www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why 'Tests determine remains are Chandras' on ModBee today?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Why 'Tests determine remains are Chandras' on ModBee today? Reply with quote

This was on the top 5 read on the Modesto Bee today? What's up with that?

rd

from www.modbee.com (fair use)

http://modestobee.com/local/story/2841000p-3632511c.html

Tests determine remains are Chandra Levy's

BEE STAFF REPORTS
Last Updated: April 30, 2003, 11:03:13 AM PDT

Skeletal remains found today in Washington’s Rock Creek Park belong to missing Modesto woman Chandra Levy.

A law enforcement source told the Bee that positive identification of the remains were made by the Washington D.C. medical examiner.

The official announcement was made around 3 p.m.

The remains were found earlier Wednesday afternoon in “a remote area” of the 2,820-acre park and had been spread around, possibly by animals, Washington Police Chief Charles Ramsey said.

The remains were found by a man who was out walking his dog and looking for turtles, Ramsey said. In addition to the skeletal remains, clothing such as a red jogging bra and tennis shoes were found.

Outside the Levy's home north of Modesto, Levy family attorney George Arata said they learned the hard way that the body had been identified as Chandra's. "The Levy's first heard by the way of the news. Then they talked to Chief Ramsey, who confirmed that the remains were that of Chandra," Arata said.

Ramsey's first call to the Levys came about 9:30 a.m., informing them remains had been discovered.

"Everybody is taking this quite seriously," Arata said earlier in the day. "It's quite credible."

When asked whether it was the tone of the chief's voice during the conversation, the location or the findings, Arata replied, "all of the above."

Stanislaus County Sheriff Les Weidman spoke in general terms about evidence and families awaiting news about their loved ones.

"Time has a way of destroying evidence, but it also has a way of preserving evidence," he said.

He said knowing one way or another was a step toward closure.

"For a lot of family members, the worst news is sometimes the best news ... there is some internal relief that comes with knowledge," Weidman said. "It's been a tremendous roller coaster ride for this family. They have been under a great deal of stress for the last few months."

The Sheriff''s Department will maintain a 24-hour presence at the Levy home, Weidman said.

For the continuing coverage of this story check www.modbee.com through the day, or check tomorrow's Modesto Bee. Pick up a copy at any of these locations.
propria

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that really is interesting, isn't it?? how were you able to determine that it was in the top five stories read ... and can you tell whether the hits on it were repeated readings by one or a few persons or a lot of hits by a bunch of different people?

nanci
rd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi nanci,

When you click on the Modesto Bee's website, www.modbee.com, included on the page is this:

TODAY'S HIGH FIVE
What we are reading today
1. 3 Salida teens arrested in robbery outside eatery
2. Tests determine remains are Chandra Levy's
3. Wednesday's Football Results
4. Wife's bites cause death, police claim
5. Hospital says fake druggist did no harm

That's from this morning. Of course, once it's listed then most people will click on anything of interest in the list. Chandra's article has risen from fourth to second with obvious results from being prominently displayed on the front page in the list, thus getting more views.

It's why it gets to the list in the first place that is curious. I doubt the software keeps a list of viewers, so someone could automate views of it and get the count up, I'm pretty sure.

Or it could be mentioned and linked somewhere in a heavily trafficed website and that will do it for sure.

rd
jane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm curious about wife's bites (did she bite or be bitten, etc.)
jane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How ghastly - I'll post the link here in case anyone is else is as morbid/curious as I -

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/4828184p-5841435c.html

I've been trying to think why Chandra's story would surface now - if it was near an anniversary (of her disappearance or discovery of remains) it would make more sense than now.
benn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jane wrote:
How ghastly - I'll post the link here in case anyone is else is as morbid/curious as I -

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/4828184p-5841435c.html

I've been trying to think why Chandra's story would surface now - if it was near an anniversary (of her disappearance or discovery of remains) it would make more sense than now.

Jane, a look at the woman's photo in the ModBee might tell us something. I live in a portion of Sacramento where there are a few strange people.

I will be moving soon to an area of Sacramento where there will probably be a few more strange people. I had an alcoholic neighbor who was not strange but just alcoholic. He was finally evicted from the apartment house complex because of his alcoholism. He had lived here about ten years. In all of that time it does not seem that the authorities ever gave him adequate treatment. Eviction seems to be simpler than treatment.

Many years back alcoholics could be sent to a work farm for about 90 days or more. That not only dried out the alcoholic--a little bit at least--but it also provided some of the food for the jail prisoners.

Is our civilization going forward, or backwards?

benn
fallout

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exceedingly strange RD. I just looked at Modbee's top five for today (March 6, 2006) and its all recent stories.

Is this top Five determined by the number of inquiries to the Modbee's website?

If so... There must have been some discussion of the story somewhere.

Was this about the time that the E network's Chandra story was being publicized on their website? That's the only public mention of it I can think of in the time frame of Feb. 1, 2006. Possible.

You don't think it was anything we were discussing here at that time, do ya?

What were we discussing then, by the way?...I'll go take a look.

Cheers,
James
rd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's based on hits on the article during the last hour, James. For anything but recent news, that means hits from search engines.

Definitely not discussion, at least nothing picked up by Google which picks up most everything. I think a person or two is doing some searching, maybe a book? I'm sure LE is not doing this.

I think with a name writer and some interviews with principals a publisher could be convinced to go with it, despite the industry policy on open cases. The interest is there, the story is there, and we have shown the truth is libel proof. I look forward to the next book on Chandra.

rd
fallout

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the discussions here. Nothing that would prompt anyone to google Chandra on that date aside from our usual interest.

Wednesday Feb. 1, 2006 was the day after Bush's State of the Union address. That couldn't be related though.

Maybe some people saw the picture up on the E website since it had been up for at least one week by that time and it jogged their curiosity.

How about our site here. Did we have any peak in outside visits that day?

James
rd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I saw. I don't think it was related to news, especially that article about Chandra being found. Pretty sure it's somebody or a collaborator or two doing some intensive searching on the case.

rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: