www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teresa Halbach-Oct.31-05 -WI- Updates 2016 Avery
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gozgals

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Teresa Halbach-Oct.31-05 -WI- Updates 2016 Avery Reply with quote

Teresa Halbach

Missing since Oct. 31, 2005

From Manitowoc, WI.

Car Located in Salvage yard

25 years old

Profession: Photographer- (mainly used cars as of late)

She is most likely at this point a victim of foul play. This story has many twists and turns. Please read for yourself and evaluate what you think your conclusions may be. Let us hope she is still alive, but it is not likely.

Some of the situations in this case are noted in Wisconsin due to the fact that one of the "suspects" well they are not actually calling him a "suspect" was the first person ever freed by the Innocence Project in Wisconsin after spending time in prison wrongly accused.

I will try to post this in some type of order by please pardon me - I have gathered information and it is not in order and my computer is not pulling things up correctly..

GG)
gozgals

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: T. Halbach Reply with quote

http://www.wisinfo.com/thereporter/news/archive/local_23264240.shtml

Posted Nov. 04, 2005

Police term woman’s disappearance ‘suspicious’

Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

CHILTON — Police in two counties are searching for a 25-year-old woman who disappeared Monday, and authorities say the disappearance is suspicious.

Sgt. Mark Wiegert of the Calumet County Sheriff's Department said Teresa Marie Halbach, who lives in the St. John area of Calumet County, was last seen Monday afternoon in Manitowoc.

He said the investigation "indicates it is out of character for her not to have contact with family or friends for this length of time."

Sheriff Jerry Pagel said her parents reported her missing about 4 p.m. Thursday, and said his department and police in Manitowoc County opened investigations immediately.

"This is behavior that is not normal for this young lady," Pagel said. "It's suspicious. Parents, friends, relatives, nobody has had any contact with her since the 31st (of October)."

He said she has no criminal, medical or mental history to make police believe she would have left on her own.

"She doesn't have any medical problems and isn't on any medication," Pagel said.

Pagel said Halbach works as a freelance photographer for auto dealers, and was last seen at an appointment in Manitowoc about 1:30 p.m. Monday.

He said police are trying to determine if she had any appointments after that, and if she showed up for them.

He said investigators would be checking today to see if there has been any activity in her financial records or credit cards.

Police said she was wearing blue jeans, a white button-down shirt and a summer jacket when she was last seen. She is described as 5-foot-6, 135 pounds with light brown hair and brown eyes.

She was driving a dark green 1999 Toyota Rav4 with a Wisconsin license SWH582.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Calumet County Sheriff's Department at 920-849-2335 or Calumet County Crimestoppers at 1-877-765-8327.

GG)
gozgals

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=4080260

Missing Woman's SUV Found at Salvage Yard
Missing Woman's Car Found in Avery Salvage Yard

Action 2 News

By Emily Matesic and Jason Zimmerman

The car belonging to a missing Calumet County woman was found on the property where she was last seen. Authorities announced they found it on Steven Avery's auto salvage just west of Mishicot on Highway 147.

The Calumet County district attorney isn't saying anything about the woman's status -- whether she's still missing or her body has been found.

Manitowoc and Calumet county district attorneys said they're involved in a joint investigation. The discovery came after investigators acted on a tip.

"We can tell you that in fact the vehicle of Ms. Halbach was found. We have obtained evidence, and theWisconsin State Crime Lab was called to the scene of Avery's Auto Salvage," Calumet County D.A. Ken Kratz said.

Saturday afternoon, the Manitowoc County Sheriff's Department blocked off part of Highway 147 between Maribel and Mishicot. It remained blocked off late Saturday night.

Halbach, 25, is a professional photographer. She was doing freelance work for Auto Trader in Manitowoc County last Monday when she was last seen.

Investigators told us Friday the last person to see Halbach before she disappeared was Steven Avery, and Avery told us Halbach came to take photographs of a van he was selling through Auto Trader. Avery served 18 years in prison for a rape and attempted murder he didn't commit, and his innocence was finally proven by DNA evidence.

The Manitowoc County Sheriff's Department set up its command post on Avery Road Saturday. Helicopters were seen hovering over the area, and search dogs were brought in.

Investigators expected to be there most of the night and through Sunday collecting evidence.

Police are not saying whether Avery is a suspect.

This news comes after Halbach's family and friends spent much of Saturday morning searching for her themselves.About 100 people showed up to look for any clue to her whereabouts.

The large group split up to cover more ground, searching wooded areas, knocking on doors, looking in Dumpsters. They said until someone does find Halbach they're hoping for the best.

"I'm not letting myself think that we're going to find something bad. My mind is so far removed from the fact that I might find my friend out here. I'm just trying to keep hope that she's okay," Kelly Pitzen expressed
gozgals

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Steve Avery Reply with quote

http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=4075903

Steven Avery, Wrongly Accused Prisoner, was Last to See Halbach Alive

Action 2 News

By Jeff Alexander

Manitowoc County investigators say the last person known to see Teresa Halbach last Monday was Steven Avery.

It's an ironic twist. Avery spent 18 years in prison for an attempted murder and sexual assault that he did not commit. He finally walked out of prison in September, 2003, after DNA testing proved he never should've been there in the first place.

Now, two years later, he again finds himself tied to a police investigation.

"I couldn't believe it," Avery said. "Once I saw the squad car up by my mom and dad, that's the first time I heard about it. I didn't like the news, somebody missing. That's not good," Avery said.

Avery told us Halbach was at his house for about five minutes Monday afternoon on an assignment for Auto Trader. He said she took a photo of a van he's trying to sell through the publication, then she drove off.

"Easy. Take a picture, collect the money, and say 'Hi,' and that's about it," Avery recalled.

Avery runs a salvage yard and said Halbach has taken a number of pictures of his cars over the past year. He describes her as a nice woman, nice to talk with.

He's praying she's found soon -- and safe -- and he can't believe he's involved in another police investigation.

GG)
gozgals

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Search Warrants Reply with quote

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/W/WI_MISSING_WOMAN_
WIOL-?SITE=WIMIL&SECTION=STATE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=
2005-11-05-21-07-59

Nov 7, 8:58 AM EST

Search warrants executed at Avery property in disappearance

MISHICOT, Wis. (AP) -- Search warrants were executed during the weekend after the vehicle of a 25-year-old woman missing since Oct. 31 was found at an auto salvage yard operated by the family of a man who served 18 years in prison for a rape he did not commit.

But Calumet County Sheriff Jerry Pagel, who is heading the investigation into the disappearance of Teresa Marie Halbach, said at a news conference Sunday that no one had been arrested or charged in the case.

"Everybody is a person of interest," he said. "Steven Avery is no more a person of interest than anybody else."

Avery was convicted of a 1985 sexual assault and exonerated by DNA evidence 18 years later.

Pagel said Avery has been cooperative with authorities.

Avery said in an interview with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he has nothing to hide.

His attorney, Walter Kelly, said he is confident that his client had nothing to do with the woman's disappearance.

Halbach, a freelance photographer for Auto Trader Magazine, had three appointments for the publication Oct. 31, the last day she was seen. One appointment was at Avery's. Pagel said law enforcement does not know which location was her last.

Pagel said that, as scores of friends and family searched Saturday for Halbach, a small group stopped at the Avery salvage yard west of Mishicot, got permission from a family member to look around and found the car.

The car and its contents are being analyzed by the State Crime Laboratory, he said. Pagel did not specify what, if anything, was found in the car.

Pagel said that, prior to the discovery of the vehicle, his department did not have probable cause to search the salvage yard.

Manitowoc County District Attorney Mark Rohrer obtained a search warrant Saturday to conduct an investigation of the property.

The investigation resumed Sunday morning and expanded with additional warrants, Pagel said. The sheriff declined to elaborate on the new warrants at the news conference except to say: "The search is concentrated on Avery's salvage yard and the area directly around the yard. And (it) will expand as needed."

Avery was at his father's vacation property near Crivitz with family members when Halbach's car was found on their property and the Marinette County Sheriffs Department searched the cabin Saturday and impounded Avery's car and a flatbed truck Sunday, he said in a phone interview with the Herald Times Reporter of Manitowoc.

Divers were called in Sunday from the Winnebago County Sheriff's Department to search ponds on the property, and Pagel said they will look at a few small ponds and one large one in the area.

Mike Halbach, the missing woman's brother, said finding the car has been a positive sign for her family.

"We are starting to get some answers," he said. "We are staying optimistic we are going to bring Teresa home safely."

GG)
peripeteia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Avery told us Halbach was at his house for about five minutes Monday afternoon on an assignment for Auto Trader. He said she took a photo of a van he's trying to sell through the publication, then she drove off."

"Pagel said that, as scores of friends and family searched Saturday for Halbach, a small group stopped at the Avery salvage yard west of Mishicot, got permission from a family member to look around and found the car. "

These two statements seem to contradict one another, how did she drive off if her car was still there, and obviously for a few days the car remained there, she went missing on a Thursday. It seems difficult to believe that he car remained unnoticed for three days by Avery. This does not look good for Avery.

It is possible that someone tried to frame Avery, who knows whom he might have pissed off during his stay in prison, he must have made some friends with some pretty unsavory characters. Odd if he murdered Halbach that he made no attempt to hide her car, this seems very odd.

We shall see what the detectives turn up in their investigation!?
gozgals

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Avery Task Force / and comments Reply with quote

http://www.truthinjustice.org/avery2.htm

Sorry I can't do pictures: use the link

Steve Avery

Original Lineup

Task Force Hears Testimony from Steven Avery

December 22, 2003

By Kathryn Bracho

He was wrongly convicted of attempted murder and rape, and spent 18 years in prison. Steven Avery's wrongful conviction is something the Wisconsin criminal justice system does not want to see again.

State officials organized a task force. Monday they heard testimony from Avery.

Avery is a man of few words, and speaking in front of a group of men in suits at the state Capitol was tough for him to do, he said. But he said he wanted them to know that something is wrong with the system.

"I want to figure out what's perfect."

Steven Avery knows all too well the justice system is not perfect. "All the way through, kept my hopes up, but nothing ever came through."

The victim picked Avery out of a lineup. The man now linked to that crime by DNA testing, Gregory Allen, was not part of that lineup.

Keith Findley of the Wisconsin Innocence Project, which helped arrange that DNA testing to win Avery's freedom, pointed to a photo of the police lineup. "Steven Avery was the shortest, the fairest of the group."

It's just one of many things that went wrong is his case.. that this committee wants to fix.

"What can we learn from a case like this?" they want to know.

The committee will look at issues like DNA testing, eye-witness testimony, and whether public defenders have enough resources to properly defend their clients.

Steven Avery says he lost a lot during his time in prison. "My family stuck around for a while, but it was hard, so then I told the old lady to leave."

But now that he's free, he's glad to be made an example of. "It feels good they're realizing that the justice system is broke."

The committee will make its recommendations to the Legislature in about a year.

One issue the committee did not discuss is increasing the amount of compensation Avery could get from the state for the time of his wrongful imprisonment. Right now that amount is capped at $25,000.

Representative Mark Gundrum (R-New Berlin), who helped organize the task force, says this is an issue the committee is not equipped to handle.

Back to Steve Avery
Truth in Justice

GG)-- Comments

I do not know what to make of this- Mr. Avery could be set up. Remember he was wrongly tried once...If I did not post the article, he had been visited by Teresa for over a year. Sometimes trusting the Police , well that is another thing. Also, after serving much time in prison, could he be bitter? That is to be considered. Can someone hate him so much they put her car there, and followed her there.

It is all up for the guess.

I can't be sure of anything. I remember reading of him, and I have to reserve any judgements. I know the man was cleared once, I would not want to harm pose an opinion yet. I feel let the investigation continue and hope it is honest!

Prayers for Teresa, her family and for him-- that he will not be taken down if he is set up. Praying the right person is charged when caught.

I am interested in what you all think on this subject. I watched the Innocent project. I only felt one man cleared seemed shaky and they had DNA..I don't know why..I don't know how this could have happened but one never knows..

GG) have a good day all.
peripeteia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a frame by the person now convicted of the murder that Avery served time for, who knows perhaps Avery and he were involved in the original rape, and the chap thinks that he was ratted out, who knows what goes on in the minds of a psychopath?

Personally I'd think that Avery would be bitter, how could he help not being bitter. It would be interesting to know how much the BOP had to pay Avery for his 18 years in prison. David Milligard (Canadian) was wrongfully accused of a rape/murder, and DNA evidence proved that the killer this woman/ Nurse was someone else, who is now in prison serving a life sentence. However, this crime occured in the 70's, this dude had allot of time on civy street. He was awarded a substaintial amount of money.

Perhpas also Avery has someone working at the yard, perhaps one of his prison buddies?

It is difficult to speculate with so little information. Her body should not be far from the yard, unless someone visiting abducted her and took her elsewere.
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate and ALL:

The news in this case is developing so quickly - I have just been saving the links. I have to try and figure out the best way to post them. Maybe I'll just post from Teresa's line which seems to have most of the articles on it-this way we can all catch up.

I have been following papers from WI too, and news/plus some evening shows. It is not looking good for Mr. Avery or his family members. As you stated: "I did not think he would be stupid enough to put this car on his own salvage lot!"

His past is not to clean either. He also has brothers. Maybe someone wanted the cash he might have collected from the state of WI, (a family member). He would have collected only the sum of $25,000 (I think) for being wrongly imprisoned, but has a lawsuit against the state for much more.

I have read the forgiveness statement from the lady that fingered him for rape, (he actually looked like the predator) which lead her to believe it was him. I have all links if needed. She met him after the predator was caught. He seems to have no resentment toward her. Of course, she feels awful and suffers much depression as she did after the rape and event.

Also, I read about the WI Innocence project. I won't go ahead and print most of that information but found some of this interesting. I will just try to update what is going on to date. This is just too much to grasp.

I'm really starting to believe it was not a prison buddy, or the LE wanting to set Steve up.

GG)
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Teresa's Website note- Reply with quote

http://www.teresahalbach.com/

A Message From the Family

Teresa's family would like to express our appreciation for all the thoughts, prayers, and support we have received and continue to receive throughout this difficult time. The number of people volunteering their time to put up posters, distribute flyers, and search on foot and by vehicle has been absolutely overwhelming. We owe all of you our utmost gratitude.

The family believes completely that Teresa will come home safely to us, and we will continue to believe this until we are told otherwise. We remain highly optimistic through what we have been hearing from authorities, and we hope that all of you have the same attitude as well.

Ultimately, our #1 goal is to find Teresa. The law enforcement personnel are committed to this task, and we support them fully. Without their help, we could not remain as strong as a family as we currently are. Through God's will, we strongly believe we will find the answers we are looking for. Please keep praying for a safe return home for Teresa.

God Bless You All.

-The Family of Teresa Halbach

GG)
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: News Articles and Links Reply with quote

http://www.teresahalbach.com/newsfeeds.html

Live YAHOO! NEWS Live GOOGLE NEWS
LOCAL NEWS from (Northwestern)
posted on November 10, 2005 08:43:51 am
Missing woman has wide circle of friends; is ‘fantastic’ with kids (WISinfo)
posted on November 09, 2005 09:34:59 am
Volunteers essential in search for Halbach (Green Bay Press-Gazette)
posted on November 09, 2005 09:23:39 am
Halbach case: Warrants seek evidence of homicide (WISinfo)
posted on November 09, 2005 09:34:49 am
Search Continues For Missing Woman (The Milwaukee Channel)
posted on November 08, 2005 09:37:49 pm
Green Bay ‘crew’ joins search for missing woman (Green Bay Press-Gazette)
posted on November 08, 2005 09:23:24 am
Wis. Man Charged With Weapons Violation (AP via Yahoo! News)
posted on November 10, 2005 03:42:48 am
New Evidence Uncovered In Case Of Missing Woman (WISN TheMilwaukeeChannel.com via Yahoo! News)
posted on November 09, 2005 06:29:00 pm
Search for missing Calumet Co. woman centers on salvage yard (Green Bay Press-Gazette)
posted on November 07, 2005 09:24:07 am
Wis. Man Exonerated on Rape Charge Held (AP via Yahoo! News)
posted on November 09, 2005 10:10:15 pm
TERESA HALBACH FAMILY SETS UP WEB SITE ON MISSING WOMAN - WAOW
posted on November 09, 2005 07:04:00 pm
Missing woman has wide circle of friends; is ‘fantastic’ with ... - Manitowoc Herald Times Reporter
posted on November 09, 2005 09:39:00 am
Missing woman, freed prisoner crossed paths - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (subscription)
posted on November 06, 2005 04:06:00 am
Wrongly-Convicted Wisconsin Man Last To See Missing Woman - Milwaukee Channel.com
posted on November 07, 2005 12:26:00 am
Volunteers essential in search for Halbach - Green Bay Press Gazette
posted on November 09, 2005 09:16:00 am
The brother of a missing woman said he believes she is alive, as ... - Duluth News Tribune
posted on November 08, 2005 12:59:00 pm
Missing woman's car found in junk lot - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (subscription)
posted on November 07, 2005 04:57:00 am
Search for missing Calumet Co. woman centers on salvage yard - Green Bay Press Gazette
posted on November 07, 2005 09:13:00 am
Salvage yard still focus of search - Manitowoc Herald Times Reporter
posted on November 07, 2005 09:31:00 am
Search on for missing woman - Sheboygan Press
posted on November 05, 2005 10:05:00 am
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/politics/13123865.htm

Posted on Wed, Nov. 09, 2005

Steven Avery charged with weapons violation

CARRIE ANTLFINGER

Associated Press

MISHICOT, Wis. - A man who was wrongly convicted of rape 20 years ago was charged with a weapons violation Wednesday by a special prosecutor investigating the disappearance of a woman whose vehicle was found on property owned by the man's family, according to court records.

Deputies found two guns in Steven Avery's trailer while searching for evidence in the disappearance of Teresa Halbach, whose vehicle was found at the Manitowoc County salvage yard owned by Avery's family, according to a criminal complaint charging him with being a felon in possession of a firearm.

The deputies also found 11 spent .22-caliber shell casings in Avery's unattached garage, the complaint said.

The shell casings and guns - a .22-caliber semiautomatic rifle and a .50-caliber black-powder muzzleloader - were found Sunday, a day after Halbach's family found her car, according to the complaint. Avery was taken into custody Wednesday.

Calumet County District Attorney Ken Kratz said the only connection the weapons have to Halbach's case is that deputies found them while searching for Halbach. He said he felt it was his duty to arrest Avery.

"I felt uncomfortable allowing that individual to remain on the street," said Kratz, who was appointed special prosecutor in the case because Avery is suing Manitowoc County over his wrongful conviction.

Calumet County Sheriff Jerry Pagel, who is leading the investigation into the disappearance, said deputies found significant evidence at the salvage yard, but he refused to say what evidence was found.

When asked whether investigators found human remains, Pagel said the crime lab is analyzing what its experts feel are "human in nature."

Kratz said authorities also ordered members of Avery's family to provide blood and saliva samples and palm and hand prints. They also were told to detail any wounds they may have.

Avery's attorney, Walt Kelly, said he thought deputies took Avery into custody so they could interview him about the missing woman.

"I fear ... that they will try to use his words against him," Kelly said.

Avery was convicted of burglary twice, in 1981 and 1982, in Manitowoc County, according to the complaint. He also was convicted of endangering safety and being a felon in possession of a firearm in another Manitowoc County case.

Halbach was last seen Oct. 31 when she had three appointments for Auto Trader Magazine, taking pictures of cars for sale. One stop was at the Avery salvage yard near Mishicot in Manitowoc County.

Avery, 43, has said Halbach took pictures of a minivan the family had for sale and left, apparently driving toward the interstate.

Halbach's family didn't hear from her for days, became alarmed and reported her missing Nov. 3. More than 100 volunteers joined law enforcement in the search.

On Saturday, family and friends found her green SUV at Avery's Auto Salvage. Since then, investigators have searched the 40-acre lot and the family's residences, seizing Avery's car and the salvage yard's flatbed truck.

Avery has said no one in his family could be responsible for Halbach's disappearance.

He fears Manitowoc County officials are after him because he filed a $36 million lawsuit against the county over his wrongful conviction.

Avery, who lives in the trailer near the salvage yard, was imprisoned in 1985 after a jury convicted him of sexual assault and a judge sentenced him to 32 years. He was freed after a law school group convinced a judge to allow new DNA testing, which linked the crime to another man already in prison for another sexual assault.

Halbach's brother, Mike Halbach, said Wednesday the family had a Web site, http://www.teresahalbach.com, to direct people who want to help in the search. He said family and friends were out again Wednesday searching near the salvage lot.

"We remain highly optimistic through what we have been hearing from authorities, and we hope that all of you have the same attitude as well," the Web site said. "Through God's will, we strongly believe we will find the answers we are looking for."

GG)
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sheboygan-press.com/apps/pbcs.d...E0101/311090001

Human remains found at salvage yard

November 9, 2005
By John Lee
Post-Crescent staff writer

Human remains have been found at a salvage yard where investigators have been searching for a missing Calumet County woman.

Authorities are not certain if the remains are those of Teresa Halbach, 25, Calumet County Sheriff Jerry Pagel said at a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

Earlier in the day, Steven Avery, whose family owns the salvage yard, was arrested on a weapons charge.

Avery’s attorney, Walt Kelly, told The Associated Press he did not think the weapon was related to the disappearance of Teresa Halbach, 25, whose sport utility vehicle was found Saturday at the salvage yard near Mishicot.

A criminal complaint filed in Manitowoc County accuses him of possession of a firearm by a felon.

Avery, 43, Mishicot, spent 18 years in prison on a sexual assault charge. He was released in 2003 after DNA evidence exonerated him.

The complaint, filed by a state Division of Criminal Investigation agent, stems from a search of Avery’s home Sunday at 12932 Avery Road, Two Rivers, according to Jeffrey Froehlich, an assistant district attorney for Calumet County.

The complaint said officers searching Avery’s home found a .22-caliber semiautomatic rifle and a .50-caliber blackpowder muzzleloader.

Mike Halbach, Teresa’s brother, told The Post-Crescent on Wednesday that Pagel informed his family Wednesday afternoon that Avery would be arrested. Halbach said the family did not have specifics, however.

Avery’s brother, Chuck Avery, said officers were taking his brother to the Calumet County Jail. Chuck Avery was being taken to a hospital by detectives for a DNA sample, he said.

Kelly said he feared that investigators are arresting Avery in order to pressure him into making statements about Halbach.

“This is looking more and more like a persecution not an even-handed investigation.”

Halbach, a photographer, was last seen Oct. 31 when she had three appointments for Auto Trader Magazine, taking pictures of cars for sale. One stop was at the Avery salvage yard where her vehicle was discovered by her family.

GG)
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: THE Lawyer speaks Reply with quote

http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=4097319

Avery's Lawyer Responds

-- Action 2 News

Steven Avery Arrested; Family to Submit DNA, Fingerprints

By Elizabeth Ries

By late Wednesday afternoon, Steven Avery's lawyer said he had no contact with his client since the arrest (see related story).

Action 2 News spoke with attorney Walt Kelly over the phone. He said he's talked with several officers, including Calumet County Sheriff Jerry Pagel, but police won't allow him to talk to or visit Avery.

"I've made repeated efforts, including a direct conversation with Sheriff Pagel, for my colleague Steve Glenn and I to be put directly in touch with Steven Avery and be allowed to visit and speak with him," Kelly said. "They've completely evaded that, and are holding him in some unknown location without making him available to us, which I think is completely out of line."

We're told Avery is now in the Calumet County jail facing a charge of being a felon in possession of a firearm after police found a rifle and muzzle-loader during the missing-person investigation. Avery is best-known for being wrongfully convicted and imprisoned for a 1985 rape, but before then he'd been convicted of burglary and other felonies.

Kelly said he's concerned about the reason for Avery's arrest and doesn't know if formal charges have been filed.

"Since Steven was exonerated of the felonies involved in the Penny Bernsten matter, that's another thing we really wonder is if they have any lawful basis to have made the arrest in the first place."

Kelly maintains his client had nothing to do with Teresa Halbach's disappearance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

COMMENTS: What do you think everyone?

GG)
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Body Found on Avery's Property- Breaking News Reply with quote

Blessings to Teresa's Family and may she rest in peace.

Breaking News I just saw on 12 Alive Milwaukee News

Her family held a private pray service for her.

The DNA is not identified yet, but they are pretty sure it is her they found.

8 members of Avery's family gave DNA to the police yesterday, and Steve
Avery is still being held in the County Jail.

The body was found near his trailer (see story below).

Her car keys were found in HIS Bedroom.

There was an attempt to dispose of the body that was stopped.
She has been missing since Oct. 31, 05.

http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/news/5289625/detail.html

Steven Avery Arrested On Weapons Charge

UPDATED: 3:07 pm CST November 10, 2005

Email This Story | Print This Story

MISHICOT, Wis. -- The Calumet County Sheriff's Department says the case of a missing woman is now classified as a homicide investigation.

Calumet County Sheriff Jerry Pagel said this afternoon that female adult bones were found on the Avery family property, along with human teeth. The remains are being analyzed for identification.

Pagel said there was an attempt to dispose of a body by "incendiary means." He said that attempt was not completely successful.

The sheriff also said that a lot of blood was discovered in Teresa Halbach's vehicle, and there was blood on the Avery property and in buildings on the land.

Avery is the man who spent 18 years in prison before DNA exonerated him in a sexual assault case.

Halbach disappeared on Halloween. Authorities believe Avery was the last person to see her alive.

The family of a missing Calumet County woman said Thursday it has been told not to search for Teresa Halbach.

Teresa's brother, Mike Halbach, said Pagel told them he didn't need them to search.

Mike Halbach said investigators also gave them more information about the case, but told them not to talk about it publicly until a law enforcement news conference was over later Thursday.

The road to the Avery family property at Mishicot remains blocked off as it has been for days.

"There have been better times in our lives," Mike Halbach said.

Authorities arrested Avery on Wednesday on a weapons charge. Police found two guns in the bedroom of his trailer.

Officials also ordered Avery and seven of his family members to provide DNA samples as part of the investigation.

WISN 12 News reporter Colleen Henry will have live reports on "12 News at 5:00 and 6:00."

Previous Stories:
November 9, 2005: New Evidence Uncovered In Case Of Missing Woman
November 7, 2005: Wrongly Convicted Wisconsin Man Last To See Missing Woman

Last edited by gozgals on Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Jennifer Kesse and similar disappearances All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: