www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Track offenders with GPS recorders!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Murder on a Horse Trail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Track offenders with GPS recorders! Reply with quote

The officer who referred to Jessica's abductor and murderer as a piece of trash was certainly correct. The relatives who failed to inform police when he confessed to them about having committed a crime are trash also - thankfully, they are being charged with obstruction of justice. The perp's half-sister must have noticed him burying something under the steps of her trailer. This piece of trash, as he has been called, was a known sex offender living across the road from the innocent 9-year-old victim. What is it going to take to make society decide to protect the innocent from repeat sex offenders?
rd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jane, as I write in Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy, these violent criminals must be monitored with GPS tracking devices. This guy was just like the guy in Tampa who killed little Carlie Brucia there a year ago [see Car wash surveillance camera catches kidnapping on tape]. These guys are nailed time and again, including sex offenses, then put in prison, then released early to strike again.

This guy molested a young girl when breaking into a house, and got a ten year sentence. He was paroled and released after two years. Now we have a young dead girl that we have failed to protect from trash such as this.

We won't keep them in prison to serve their sentences, and we won't attach a monitoring device to record where they've been so they know we know what they're doing.

And so we lose innocent people because we don't. Sheep also lose their lambs to such predators. Are we sheep to be slaughtered by predators, or will we protect ourselves?

The answer so far is no, we will not protect ourselves, we are sheep to be slaughtered. We allowed this predator to strike again. May Jessica Lunsford's soul rest in peace. She deserved more.

rd

click to read the online true crime mystery novel Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy

www.justiceforchandra.com home page
rd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jessica's dad has something to say that should be listened to and acted on, at the bottom. Maybe someday.

rd

from www.cnn.com (fair use)

Judge: Florida girl's killing 'beyond words'
CNN
March 22, 2005

LECANTO, Florida (CNN) -- John Evander Couey made his first appearance in court Tuesday on charges of murdering 9-year-old Jessica Marie Lunsford, with the judge telling the 46-year-old his alleged crimes are "beyond words."

Couey, with his hands cuffed, appeared via video link before Citrus County Judge Mark Yerman, who was in Inverness, the county seat.

Couey was charged Monday with capital murder, burglary with battery, kidnapping and sexual battery on a child less than 12 years of age.

Authorities found Jessica's body Saturday, buried behind the home of Couey's half sister in Homosassa, north of Tampa.

Couey will be asked to enter a plea at his arraignment scheduled for April 11. The judge said Tuesday's court appearance was to advise Couey of the charges, advise him of his rights and inform him that bond was denied.

"This is an infamous case here," Yerman said. "The acts that you are accused of and apparently confessed to are really beyond words."

Yerman asked Couey if he needed a public defender.

"Yeah, I need one; yes, sir," Couey said.

Couey replied "No, sir," when asked if he had any income and any assets.

Couey -- a convicted sex offender with a 30-year criminal history -- is being held at the Citrus County jail, away from the general inmate population for his own safety.

"If we could just, for one day, use the electric chair, I would like that," Jessica's father, Mark Lunsford said. "Somebody needs to kill him."

Jessica Lunsford was asphyxiated, a medical examiner's report said Monday.

Mark Lunsford said there will be a private family funeral on Thursday, followed by another service on Friday for family and friends. He said a public memorial service will be Saturday at 1 p.m. at Seven Rivers Presbyterian Church in Crystal River.

Couey made a court appearance Sunday on two other charges -- failure to comply with sex-offender registration requirements and a probation violation.

Police say he has confessed to abducting, killing and burying Jessica.

"I don't believe everything he has told us," Citrus County Sheriff Jim Dawsy said Monday. "I think he was in a drug-induced haze for a portion of the time.

"We may never have a true timeline," he said. "There were two people that knew -- Jessica, who's gone, and this individual, Couey, and because of his state with drugs, he was all over the place."

The sheriff and other sources said the suspect entered the house during the night of February 23, made his way to Jessica's room, covered her mouth, ordered her to remain quiet and forced her to leave.

"There was no forced entry. The residence was unsecured," Dawsy said of the home where Jessica lived with her grandparents and father.

Couey may have held her captive for a day or two, investigators said.

Investigators awaited results of a test on evidence from the home where Couey was staying, and officials have informed the girl's family about the details surrounding Jessica's death.

"Actually, it was a relief because I don't have to wonder," said Mark Lunsford.

He said he is spearheading an effort to change the law to keep repeat sexual offenders incarcerated. "There should be a law for Jesse," Lunsford said.

CNN's Sara Dorsey contributed to this report.
jane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jessica's dad has a good idea there - let's hope this will be carried out. We need this everywhere, as the same thing happens all over the place - over and over again.

Couey made a court appearance Sunday on two other charges -- failure to comply with sex-offender registration requirements and a probation violation.

Well isn't it just shocking that the most irreponsible, selfish creeps in the world prove to be unreliable when it comes to compliance with registration and probation requirements! Hmm - maybe we should consider that possibly these people just aren't trustworthy - just a thought.
rd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also in the Tampa area was another little girl recently abducted and murdered. I wrote of it in Murder on a Horse Trail. In it I ask that we act, lest another lamb be slaughtered.

We didn't act, and we lost another one. Jessica Lunsford and Carlie Brucia deserved better. I will quote what I wrote concerning how we must deal with sex offenders and other violent felons once they are released after serving their full sentence. From chapter Guandique:

Let there be no doubt. How dangerous? A man in Minnesota served 23
years for stabbing and trying to kidnap a woman, this with a previous
conviction of rape. Did he spend 23 years thinking of ways he could make
amends to his fellow citizens once he was released? No. He apparently
spent 23 years figuring out better ways to get away with rape and murder.
He was out only seven months before kidnapping Dru Sjodin, 22, from a
North Dakota mall parking lot. She has still not been found as of this
writing.

A man in Florida was arrested 13 times in 10 years, including kidnapping
and false imprisonment charges. On probation, but roaming around
looking for prey. A video surveillance camera caught him kidnapping 11
year old Carlie Brucia walking through a car wash parking lot. I think a
little bit of life got sucked out of this country when we saw the evil of a
man kidnapping a little girl walking home. I know it did from me. And our
hearts sank further when she was found behind a church on a nearby
highway.

Both men that killed Dru Sjodin and Carlie Brucia had been charged with
assault earlier where the women got away. So now has Guandique.
Guandique was sentenced to 10 years in prison. Will he or other men who
attack women kidnap a woman and make her disappear when they get out
of prison like these men did? Do we dare let these predators roam free
unmonitored to find out?

And from chapter Missing Woman:

Just as tragic is that two years after Chandra disappeared, police were
still interested in investigating several dozen sex offenders. There are too
many to investigate. We cannot continue to tolerate defense lawyers
saying everyone is innocent because so many could be guilty.

Convicted felons should be monitored until they have completed
probation. It makes no sense to think they don't. Until we put an electronic
monitoring system in place, we will continue to lose innocent women to
predators, predators that have already been caught time and again on
lesser offenses and are on parole. These are the people that must be
watched, not the entire population or children.

There are several technologies already in place and being used, if we
can get to a point in our society of deciding which approach to use we will
have achieved something great. If we use more than one of these
technologies it has to be part of a unified national system is my only
requirement.

The minimum requirement is that it records GPS locations of the
person's whereabouts and is periodically uploaded to police. What this
does is eliminate the anonymous roaming of the wolves to strike at will on
a stray lamb without anyone knowing who could have done it. The GPS
locations recorded will show who was at the location. GPS locations are
accurate to a few yards.

The recording doesn't stop an abduction, but it ensures that we can tell
who was there. If the device is removed or broken without coming in to a
police station to report it, then that is the same as breaking out of jail. It
means immediate return to incarceration.

If felons know that they cannot get away anonymously with a crime,
then it changes their entire psychology. Sure, someone could go berserk,
break the device and kill someone, but they know they will not get away
with it. Now these felons think they will get away with it.

I say probation instead of life because the length of probation is based
on the severity of crime. Registered sex offenders would be life, for
example, as that is a type of permanent probation. But if someone had a
five year probation and didn't commit another crime, then we need to
focus our attention on those who are committing crimes.

The criminals, drug addicts, sex predators, wolves roaming to strike,
have stolen goodness from our live's story and replaced it with fear. We
need to drop them in cages in the desert, and replace our fear with their
fear. Drop food in. Give them a treadmill, although they don't deserve to
be treated as well as hamsters.

Women are dead basically because we don't have enough cages for
these thugs. Our message to the legal system should be, catch all you
want, we'll build more cages.

Pipe sea water into the desert and convert it to fresh water, put solar
arrays on top of the cages to shade and power the cages. Who cares if
someone gnaws through a bar, the dogs need a workout occasionally
anyway.

Once out of their cages, I think Homeland Security has to include
monitoring sex offenders and people on parole. They will strike like wolves
at a lamb any chance they get. It's either the wolves or the lambs that
need constant monitoring, we have to make a choice.

Maybe a little girl's impending death caught on tape will do it. Something
must move us to act. Surely we cannot wait for the wolves to strike aqain.

But we did wait, and another lamb is lost. Losing Carlie Brucia wasn't enough to keep these men in jail when they're caught, and keep tracking them when they're back out on probation. Maybe losing Jessica Lunsford won't be enough to do it either.

But how many more little girls and women must be kidnapped and murdered before we do?

rd
author, Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy
rd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another day, another little girl murdered by a sex offender. Requiring felons on probation to wear GPS recording devices saves us money and would stop this horrendous cycle of death when felons know that we know where they are.

Yet we don't have to spend money tracking them, just require them to wear a recorder and the parole officer or police to unload to a computer when they make their required visits.

When a crime has occurred, just type the coordinates in and the time range and you get every felon who was there. It's that simple. No more armies of investigators needed trying to track down all these scum and confirm their alibis, most of whom are from other scum just like them.

Just check the recorded data and see who was there, and just as important, who wasn't.

The inability of the DC police to investigate the sex offenders in the DC area in Chandra's case prompted me to propose a solution in Murder on a Horse Trail. Since then we have lost a lot of innocent young lives to sex offenders.

There is no excuse for not doing this. It will save money, and innocent lives.

rd

from www.cnn.com (fair use)

Body found, Amber Alert cancelled
Man questioned in girl's disappearance

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) -- Police are investigating whether a body found Friday is that of a 10-year-old girl who authorities said vanished with a registered sex offender.

Cedar Rapids police canceled an Amber Alert for Jetseta Marie Gage after the body was found in rural Johnson County but said a positive identification of the body had not been made. Police did not say if it was the body of a child.

Police say the suspect Roger Paul Bentley, 37, a family acquaintance, and his vehicle were found in Johnson County at 7 a.m. Friday and placed into police custody. He is accused of taking Jetseta from her mother's house in nearby Cedar Rapids Thursday night.

Bentley is registered as an Iowa Sex Offender and was convicted in 1994 for lascivious acts with a child.

No charges have been filed so far.

Telephone messages left Friday for officials with the Johnson County sheriff's department were not immediately returned.

Police said Bentley was working on the van of Jetseta's mother, Trena Gage, Thursday night before disappearing with the child.

Gage, who was away at the time taking a college course, said her 7-year-old son saw Bentley leave in his pickup with Jetseta. The children's grandmother also was at home.

"I'm distraught. I'm just praying," she told The (Cedar Rapids) Gazette. "I just want her home."

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press
benn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Track offenders with GPS recorders! Reply with quote

jane wrote:
The officer who referred to Jessica's abductor and murderer as a piece of trash was certainly correct. The relatives who failed to inform police when he confessed to them about having committed a crime are trash also - thankfully, they are being charged with obstruction of justice. The perp's half-sister must have noticed him burying something under the steps of her trailer. This piece of trash, as he has been called, was a known sex offender living across the road from the innocent 9-year-old victim. What is it going to take to make society decide to protect the innocent from repeat sex offenders?

jane, it is going to take social and political action of some kind to get better sex offender laws. That means joining organizations or political cauceses. What the lawmakers understand is votes, and if you can get them votes they might listen to you, or to me, or anyone else on the board here. Also if a lawmaker thinks that for some reason he is going to lose votes then he/she will listen also and possibly take affirmative action.

Calling these sex offenders "trash" really does no good at all. Calling them trash does not improve the situation, maybe it makes us feel better or superior, but only Jesus can wash away our own sins, not some criminal whom we call trash.

One thing wrong with our laws is the moral fiber of the society. We are becomming more and more a Godless nation. Many who go to church and call themselves Christians do not really believe in the church they pretend to believe in. Church to many is another social club. Church to many has really nothing to do with God. Even though a person is murdered, his/her life shortened by a criminal, we should be more concerned with where the victim went after death. If more people were concerned with the afterlife instead of just the material things we have on this earth we might have better laws and fewer murders.

Rejoice always, Praise God, In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

We should also be concerned with the souls of the people who are committing these sex offenses. As King Solomon said 3000 years ago, "Train up a child in the way that he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it."

Parents are not bringing up their children right. Just calling someone trash is not going to solve the problem.

jane, you are a school teacher, maybe you could tell us a little of what condiditons in schools are like. Of course I guess you only see the particular types of schools that are in your district of Canada. The children have to be brought up so that they do not become "trash."

God Bless,
benn
benn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd, in my world there would be very little need for GPS locators. Probably a good portion of the sex offenders should not get out of prison again. If they did they should wear the locators.

I still think some of our justice system back in the 1950s would stop a lot of this present crime. I keep going back to the Abbott case of the 1950s, where Burton Abbott, a college student in his late twenties murdered Stephanie Bryan, a highschool student. They had became acquainted in a coffee shop, and both of them liked paraquets.

From the time of the murder until Abbott's execution was about three years. That type of a criminal system would slow down some of our present day criminals. At his trial some University students were sort of rooting for Abbott, even though he was guilty from start to finish.

A lot of money could be saved by not having to buy so many locators with a 50s justice system.

All offenders do not have previous records, and they can kill and injure a lot of people before they ever get caught to get a locator strapped on them. I don't know all of this next guy's profile, but the profiler found out that he was a stutterer, and had been heckled in his youth.

..>>I found this to be true when, in 1980, I was called in to profile the "Trailside Killer" in San Francisco. Between August 1979 and November 1980, he'd killed seven people in Mount Tamalpais and Point Reyes parks -- six women and two men, all attacked from behind and killed blitz-style, either by a single bullet to the back of the head or multiple stab wounds.<<

Locators don't do much good there.

benn
rd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"All" may not have a prior record, but "most" do. Also, part of what I write is that these offenders serve every day of their sentence and that we build all the cheap prisons in the desert we need to keep them every day of their sentence without breaking the bank.

I write about it, I can write more details, I doubt that anyone that can do anything about it much cares to listen. They've got a system, it doesn't work, but it's their system.

The man that kidnapped and murdered Jessica Lunsford was convicted of sexual offenses, was a registered sex offender, and only served two years of his ten year sentence.

The man that kidnapped and murdered Jetseta Gage was convicted of sexual offenses, and was also a registered sex offender.

That's just this thread in the last two weeks.

The man that kidnapped and murdered Carlie Brucia was convicted of sexual offenses and just served a one year sentence.

The man that kidnapped and murdered Dru Sjodin was convicted of sexual offenses and served 27 years. He was still on parole when she diaappeared.

GPS recorders are needed for these men running around in our real world, not a pipedream world from someone's fondest memories. These men need to be tracked and know that we know everywhere they go, also without breaking the bank. GPS location recorders do that.

Only then will we break the psychology of the lurking predator roaming anonymously, waiting for another victim.

rd
benn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd, the only way that I can conceive of having even a slight chance of tipping the scales in our direction is by writing to my two U.S. Senators, and perhaps my new U.S. Congresswoman Doris Matsui.

Doris Matsui's husband supported Gary Condit when Condit was still in office, so I don't know how she stands, but of course Condit is not part of this prison and locator problem anyway.

I guess I will take the time to write my three representatives in Congress, but with no special rush priority. First things first, whatever other chores I have to do. All three of my representatives are women, so maybe I can throw something into my letter that will catch their attention.

benn
blondie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that a Florida State Senator or Rep is trying to get something going on locators since Jessica. Who knows though the ACLU will probably block it. It would only include Fla, so the predators would probably just go somewhere else.
rd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The occasional county here or there is not going to cut it. It has to be nationwide, as part of Homeland Security.

Heck, they are looking for 10,000 convicted illegals right now. That's illegals. mind you. Still running around, still committing crimes every day. There are thugs running around everywhere. No one is safe because we won't keep track of the bad guys.

How do illegals get back out on the street anyway? By appealing and making us spend thousands of dollars to prove they are illegal, meanwhile they are long gone. They surely must think we are fools.

Also, using locators to track people is hugely expensive. I am not talking about that at all. I am talking about GPS recorders which just store away the location in memory every minute or so.

Once a week when the ex-felon reports to a probation monitoring location the readinsg would be downloaded to a computer and stored away. Locations outside of the local area with id and time and date would be forwarded to the region that handles that area.

When a crime is committed, the location is typed into the location tracking database. Every felon who was in that area during the time period would be a suspect, or rather, person of interest.

More importantly, everyone who wan't would not be, and the "alibi" wouldn't be coming from other thugs who claim he was with them.

This would have had an enormous impact on Chandra's case. A year after Chandra was found DC police said they still couldn't locate and investigate all the sex offenders in the area. The defense lawyers such as Geragos claim is that with so many who could be guilty, no one is guilty.

It is up to us to let these thugs know that we will know everywhere they have been and when they were there. If they remove the monitor, they go to jail and serve the remainder of their probation in jail.

In Chandra's case, we would see that none of these felons on probation was in Rock Creek Park where Chandra was found.

In Laci's case, we would see that none of these felons on probation were in San Francisco Bay where Laci was found.

Geragos' defense that sex offenders are to blame for Chandra's and Laci's disappearances would be shown to be the lie that it is.

It is time to track the bad guys, for they commit most of the crimes and are blamed for the rest. We need to know where they've been. They lost the right to roam anonymously looking for victims when they were released on probation or to wait for a hearing, such as Guandique just before Chandra disappeared.

There is no indication and no history of the ACLU or judges blocking monitoring convicted felons on probation. That is a common assumption, but it is unfounded.

The GPS recorder will answer the questions, if we are smart enough to record the answers.

rd
jane

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Benn. Well, I think it's safe to say that Jessica's killer is trash. He deliberately kidnapped, molested, and strangled her to death for his own gratification. I believe the Bible teaches that the only part of any of us that will last is whatever good character we develop, with God's help, in this life. I think it's safe to say that this perp has developed none, so there won't be any sterling character, like pure gold, to come through the fire.
propria

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the midst of the horror of one news report right after another telling us about more and more little girls being snatched away, raped and killed by known sexual offenders, i am beginning to see one small ray of hope: i am finally hearing frequent references to the need to track convicted sexual predators with gps or similar devices from the moment they leave prison to the moment they draw their last breath. i do understand the points made here about the high cost of tracking these predators, but i would much rather spend money on gps bracelets than on search and recover operations that almost always end up finding a dead child.

it drives me right up the wall that the gps bracelet concept is being discussed as though it were a brand new idea that just popped up this morning, while rd and others have been calling for exactly that here on this board ... probably elsewhere, too ... for at least three or four years now. i have to wonder just how far we're going to slide down the slippery slope of secular humanism and its theology of moral relativism before we catch on that we're spilling the blood of little children in order to avoid holding sexual predators fully accountable for their evil deeds. we've already slid more than far enough to accurately label ourselves a depraved society, so right now is the perfect time to bring that hellbent skid to a screeching halt, and damned fast at that.

nanci
benn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, write to your elected officials about any corrections needed in keeping known criminals from repeating. If the elected officials get enough letters they start getting worried about getting re-elected.

Someone with enough time and knowhow, leaves me out, might start an advocate group to work on just this one project gps locators.

Where I live a lot of people make noises about various complaints against the government, but a lot of those people don't even vote.

benn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Murder on a Horse Trail All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: