www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monica Lozada missing in NY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Monica Lozada missing in NY Reply with quote

You'd have to be made out of stone to not have tears in your eyes listening to four year old Valery Lozada tell of her mother's boyfriend Cesar taking her out of bed in the middle of the night and putting her out of the car barefoot on a cold New York City street, abandoning her, leaving her searching the streets crying looking for her mommy. Just absolutely unbelievable.

But her mother has disappeared. Cesar is said to be telling police he took them to the airport to fly back to Bolivia. Who would believe a little four year old girl?

Anyone who heard that precious child speak.

rd

www.nytimes.com

Authorities Are Trying to Find Parents of Girl Found in Queens
By MICHELLE O'DONNELL
Published: September 30, 2005

A pigtailed 4-year-old girl was discovered wandering barefoot on a Queens street early Sunday morning, officials said yesterday as they appealed for anyone who knows her to come forward.

The girl, who said her name was Valerie, was taken to Elmhurst Hospital Center, where doctors said she was in good condition, then to Little Flower Children's Services in Jamaica and to a foster home in Queens, according to the Administration for Children's Services.

Valerie speaks English and Spanish, and told reporters yesterday that her mother's name is Monica, her father is Cesar, and her cat is Gary. She said that she had another father, Felipe.

The girl said her mother looked "like a princess" and worked as a cook. She said something is wrong with her mother's tooth or cheek, making it hard for her to talk.

"You can see she's well cared-for," her foster mother said yesterday, as Valerie played with a teddy bear.

The authorities did not release the foster mother's name, to protect the girl's welfare.

Valerie said that she had been sleeping when Cesar took her from the family's apartment, in a city she cannot name, late at night without shoes. After that, her narrative becomes murky until she was found on 76th Street in Middle Village.

Anyone with information about Valerie or the whereabouts of her parents is asked to call Crimestoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (1-800-577-8477).
rd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.nytimes.com (fair use)

Mystery of Unclaimed Girl, 4, Is Now Case of Missing Mother
By FERNANDA SANTOS
Published: October 1, 2005

Monica Lozada, mother of Valery, missing

Her name is Valery Belén Saavedra Lozada, and she has eyes as dark as black pearls. She is 4 years old, has a cat named Gary and knows to brush her teeth in the morning. She speaks English and Spanish, loves pizza, hates pickles and says she does not know why the man she calls her father woke her up one night, drove her to a dark street and left her there, alone and barefoot.

She was found on a tidy block in Middle Village, Queens, in the 1 a.m. coolness on Sunday by several people who were drawn by her cries.

Kevin Flood, a firefighter, rushed to the phone and called 911. Branko Petrovic stood on the sidewalk, stumped, not believing his eyes. Georgina Visacki wrapped Valery in a blanket and took the girl in her arms.

Four days later, with no one coming forward to claim the little girl, the city's Administration for Children's Services took this extraordinary step: It made her available to the cameras, in hopes that her beautiful face and sweet demeanor would spur someone out there, in a city of 8 million, to come forward with a clue.

One television station let the tape of the girl run for minutes, an eternity on the evening news.

The tactic worked. More than 100 calls came in yesterday, leading the police to a break in the case - though not the one they had been hoping for. Investigators picked up the trail of a man who lived with Valery and her mother, and soon after they approached him they declared the mother missing.

The little girl was too well cared for to have been abandoned, investigators said, so they were forced to face the possibility of the darkest resolution for this mystery, that Valery's mother is dead.

"It looks like this is going to turn into a homicide investigation," said a police official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is continuing. Putting the girl on television jump-started the case. The child welfare agency's director of communications, Sharman Stein, said the decision to let Valery talk was based on a sense of urgency - and the feeling that Valery would be her own best advertisement.

"She was obviously a kid that was cared for, but no one had come forward, not a mother, not an aunt, not a grandmother," Ms. Stein said. "Three days passed, and that is a long time in the life of a kid. So I wanted to get her face out to as many people as possible."

While she was on camera, Valery, without knowing it, gave clues to those trying to unlock the secrets she carried. She said her mother "looks like a princess," works where "people sit down and eat the food," and had something wrong with her face.

A dozen tips led the police to the man Valery calls father, Cesar Ascarrunz. Investigators picked him up late on Thursday at his apartment.

He was reluctant to talk at first, but eventually he began to share some information about Valery and her mother, Monica Rivadinerra Lozada, a police spokesman said. The spokesman called Mr. Ascarrunz "a person of interest" but said last night that he was not under arrest.

The three lived in an apartment on 66th Avenue in Rego Park, Queens, in a complex of short brick buildings on a quiet cul-de-sac.

Ms. Lozada is 5 feet 6 inches tall, weighs 105 pounds and has long hair, which she dyed blond, the police said. She is Bolivian, as are Valery and Mr. Ascarrunz, who is not Valery's biological father. Ms. Lozada has a scar on her left knee and a blue bird tattooed over her navel, and her face may be swollen because she had some teeth extracted just last week, the police said - apparently the facial mark the little girl referred to.

A neighbor saw Ms. Lozada at the Rego Park building on Saturday, but according to investigators she hasn't been seen since. The police released a photograph of the vibrant young woman. Based on the girl's remarks, the police believe the woman works in a restaurant, investigators said. Miguel Gonzalez, a handyman at the apartment complex, said that Mr. Ascarrunz, Ms. Lozada and Valery had moved in about a year ago, and that Valery had often played in the courtyard with other children.

Mr. Ascarrunz has two sisters who live in Forest Hills. Last night, the women, who refused to give their names, said he was not a violent man. They said he received a medical degree in Bolivia before coming to the United States a year and a half ago. They said Ms. Lozada had recently moved out of the Rego Park apartment. "That's why he didn't report her missing," one sister said.

The police said they have concluded that Mr. Ascarrunz, after rousing Valery from sleep and putting her in the car, had stopped early Sunday at the corner of 76th Street and Penelope Avenue. He asked Valery to go knock on the door of a house halfway down the street.

It is a block of well-appointed row houses in a working-class neighborhood surrounded by three cemeteries and a park.

Valery walked by a home with a four-foot plastic slide on its front yard, by the newly planted pear trees, past 14 doors, until she stopped outside 63-52 76th Street and knocked. No one answered.

At that moment, Mrs. Visacki, who lives across the street, walked into her living room and heard Valery's sobs. She looked out the window and saw the girl standing outside, clad in baby blue sleeping shorts and a shirt, but she thought an adult was somewhere nearby. A minute went by, though, and Valery was still there, so Mrs. Visacki ran outside in her pajamas to help the girl.

"She turned around and came toward me. She was shaking, and I started shaking, too," Mrs. Visacki, 50, said. "She was crying. She was saying, 'My mommy, my mommy,' and I asked her what was her mommy's name, but the only thing she told me was that her father's name was Cesar and that he had left her on the street."

Soon a cluster of neighbors had gathered around the girl, who looked scared and cold but was clean and appeared to be in good physical shape, Mrs. Visacki said. A neighbor brought Valery a pair of socks and a zippered fleece jacket. Then a police car showed up and took her to Elmhurst Hospital Center.

The city agency never had dealings with Valery's family, Ms. Stein said. Valery's foster mother told a caseworker that the girl seemed quiet and settled, though she was upset because she missed her mom.

"I just pray to God that her mother is O.K.," said Mr. Petrovic, 39, who lives on the street where Valery was found and gave her a toothbrush, a comb and some toys he had set aside to send to victims of Hurricane Katrina. "Me and my wife have been very shaken all this week. She is such a sweet little girl."

Leslie Kaufman, Colin Moynihan and Matthew Sweeney contributed reporting for this article.
rd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monica was thrown in the trash, left on a street corner in Queens, presumably in a landfill now. The boyfriend confessed to murder, says it was self defense as she lunged at him witha knife.

I am thankful he didn't murder little Valery as well.

It is all too apparent now that throwing women away in the trash makes them disappear all too well.

rd
laskipper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found an article rd- as you say, he dumped her in the trash in Queens:

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/ny-bc-ny--girlunclaimed1001oct01,0,3493217.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

Murder charge filed as search continues for missing mom of little girl

By NAHAL TOOSI
Associated Press Writer

October 1, 2005, 10:08 PM EDT

NEW YORK -- A Queens man was charged Saturday with choking his live-in girlfriend to death in their apartment, the latest twist in a weeklong mystery that began when the slain woman's 4-year-old daughter was found wandering barefoot and alone in the middle of the night, authorities said.

Cesar Ascarrunz, 32, was arrested on murder charges two days after he was picked up by investigators, police said. The defendant allegedly confessed to the crime, and acknowledged putting his girlfriend's body into a trash bag and dumping it on a corner in Queens.

Police were still searching Saturday for the remains of Monica Lozada-Rivaineira, 26, who was last seen alive on Sept. 24.

Investigators were led to Ascarrunz by a dozen tips that came in from the public after 4-year-old Valery Lozada appeared on television Thursday, describing her mother as looking "like a princess." The little girl remained in a foster home Saturday.

"This child has captured the hearts of all New Yorkers," said Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown. "I hope she can grow up to lead a normal life."

Valery was asking to see her mother, but authorities were waiting to break the tragic news to the child, said John Mattingly, commissioner of the city Administration for Children's Services. Dozens of New Yorkers have already volunteered to adopt the girl, he said.

"This little girl is as strong and capable and bright as she can be because of her mother," Mattingly said. "It makes us hopeful for the future...that she will in the long run do well."

City officials were trying to contact family members and have already reached a female cousin of her mother's in New York, Mattingly said.

Ascarrunz, who lived with the mother and daughter in an apartment in the Rego Park section of Queens, abandoned the girl in the middle of the night after the slaying, Brown said.

In addition to the murder charge, Ascarrunz was charged with reckless endangerment, endangering the welfare of a child, and child abandonment, Brown said. He was additionally accused of evidence tampering for dumping the body.

Ascarrunz faces 25 years to life on the murder count. Brown planned to ask for no bail when the defendant was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court.

Ascarrunz told investigators he was arguing with Lozada-Rivaineira about her staying out late and the way she was raising her child, according to a law enforcement official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the information had not yet been made public.

According to a criminal complaint, on Sept. 24 Ascarrunz choked Lozada-Rivaineira to death in their apartment, put her body in a plastic bag and left it in the living room for two days.

On Sept. 26, he took her body from the apartment and dumped it in a pile of trash on a Queens street corner, the criminal complaint said.

Investigators executing a search warrant found traces of blood throughout the apartment, the complaint said. Ascarrunz told investigators that he had cut Lozada-Rivaineira's throat in an effort to revive her after choking her, it said.

SNIP*********

Sad story. The boyfriend wants to adopt the little girl. He met Monica in a bar about 6 weeks ago.

No doubt the reason she is dead.
jane

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ascarrunz told investigators he was arguing with Lozada-Rivaineira about her staying out late and the way she was raising her child....Ascarrunz told investigators that he had cut Lozada-Rivaineira's throat in an effort to revive her after choking her, it said.

Ascarrunz was 'concerned' about how little Valery was being raised, then sets her loose in New York City? He chokes the child's mother and then 'tries to revive' her by cutting her throat? What a piece of work this guy is.
laskipper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have but to look at his picture and then at the picture of Monica to see the problem.

I read that he was taking a test to get his license in the States- he was evidently a doctor in Bolivia. The pressure of the testing- I read it was a 3 day deal, was probably what sent him over the edge. That, or maybe he felt he was doing poorly on the tests?

More likely the combination of the stress of the testing and the realization that Monica may have found someone new.

Obvious that he didn't have the little girls' best interests in mind.
rd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very similar to Lori Hocking's murder in many aspects. Slit her throat? Let's see.

"I held her too tight in a chokehold in self defense because she lunged at me with a knife, then I slit her throat to revive her. Then I drove her little girl out in the middle of night and dumped her on a street because I care more for her than her mother did."

Yeah, this guy is a piece of work. If they ever let him out of jail it should be to air drop back into Bolivia. Without a parachute.

rd
rd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a day that Talor Behl was found in a shallow grave off a path in the woods in Virginia, Monica Lozada was found in a landfill in New York. The murderers of both of these young women are in custody.

There are still some young women missing, still some who were found whose murderers are not in custody.

The sun sets on another day of selfish murder, and unfulfilled life.

rd
peripeteia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story does not ring true, as giving someone a trachyotomy to open their air way, one would not slit a persons throat, also, if she was dead, there would be little blood from making a pen quarter incision in her throat, thus if he was trying to open her airway, there would have been very little blood. The Police have her body and the autopsy report will reveal what happened. Did I understand that he wants to adopt the child, did I read this correctl?!! Or is there another boyfriend?

They meet 6 weeks ago, and the -------is tell people when to come in and what he likes and dislikes, so strongly that he is choking people and slitting their throat. In 6 weeks one hardly knows another person, like who bloody died and appointed him KING, JUDGE, JURY and EXECUTIONER?!

My guess he has hurt others, your typical woman beater...control freak!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: