www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freedom of Information for a murder case

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Freedom of Information for a murder case Reply with quote

I saw a few minutes of an A&E show on a murder case. The police accused the victim's son publically but wouldn't show why. The prosecutor had evidence that he was elsewhere at the time his mother was murdered but didn't tell anyone, instead asking for the son to be convicted of murder.

When the source of the information let it be known, the public was outraged and judges dismissed the murder charge. The police still insisted he was guilty based on secret evidence.

What caught my attention was that the son filed a Freedom of Information Act claim to force the police to reveal what information they had on the crime. After two years, a judge ordered the police to release the information to the public.

In Chandra's case, I think it's the family's business as to whether they are satisfied with what they know about the investigation or whether the police should be ordered to disclose what they have found, but it is encouraging to know that a party to the investigation can force the police to disclose whether they are serving the victim or political powers.

rd
gozgals

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In Chandra's case, I think it's the family's business as to whether they are satisfied with what they know about the investigation or whether the police should be ordered to disclose what they have found, but it is encouraging to know that a party to the investigation can force the police to disclose whether they are serving the victim or political powers.

rd: I totally agree with you and the method the young man used in his case. Why should this information be blocked. I think Chandra's family or any of those that have the interest and are parties to the investigation should force this information.

If it is to be disclosed, well it should be out there and available. Wonder if it is different because of this type of case and the Wall goes up...?

I know the blue wall use to come up in cases and we see that the tides are turning.

----It brings to mind Lawrencia Bembenek, (WI Police Officer) whom I really think got the screws. The whole story is so sad.

But Yes, I feel the information should be given out. The same with Mr. Murray requesting his family having full disclosure to all on their case. I'm not sure if they got it so I can't be quoted.

Good day to you rd.

GG)
peripeteia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd: Is it possible in the United States to file a freedom to information say regarding Chandra's case, that could be filed by a private individual, surely this privledge is not limited to the family?

For example, the data from the Jon Benett case can be found on line, the ransom letter, analysis of Patsy's and John's hand writing and tons of other information.

Why has not the information on Chandra not been made public? There is great confusion regarding the dates and times of the phone calls, this would be most helpful.

Any comments?

Kate
rd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that people that care about Chandra's case should defer to the family in some respect, in the sense that if they think they have enough information and they are satisfied all jurisditions are doing what they can for their daughter then if it's good enough for them, it should be good enough for everyone else.

It's difficult for me to think that that's their opinion, but given that they defer everything to a lawyer and don't comment and he doesn't comment, then certainly they've taken no public action that indicates otherwise.

In other words, I think law enforcement is accountable to the family of a victim for answers, and a response that we'll answer the phone if somebody calls up and confesses isn't acceptable. But I think it's the family's business, but for that matter law enforcement isn't going to answer to anyone, family or press or anyone else.

I think they should be pressed with a Freedom of Information lawsuit to at least force the issue of what they have done and not done, but I think that someone has to have some bearing in the case to ask for it, that being either the family or the local press.

But maybe the family thinks that would jeapordize any chance of the DC police or FBI ever doing anything again, I don't know. At some degree of coldness one has to think that something is needed to force answers to questions that won't be asked.

rd
peripeteia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is curious how this works in the States, for example, I'm sure the Ramsey's did not wish the information to be public about their daughter and information to show them in a bad light, so who decided this should be public information? It is confusing.

I can certainly appreciate that certain things the Levy's might not want to be made public, but such things as times of phone calls, more details on Chandra's internet search before she disappeared, the bureau of Prisons dismissing Chandra, the hiring of Chandra those types of things?

I can hardly think/believe/imagin for a moment that the Levy's are satisfied with the investigation and handling of Chandra disappearance.

I personally if a citizen of the US would want to know why a congressman, an elected official, did not have to appear before the grand jury when called, this most definately should be made public! We here in Canada could demand a public enquiry regarding this matter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: