnapping after a man at a grocery store approached her daughter and a friend, said he was a security guard and told them they needed to come with him.

Michael Bruno, 35, of St. Petersburg, was charged with felony attempted kidnapping, Tampa police said Monday.

Police said that on Saturday, Bruno approached 11-year-old Amanda Jorgensen and 12-year-old Haley Cohen at a Winn-Dixie a few feet from Haley's mother, Judy Cohen, 48.

Cohen said he told her he saw one of the girls put something in her pocket and that Amanda needed to come with him.

When Cohen asked him for identification, he told her this was a police matter and insisted that Amanda needed to leave, she said.

Cohen grasped the girls' hands.

"I said, 'We'll all go with you as soon as you show some ID,'" she said.

She said he shrugged and turned away, and she followed him toward the front of the store.

After he ditched his basket of groceries and walked toward the exit, Cohen yelled for someone to stop him, saying he had tried to kidnap a child.

"I was pretty hysterical at that point because I realized what had happened," she said.

A customer and a clerk chased the man across the road and cornered him about two blocks and held him for police.

Bruno was held without bail Monday at Orient Road Jail. Police spokesman Joe Durkin said Bruno told officers he had "blacked out and did not remember anything."

Public records show Bruno received a year of probation in 1998 after he pleaded guilty to two misdemeanors, battery and trespassing.

Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press.
jane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good thing the mother was nearby and intervened. Can you believe this guy kept up the attempt after she confronted him? Not the sharpest tool in the shed! I hope he'll be charged with attempted kidnapping - he sure shouldn't be let off the hook.
rd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Held without bail is a good start, jane! I believe he was charged with felony attempted kidnapping.

rd
peripeteia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My God, something is very wrong with the World and it would be interesting to see where women are being kipnapped and killed the most?
It is alarming, and some education needs to be directed at Youth on how to behave in such situations as Carrie found herself in, what should she have done.

Regarding the other two girls with the attempted kidnapping what could have these two young girls done had their mother not intercepted buddy and foiled his plans.

Who could believe the stories and if they were all gathered one one page, you'd have to get a more memory to house the stories on your computer.
This is totally out of control, action for education against abuse and assault must take place in school at a very young age, as well as drugs, and at risk behaviors...wow it is mind boggling the task at hand.

Law enforcement, needs to get on the ball and release information. It is always best to error on the side of caution when a life might be at stake, unfortunatley with children especially teenagers their behavior is not always predictable. Of course there will be a number of false alarms, however, more often that not something is very wrong. Teenagers might become more responsible if they have run off and are charged with mischief. That might encourage the teens to notify their parents as to their whereabouts and to make contact when they are going to be late.

Children must be alerted to the dangers, they must be taught to avoid certain things, like walking alone, or wandering alone, talking to strangers, accepting drives, and being charged by the police or security etc., even being alone with teachers and coaches etc.

Well hell on wheels, I began teaching my son at 4 and 5 about these things as there was a sexual predator on the loose, and I took no chances, nor did other members of the school and the teachers and principals, as well as the police. By what is going on in society I think I started late to teach my son about being street wise, I'd start today by two.

Kate
rd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted another story like this last year, kate. The "security guard" abduction in stores is apparently a real popular trick for these deviants. It is not easy to teach how to handle this. The girls are already being accused of shoplifting and being ordered by "law enforcement" to come with them. Easy to say start screaming, and they must, but let's not forget how difficult this is for a child to handle.

It is the word of a "shoplifter" against an alleged undercover guard to any bystanders unless the "shoplifter" raises one heck of a fuss to save her life on the way out the door.

rd
peripeteia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct rd, this poses challenges, however again on the side of caution it is better to make a stink and look like a nut and demand that someone look at his/her ID. You are so right on about being difficult, most adults would panic as well, likely myself too. Without education as to what to do, no change will be made. The change has to come with how you deal with an abductor, or even car jackings although this would be an adult thing. There seems no way to control presently the rise in abductions but we can change behavior that might thwart the efforts of these deviants.

Challenging and difficult!
kate
rd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy at the car wash was convicted, put away way too late to save Carlie. I'm bringing her tragic loss back up for those who want to check the details of what happened as we saw it then.

Carlie Brucia is the girl I refer to in chapter Woman Missing in Murder on a Horse Trail where I conclude with:

Maybe a little girl's impending death caught on tape will do it. Something must move us to act. Surely we cannot wait for the wolves to strike aqain.

But we did, and we are.

rd

Track offenders with GPS recorders!
gozgals

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Rd- I could not watch this animal on tv.

I know my family member has a large company right outside this area and if I'm correct I was told at the time, the owner of the car wash just installed a new sur. system, ( I may be incorrect and their is either a golf course or range behind the car wash).

Once again:
rd
Quote:
Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:14 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The guy at the car wash was convicted, put away way too late to save Carlie. I'm bringing her tragic loss back up for those who want to check the details of what happened as we saw it then.

Carlie Brucia is the girl I refer to in chapter Woman Missing in Murder on a Horse Trail where I conclude with:

Maybe a little girl's impending death caught on tape will do it. Something must move us to act. Surely we cannot wait for the wolves to strike aqain.

But we did, and we are.

Track offenders with GPS recorders!

AMEN. I agree.

Prayers to the family. I will re-read all and your chapter.
rd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith has just been given the death penalty by the jury in Sarasota, breaking news on Paula Zahn. Carlie's mother looks like justice has been served. That's another thing a mother shouldn't have to feel.

Along with losing your daughter to a predator.

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Comments Reply with quote

This was certainly a case the death penalty was deserved. How sad for the family and the loss of life of such a young child-- all for nothing rd.

It has to break ones heart in pieces. I'm glad it is over for the family.

This crime was so horrendous, and all for the sake of what? WHAT?

All this suffering, just meaningless. Even Joe's family couldn't stand up for him in court. I could not watch it at all, but saw a few passing briefs on TV and read a few articles.

May Carlie rest now and thank God her family now has justice.

When will this ever stop!

GG)
rd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The judge will sentence Smith March 15. The jury had voted for the death penalty.

The guy's claims of wanting to die that day are sickening. Instead he took little Carlie Brucia's life.

People like him only die by execution, after an innocent young girl has had her life and all innocence they ever knew taken from them in their last breath of life.

An innocent girl we didn't protect, because we let this thug roam the streets for victims.

We have large deserts, and plenty of room for cages. It is time to fill them.

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rd: I heard tidbits of Joe's begging and whining pleas to the judge. If he really cared why did he put the family through the trial in the first place?

Why didn't he admit to the murder of poor little Carlie and take it like a man from the start? It appears to be an attempt to spare himself yet what did he do when Carlie begged him, a child crying for her life?

Her grandma put it best somewhere along these lines: "Maybe he should be judged by a jury of HIS PEERS IN PRISON!" I'm sure we all know what they even feel for the Joe Smith's in Prison.

The whining was all about him....his addictions, his wanting to die that day, him, him, and him. He didn't know what he was doing. Well-- I don't think the drugs interfered with his choices since it is very clear on the videotape Smith had it together enough to take Carlie, brutalize and kill her, and get rid of the body! Seems to me he had his shit together. Taking his own life would have been the way to go.

Quote:
The guy's claims of wanting to die that day are sickening. Instead he took little Carlie Brucia's life.

I so agree that we do have enough space in our deserts Rd. Maybe it is time our judges see fit to keep our criminals behind bars too.

Goz
jane

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goz wrote, The whining was all about him....his addictions, his wanting to die that day, him, him, and him....

That's the way all perpetrators think. If they have tears in their eyes, it is always when they're talking about their struggles, never about how their victims suffered.

I was flabbergasted at the so-called BTK guy who gave an Academy-Award-acceptance-style speech at the penalty phase of his trial ("I would like to thank ... the jury ... the judge ... my defence team ... the prosecutors ..." ) Bizzarro world! But I should know better than to be flabbergasted at the behaviour of a perpetrator.
rd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this puts an end to one tragedy. The SOB got death. Now he'll spend many years, longer than Carlie even lived, living a comfortable life on death row until by the time he dies, if ever, Carlie's brutally shortened life will be only a distant memory.

There should be no moving around and socializing for long term prisoners. They should be moved to cages out in the desert, appropiately with water and cooled as needed, given a speaker/browser on the wall for communication and left to spend life there, a treadmill for exercise.

No need for guards to come around, just drop MRE's down from an overhead conveyor belt, and carry them out the same way when needed. Cost should only be a very few thousand dollars a year.

Fill the desert with as many cages as needed. No one at any level should be released or not jailed to start with because of cost and overcrowding.

That is why this bastard was roaming for yet another victim, sweet young innocent Carlie Brucia. The only thing stopping those cages from going up in the desert tomorrow is ourselves.

rd

from www.orlandosentinel.com (fair use)

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/sfl-315sarasotamurder,0,653480.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

From the South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Carlie's killer gets death sentence, 2 life terms
Associated Press
March 15, 2006

SARASOTA -- The 39-year-old former mechanic convicted abducting, raping and killing 11-year-old Carlie Brucia was sentenced Wednesday to death.

Joseph P. Smith, whose abduction of the girl two years ago was caught by a security camera and subsequently aired on TV, showed no emotion after state Circuit Judge Andrew Owens gave the sentence for first-degree murder. Smith was sentenced to life in prison for both his kidnapping and capital sexual battery convictions.

The same jury that convicted Smith recommended by a vote of 10-2 that he be executed. Owens was required by law to give ``great weight'' to that recommendation.

``This court agrees with the jury ... The scales of life and death tilt unequivocally toward the side of death,'' Owens told Smith before he was led from the courtroom in handcuffs.

During a hearing last month, Smith tearfully apologized for his crimes, telling Owens that he took large amount of heroin and cocaine trying to kill himself before he abducted Carlie on Feb. 1, 2004. Smith said he didn't remember much about that day and asked Owens to spare him for the sake of his family.

But on Wednesday, Owens discounted those arguments. He said Carlie suffered ``unspeakable terror and physical suffering'' at Smith's hands.

Carlie's body was found four days after her disappearance on the grounds of a Sarasota church. News of the crime shook the community, and hundreds turned out for memorial services for the little girl.

During last month's hearing, prosecutor Debra Johnes Riva dismissed arguments by defense attorney Adam Tebrugge that Smith was depressed and in the throes of a raging drug addiction for which he had previously sought help.

Tebrugge also said Smith could lead a productive life in prison and be a positive influence on his three daughters if he was spared.

None of that, Riva said, ``outweighs the horrible crimes that were committed against Carlie Brucia.''

During that hearing, Smith spoke publicly for the first time, saying, ``I take responsibility of my crimes. I don't understand how this could have happened. ... Every day I think about what I did and beg God for forgiveness.''

Absent from the courtroom was Carlie's mother, Susan Schorpen, who is in jail in Pinellas County on drug and prostitution charges. She has said the pain of losing her daughter led her to institutionalize herself three times and take drugs to numb the pain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: