www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index www.justiceforchandra.com
Justice for Chandra Levy and missing women

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Case closed for Scott Peterson?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiyoung80

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Case closed for Scott Peterson? Reply with quote

So far, I'm not impressed with the evidence presented by the prosecution. Yes there's plenty of circumstantial evidence, but nothing really concrete (no pun intended) to convict him of the charges. It's a shame because I do feel that he's guilty as sin, but it just seems that they let the defense have it easy. What I think would have been great to have seen would be Court TV's anchorwoman, Nancy Grace, against Scott Peterson. From what I've read, she has a perfect record of nearly 100 felony convictions at trial - and no losses while she worked as a prosecutor in Atlanta.

What does everyone here think? Do you think we'll have yet another killer walking free?

Court TV gives the most extensive trial coverage during the day, but I'm at work until 6pm usually. From what I hear though, during the closing arguments (which start on Monday, 11/1) they are going to give Nancy Grace her own 2-hour show from 6pm-8pm to review that day's events. That kind of works perfectly for me, and hopefully will give us some insite on what's going on that courtroom.

Kimberly
jane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kiy - I think it'll be a hung jury, like what happened with the mock jury on 48 Hrs the other night.
benn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Christians used to have a slogan....."when the guilty go free the judge stands condemned."

If the guilty go free our justice system stands condemned. (This last sentence is my version.)

If the defendant can't talk, why can't he talk? The justice system has made up its own set of rules.

benn
rd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kimberly, welcome. I believe they will convict of second degree murder because as you described the prosecution was done poorly, too poorly to convict of first degree murder. I don;t think they'll let him walk. That's important to Chandra's case because it does show that a circumstantial case can be tried and won.

Kate has posted about Capano's case being similar, missing woman never found, but it was light years from a circumstantial case. Very small spatters of her blood were found on the baseboard of Capano's den and his brothers testified against him, one who described dumping her body at sea. No comparison at all to these difficult cases of Laci and Chandra's murders.

Thanks for posting on this Kimberly and we look forward to more interesting discussion.

rd
peripeteia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings kiyo, welcome aboard. Regretfully I have to agree with you analysis of the outcome of the trial. I think that there is further evidence to gather, for example I feel that there is a link with the robbers and scott perhaps it is once or twice removed, but the robbery which took place across the street was arranged by scott. I believe that Scott made two trips to Berkerly area the early morning and at noon, that he likely started off from a westerly area in Richmond Bay near the point, dumped Laci's body and could not get his boat out of the water at low tide, had to dock it at the marina and went back for it at noon time in high tide. I think the police should have sealed the house, they should have gotten a search warrant much sooner. Scott should have been taken to the station and questioned immediately.

If it is a hung jury, perhaps the evidence will be put togher right this time without police interference with the evidence and that the evidence will be processed with more diligence.

Wishing you happy posting!

Does anyone know if it is a hung jury, if Scott will be set free, or will he be obliged to remain in prison? How long can the police keep a person under such circumstances? I'd be very disappointed to see Scott released as he is a flight risk, as that was no golfing picnic he had packed when he was picked up by the police, he was headed out of Dodge before sundown, and he would not hesitate to do it again, and with such obling and enabiling parents it would be a given that he would be sent to somewhere obscure. Jackie would have him stoded on the first slow junk to China.
rd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree dismissing the alleged coincidence of the robbery was stupid then, stupid now. If Peterson gets off, it'll be because of that attitude that I railed against all along. People kept saying they didn't need to investigate, they had blood evidence and such to convict him. They had nothing, but they acted like they did.

I don't know the answer to your question, I assume it'd be back to a bail hearing to see whether the state intends to pursue the case, risk of flight, etc. I believe his family would help escape to Mexico based on thier belief he is being persecuted in the US. But I sure hope it doesn't come to that. Second degree murder it will be, I think, because of uncertainty of first degree as presented by this prosecution team.

rd
peripeteia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rd:

What will happen now is anyone's guess, and it is highly probable that the jury will be hung, and that there will be an impass. There too seems grounds for Scott to later appeal this case if convicted due to the behavior of Brocchini, so perhaps a hung jury would be the way to go in this case, and start the whole thing over.?

I hope the jury has the same picture that we have of Scott being a cold blooded ruthless murderer, but whether the prosecution has proven this to the jury remains to be seen.

I'm not any longer a betting person, and given the election in the US has gone south, all beating is off. There seems a high probability for a hung jury. IF this is so, it is only the police who are to blame for blundering the evidence, as from the get go, it was apparent that there has been one and only one suspect, and that is Scott Peterson. Only Scott had motive and means and opportunity to commit the murder of his wife.

Hopefull the jury has done their homework!!
propria

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this from the new york times ...

Scott Peterson Sentenced to Death for Killing Pregnant Wife

By DEAN E. MURPHY

Published: March 17, 2005

EDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 16 - The court hearing on Wednesday in the case of Scott Peterson was called so that he could be formally sentenced here in the killing of his pregnant wife, Laci.

But the sentence of death, which was imposed by Judge Alfred A. Delucchi on the recommendation of a jury, seemed almost a footnote to the emotional exchanges in the courtroom between Ms. Peterson's family and Mr. Peterson.

"You are going to burn in hell for this, you are," Ms. Peterson's father, Dennis Rocha, yelled when the judge gave him an opportunity to address Mr. Peterson. "Your life is done."

In a trial heavy with sadness and feelings of betrayal, it was perhaps the saddest day of all, as hearts were bared, emotions vented, long-festering questions posed and even some civility abandoned.

It was the first time since Mr. Peterson was found guilty last November in the killings of Laci Peterson and her fetus that her loved ones spoke directly and openly to him about the crime. Unlike their previous statements during the trial, no oaths were given, and no lawyers interrupted with questions or objections.

One by one, with scribbled and typed notes clenched in their fists, they stood at a lectern placed a few yards from Mr. Peterson and vented their rage at the man they said they had once loved.

Some used vulgar phrases in addressing Mr. Peterson, while others berated him with shouts and finger pointing. Ms. Peterson's brother Brent Rocha said he had bought a gun and had intended to kill Mr. Peterson long ago but decided he would rather watch him "sweat it out and not take the easy way out."

In a wrenching display toward the end of the hearing, Ms. Peterson's mother, Sharon Rocha, assumed the roles of her daughter and the grandchild that was never born, pleading aloud in a trembling voice for "Daddy" not to kill "Mommy and me."

"Daddy, why are you killing us?" Ms. Rocha said, weeping as she spoke on behalf of the 8-month-old fetus, which was to be named Conner. "I know you will love me."

Though there was plenty of crying throughout the courtroom, Mr. Peterson, 32, sat stoically through most of it, only occasionally whispering to one of his lawyers, Mark Geragos, and at one point faintly shaking his head in disagreement when Ms. Rocha accused him of plotting for weeks before the murders.

"Yes, you did!" Ms. Rocha shot back.

Several jurors from Mr. Peterson's trial who returned to the courtroom on Wednesday said Mr. Peterson's demeanor was reminiscent of the trial. The prosecution had portrayed his unflinching behavior as the cool calculation of a killer.

"Scott came in with a great big smile on his face, laughing, it was just another day in paradise for Scott, another day that he had to go through the motions," said one juror, Mike Belmessieri. "Scott had no emotion on his face. Scott was being Scott."

Some members of Mr. Peterson's family, sitting in the rows directly behind him, became agitated at the accusations by Ms. Peterson's relatives, with his father, Lee Peterson, shouting, "You're a liar!" when Brent Rocha was speaking.

The judge warned Lee Peterson to be quiet, and a short time later, he left the courtroom and did not return. Scott Peterson's mother, Jackie, soon followed and also did not return. Judge Delucchi turned down a request by Mr. Geragos to allow the Petersons to speak, saying it was not their daughter who had been killed.

The judge later offered Scott Peterson the opportunity to make a statement. Mr. Peterson huddled with his lawyers for a brief moment, after which Mr. Geragos said he declined.

During the trial, the prosecution argued that Mr. Peterson, a fertilizer salesman from Modesto, Calif., killed his wife so that he could carry on a relationship with another woman, Amber Frey. Laci Peterson, 27, was reported missing from their home on Dec. 24, 2002, and her body and that of her fetus were found four months later in San Francisco Bay.

Mr. Peterson has maintained his innocence, and on Wednesday, his lawyers unsuccessfully petitioned Judge Delucchi for a new trial. Mr. Peterson, who was ordered to pay $10,000 restitution for funeral expenses, will soon be transferred from the county jail here to death row at San Quentin State Prison. Under California law, his case will automatically be appealed to the State Supreme Court.

http://www.nytimes.com/auth/login?URI=http://www.nytimes.com/+
2005/03/17/national/17peterson.html&OP=62b334e5/Q2Bb(EQ2B5Q+
5EGq}Q5EQ5EiQ3BQ2BQ3BQ3DQ3DvQ2BQ3D6Q2BQ24!Q2BwWi3Q5+
EwWQ23Q2BQ24!_(i(}qQ5EweQ60icQ23

i can't say i'm sorry to hear that scott has started his long, slow stroll down crispy critter lane ... i suspect he'll face execution by inmate a lot sooner than he does the california electric chair, but either way works for me. i hope the chance to express some of their overwhelming rage at the loss of laci and connor opens the door to healing for laci's family.

nanci
rd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard Greta discuss this with her panel and they were really struck by Sharon Rocha's conveying Laci's and Conner's questions of why to Peterson through her voice.

It moved nearly everyone to tears, everyone except Scott Peterson.

What was funny was that another defense lawyer, Geoffrey Feiger, said that he for one was glad he wouldn't have to listen anymore about what a great lawyer Geragos was. I hope we get to see more of him though with Condit.

rd
propria

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure how many folks here have seen news clips of scott being transferred to san quentin, but i was really struck by the smirk on his face in his booking photo, and again when he was being taken down a hallway by two deputies. i don't really know how to find stuff like that on the internet, but if someone can locate and paste in the booking photo, i think you'd see what i'm talking about ... i get the sense that he almost sees himself as some kind of real pretty boy bad a$$ who's going to rule the roost on death row. NOT!!!

nanci
laskipper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nanci,

I think that he still believes he is going to beat the rap somehow. That is what I saw on his face as he was lead down the hall after the Judge gave him
the death sentence. I don't think that he really thinks it can happen to HIM.

Maybe Geragos is feeding the family a story of how he plans to appeal (again) or find some reason to get the verdict overturned?

His family marched out. First Lee and then Jackie. Reality must have sunk in for them anyway.

Sad case, I feel so badly for Laci's family. Especially her mother.

ls
benn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of messages that I read on the Peterson forum at ModBee mentioned Scott as taking Viagara. I don't know if that is true or not. Of course then they mentioned the Dan White twinkie defense, the twinkies made him do it. Did the Viagara make Scott do it? Of course not, whatever made him do it, he did it.

We can remember about Dan White, though, that he got out in five years. I wanted him to get the death sentence, but a five year sentence was certainly not enough. I thought that he would have been better off with a longer sentence. As it was when he got out of prison he committed suicide.

benn
rd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I heard tonight is that Geragos would not be doing the appeal, that looking at Geragos' performance will be part of the appeal.

I don't read much into that. It is just standard defense lawyer shell game stuff, but we won't be seeing any more from Geragos on this.

rd
laskipper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an attorney in Florida that filed a complaint against Geragos for the boat incident. Kinda like the Judicial Watch complaints.

I imagine you will be hearing more about that as relates to this case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.justiceforchandra.com Forum Index -> Chandra Levy and missing women All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: